Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

router choice for lastmile

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I've been using their service for a few months without fault.

Recently bought a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO Modem Router (Part # F5D9630uk4A) which has PPPoE to get away from the Cat5 cable they provide off their connection.

However, it only has a phone socket for ADSL cable alongside the 4 Cat5 ports.

Have I bought a useless router for what I need? or can I use one of the 4 ports for the incoming Cat5 broadband connection?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You've bought the wrong router, you could use it as an access point only by using one of the four ports as input, but you'll not be able to set pppoe settings on this input & you'll still have to connect to pppoe etc. on laptop everytime you turn it on after its connected to access point.

My advise would be to return the router for the proper one. Don't get a Belkin next time either as they're $hite

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Thanks for the response.

So with PPPoE setup on the (correct) router, if the connection drops (as sometimes happens with wireless BB) would it automatically reconnect immediately?
    ...just curious.

And any ideas on what to look for in a router when I bring it back? Don't want to make the same mistake again.
    I've been told about a Buffalo router, but didn't get a product number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

scaldybelt wrote: »
    So with PPPoE setup on the (correct) router, if the connection drops (as sometimes happens with wireless BB) would it automatically reconnect immediately?
    ...just curious.

Yes
    scaldybelt wrote: »
    And any ideas on what to look for in a router when I bring it back? Don't want to make the same mistake again.
    I've been told about a Buffalo router, but didn't get a product number.

Not an ADSL router modem this time, wireless router is what you're looking for. Linksys, Dlink or Netgear.........just not a Belkin :D

Advertisement