Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

posted money in normal envelope to s.america

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hi All,

have a friend who sent a letter (not registered) to s.america containing €150.
    when it arrived in s.america the letter had been opened,money removed and the letter with torn envelope was in a new an-post envelope with the same destination address.
    its seems pretty clear that someone in An Post scanned for the money, removed it and then sent in another envelope.
    I know my friend should have sent registered post or via bank but was wondering do people on here have any similar stories?

I dont think theres much point complaining to An post as I guess they wi8ll do nothing

BR

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Got a mass card sent to me last year after my grandmother died. End of envelope and top of card ripped off and missing, arrived in an post clear plastic envelope marked 'damaged in transit'. Pretty obvious from the way it was torn some **** thought it might be a birthday card with money in it. Complained to an post but never heard anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

as I suspected MOH
    friend is going to s.america soon and will bring back both envelopes
    have a mate in special branch so i might give him a call and ask him what to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

as I suspected MOH
    have a mate in special branch so i might give him a call and ask him what to do..

An post are quite clear in saying not to post cash, I can't imagine much will happen about it...espically when it wasn't registered....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I have a friend in MI6 if you'd like me to pass along the details. Just put €150 back in the envelope to demonstrate the original state of the package and post it to "Dahamsta, Cork".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

They will most likely just say it got damaged by machinery (it can happen, I've seen some letters practically shredded) but they may have the money. Very often vouchers & cash etc drop out of letters and when you have a pile of them you've no idea which one it came out of. The delivery office I worked at recorded and held all of them in case people wrote in looking for them, I would definitely suggest you complain but just don't be too hopeful about it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Hopefully An Post can stamp this sort of thing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

How would you know it wasn't damaged on the s.america side?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

jhegarty wrote: »
    An post are quite clear in saying not to post cash, I can't imagine much will happen about it...espically when it wasn't registered....

Agreed, its one thing about 10e in a card but anybody sending anything like 150e in cash, unregistered is a bloody ejit and they have no come back.

I mean how hard is it to get a bank draft or do a money transfer, An Post are extremely clear about all this as already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭chancer_007

oh how hindsight is a wonderful thing!

the letter had been opened and put in an an post envelope!
    dont think s.american countries carry an post envelopes...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Boom Boom!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Tell your friend he is an idiot and leave it at that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yes hindsight is lovely, however this has nothing to do with hindsight and more to do with common sense, sending any large amounts of cash in the post is just bloody stupid,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

kmick wrote: »

Agreed,
    He should've sellotaped 3 x €50 notes to a pidgeon and told him were to go, at least it might've come back to him....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

the letter had been opened and put in an an post envelope!
    dont think s.american countries carry an post envelopes...

No need for the sarcasim - i accidently mis read.
    Agree with the last two posters - Common sense not to post cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

kmick wrote: »

Agree :rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Bad Post

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It is heartening to know that the Branch men will be investigating why a fool put money in an envelope to an unspecified South American country rather than using the special envelope An Post supply for posting money.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

TBH, only an idiot would put that much money and send it half way around the world uninsured and expect it to arrive intact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lennox1

About a year ago I ordered Oyster cards for use on London Tube.They were posted from Dublin office.I received an envelope in a clear plastic An Post bag saying damaged in transit,sorry.Inside was the envelope from the Dublin office,neatly split top and side,but the tickets had disappeared!However they had left a tourist guide in the envelope!Very thoughtful of them.
    I complained to An Post but they couldn't find out what happened to the tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm sorry but your friend is an idiot to think it is ok to post cash anywhere! For a few euro he could have gotten a postal order which only the recipient could cash, or sent it western union, or done a bank transfer - why didn't he do that?

Why did he send EUROS to a south american country in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

parsi wrote: »
    It is heartening to know that the Branch men will be investigating why a fool put money in an envelope to an unspecified South American country rather than using the special envelope An Post supply for posting money.

It's disheartening that your such a fool yourself Parsi, only when your scribbling in your blog or antagonising/antagonizing people. There is no such special envelope that An post supply. You cant get a special envelope from An post for posting money. I also put two versions of antagonising to satisfy your eccentricity for acrimony.Registered post is the preferred method and naturally that is just a tag they attach to whatever envelope you happen to use.
    I had a birthday card sent to me in Dublin which I never received which had cash in it. I never suspected An Post for a second nor do I, but all the same that very same week a gang of hoodlums were caught and one was an inside man stealing the contents of post boxes.They got fours years in mountjoy prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

pirelli wrote: »
    It's disheartening that your such a fool yourself Parsi, only when your scribbling in your blog or antagonising/antagonizing people. There is no such special envelope that An post supply. You cant get a special envelope from An post for posting money. I also put two versions of antagonising to satisfy your eccentricity for acrimony.Registered post is the preferred method and naturally that is just a tag they attach to whatever envelope you happen to use.
    I had a birthday card sent to me in Dublin which I never received which had cash in it. I never suspected An Post for a second nor do I, but all the same that very same week a gang of hoodlums were caught and one was an inside man stealing the contents of post boxes.They got fours years in mountjoy prison.

Actually they do, or used to, have special envelopes. They were made of that super tough fibre stuff (looked like paper but wouldn't rip like paper if you know what I mean) and I always used to get them for mailing money. I don't know if they were specifically for cash, but that's what I always got them for. Or they can just tag whatever envelope you use also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Why should An Post be responsible for irresponsible (although idiotic seems more accurate) consumer behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

ellscurr wrote: »
    Actually they do, or used to, have special envelopes.
    Sounds like a bit of a silly idea, from a security point of view, that it.

It might as well just read "SPECIAL ENVELOPE - CONTAINS MONEY" on the front of it.

Edit: The OP's friend is clearly a chancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why should An Post be responsible for irresponsible (although idiotic seems more accurate) consumer behaviour?

tsk tsk tsk! getting slow in our old age? re-read and look for a joke in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Stekelly wrote: »
    tsk tsk tsk! getting slow in our old age? re-read and look for a joke in there.

Seems your comedy is retired!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seems your comedy is retired!

Wasnt my comedy but I got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Somebody sent me a key once in the post and it had been torn off and the key removed. It didn't bother me as the key was for a seperate place to the delivery address on the envelope. It appears there are some very dishonest peopel working in An Post though. No surprise really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

as I suspected MOH

call the A team

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

pirelli wrote: »
    It's disheartening that your such a fool yourself Parsi, only when your scribbling in your blog or antagonising/antagonizing people. There is no such special envelope that An post supply. You cant get a special envelope from An post for posting money. I also put two versions of antagonising to satisfy your eccentricity for acrimony.Registered post is the preferred method and naturally that is just a tag they attach to whatever envelope you happen to use

Tut tut tut.

Go to your local Post Office and ask them to show you the tamper-proof envelopes they supply if you say that you are sending cash via registered post.

Please think before your type anymore inaccurate rubbish.

Advertisement