Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Share Host

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

Im currently looking for a video sharing host, and if anyone has any ideas or point me in the right direction I would be very greatful.

I would required a fair amount of space and bandwith.

If you can imagine something like youtube, but not on the same scale.

I would need the server to support the following:

Linux Server (some old distributions are not supported)
    Apache Web Server
    MySQL (version 4 +)
    PHP (version 4.3)
    PHP Configuration
    upload_max_filesize = 100M
    post_max_size = 100M
    GD Library 2 or higher
    Mplayer + Mencoder
    Flv2tool
    Libogg + Libvorbis
    LAME MP3 Encoder
    CGI-BIN Access
    Apache mod_rewrite Enabled
    PHP Configuration (php.ini): register_argc_argv = On
    Must be able to run PHP from the command line (CLI) with exec()
    Allowed execution of background processes with exec("binary > /dev/null &")
    FULL SSH root access

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved to Webmaster from Nets & Comms seems a bit more suitable for here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

To clarify, are you looking for a youtube style service, or have you built one that you now want to host?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

To clarify, are you looking for a youtube style service, or have you built one that you now want to host?

Hi Steve,
    Its a youtube style host. More accurately www.clip-share.com

From a quick read of the requirements, you're looking at a dedicated server (the custom modules and php upload limits are not going to be available on most standard shared hosting solutions).

Don't know if that helps - you're looking at a 100 euro a month min budget for dedicated.

From a quick read of the requirements, you're looking at a dedicated server (the custom modules and php upload limits are not going to be available on most standard shared hosting solutions).

Don't know if that helps - you're looking at a 100 euro a month min budget for dedicated.

Hmm! I was originally thinking of that, but being honest, i want to go down the cheaper route to start with. The 100MB limit is way too high to be honest. Anywhere between 5MB - 10MB would suit me fine. The custom modules are AFAIK simple server side programs (can be downloaded).

• Advertisement

True, but the full root access, and ability to run php from the command line would only come with a VPS or dedicated server.

True, but the full root access, and ability to run php from the command line would only come with a VPS or dedicated server.

Just had a look there at the site. Full Root access is only required for them to install everything if they do it. Im sure to do it myself I wouldnt need it.
    Also, the run php from the command line is part of the extra feature. Not required. So by process of elimination, I have removed quite alot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd have serious concerns about a script that hasn't been tested on php5

A lot of the other requirements are only going to be met on a dedicated / vps server, such as the max timeout, open basedir values etc., etc.

Anyone who allowed those kind of settings on a shared server would be asking for trouble

As I said above, agree with BK, dedicated is the only way to go - any shared host that will put this on a box with other customers is just irresponsible.

Advertisement