Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reselling Hosting..

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm looking into who might be best to go with for reselling hosting, it's thru the company I work for. I had a look at most of the Irish Hosters (1) and they seem much of a muchness, with digiweb being fairly strange in the way they try to do reselling.

So what I'm looking for is more personal reccommendations, yes I've used A or B and found them good, or personal information that will make my choice a better one, should I be looking at american hosting etc ?

TIA

Junior

(1) http://blog.whoisireland.com/2007/06/11/top-irish-web-hosters-june-2007/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

I use both Hosting365 and Blacknight and have done for the past few years. My honest opinion:

H365 - Good Control Panel. Support is available 24x7 via online chat, while freephone during office hours. Support staff never sound like they want to talk to you and it can get annoying if you have a problem that needs sorting and it seems nobody cares! They've had 2 major outage issues in the past 2 years but in general service is good, price is good, and you should have no problems with them.

Blacknight - has similar prices to H365 but the service and attitude of staff is so much better in my opinion. Your call is welcomed and you really feel like they want you as a customer. Have had no issues with service and any small items have been resolved very quickly.

Can't comment on Digiweb as never really did much stuff with them but I know they are coming back into the hosting scene big time these days and things seem to be going well for them. Haven't heard anything bad about them these days.

Personally I prefer Blacknight! Ring both of them yourself and have a chat!

Rgds, Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I agree with DJB - if you like what they offer then give them a call.

Also, print out the various reseller packages each host has and compare them side by side.

I wouldn't look at US hosting. The Irish market is very competitive and in my opinion the support is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hey Dave - our staff do care :) We're also the only host offering true round the clock support to all customers. As for outages - all you have to do is read the other hosts blogs and you will see plenty of 'major' outages also. Outages happen to the best of hosts, it's what is done about them that matters.

Ring / chat / email around - for one, we're in the middle of a complete re-design of our sites - www.register365.com being our 'direct' site - and are planning new reseller options.

Feel free to pm or email me directly if you have any questions or need any help deciding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Blacknight are extremely open and transparent with every aspect of our operations. You'll find Issues dating far back in time along with present day issues on our Blog.

We always publish issues we have for informational purposes. Problems happen and as Steve says it's how they are dealt with that matters. However, I can assure you we've never had a reoccurring issue crop up in relation to network outages or service delivery.

I'm not sure if the same can be said for all our competitors.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    The Irish market ... the support is better.

I would have to politely disagree with that :) (although I can one speak for one or two hosts.)

I always say this, but for peace of mind it's nice to have your websites in Ireland. They're "down the road", covered by the Irish legal system, and as a bonus you're supporting Irish business.

• Advertisement

Hey Dave - our staff do care :) We're also the only host offering true round the clock support to all customers. As for outages - all you have to do is read the other hosts blogs and you will see plenty of 'major' outages also. Outages happen to the best of hosts, it's what is done about them that matters.

Ring / chat / email around - for one, we're in the middle of a complete re-design of our sites - www.register365.com being our 'direct' site - and are planning new reseller options.

Feel free to pm or email me directly if you have any questions or need any help deciding
    Steve - it's just the attitude of some of your support staff that I don't like and as I said it feels like they don't care - oh, another support call, thanks for telling me your issue, now can you email me, good bye - and it's in the most dreary voice!

In saying that, I did have an issue with a few sites today (I thought you were picking on me because of my post - only messing), picked up the phone and got through to Colm. Much better response from him (he's from the old culture of H365) and we finished the call with "I'm IMing the engineers now and it should be up again in a minute or two" - and it was. You need more like him answering your phones! :D

As I've said before Stephen - it's the culture change your organization has gone through that I dislike - bring back the culture of old!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Guys, thanks in advance for keeping on topic and not letting this get into a slagging match like the Hosting forum before we had to close it :)

flamegrill: I modified your first line slightly for clarification.

Hi Dave,

I hear what you're saying about culture - with a staff headcount heading into the late 50's it's hard to maintain consistency. That said - the culture hasnt changed, as you experienced today from Colm, and the 'heart' of the organisation is still a small, aggressive, disruptive, cost leading innovative provider :) It's just not fair to label our support 'dismissive' and tar all the hard working, well meaning team with the same brush :):)

To conclude, all in all - I host with both Blacknight and H365, and if you want a reseller account, I'd recommend both really. Personally I prefer Blacknight because of their size - I just like dealing with the underdog - they're more hungry IMO!

Steve - it's that consistency that's difficult in a larger company. I suppose that's a good problem to have! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

DJB wrote: »
    To conclude, all in all - I host with both Blacknight and H365, and if you want a reseller account, I'd recommend both really. Personally I prefer Blacknight because of their size - I just like dealing with the underdog - they're more hungry IMO!

Hmmm.. ... It's a mixed compliment :)

I'm not sure I like us being described as an "under" anything!

• Advertisement

Sorry about that Michele! All with the best intentions! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

DJB wrote: »
    Sorry about that Michele! All with the best intentions! :D
    that's what they all say :(

Don't feel bad - until three years ago we were the underdogs too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Junior

Thanks for all the replies guys, I was pulling for one company in particular from personal experience outside of work, so at least now I have more opinions to add to that mix.

Advertisement