Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good book review site

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Looking for some advice, I use rottentomatoes.com a lot to find out about good upcoming films or DVDs and read magazines like Q to find out about new bands or albums, but I find it hard to find info on good new books. Everyone knows about the classics and I've read them all but what about new ones, I love reading but there's nothing worse than picking up a new book and it's pants. So any advice?

Tx

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I usually read the reviews on Amazon if I'm undecided about trying a book.

The reviews are just from punters who've read it - so if a book there gets consistently good reviews you'll probably not go far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭SlyRax

well what I'm looking for is if i don't know what to read next i would like a sight like rottentomatoes.com where I can look at a list of books released recently and order them by a rating. I've been using metacritic but it isn't quite as good as rotten tomatoes, maybe I'll start a web site like it only for books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭sdep

You could try librarything.

It's a site that lets people catalogue, review and rate books. You can get a list of books rated by popularity, which is fine if you like JK Rowling. More usefully, if you plug in books you've read and liked, you can get recommendations of similarly-themed books, or books that readers with like interests have enjoyed.

Advertisement