Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to NYC

Options
  • 03-01-2008 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Guys

I broke up with my girl over the christmas, it was tottally out of the blue. And it was for something she thought I did, and no matter how I try to tell her, thats its stupid for her to be angry and break up coz it didnt happen she wont listen.

Anyway I want to get out of ireland, and spent a few summers on a J1 in NYC. I want to go like tomorrow, while I have good friends and good job here, I cant stay around.
    Is it easy to get a working visa from being inside the states. I am a qualified accountant so I should get work easily enough, just hope that I will get working visa from the company who I get the job off. Is this possible??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Guys

I broke up with my girl over the christmas, it was tottally out of the blue. And it was for something she thought I did, and no matter how I try to tell her, thats its stupid for her to be angry and break up coz it didnt happen she wont listen.

Anyway I want to get out of ireland, and spent a few summers on a J1 in NYC. I want to go like tomorrow, while I have good friends and good job here, I cant stay around.
    Is it easy to get a working visa from being inside the states. I am a qualified accountant so I should get work easily enough, just hope that I will get working visa from the company who I get the job off. Is this possible??

No, it's not easy. In fact I think it's impossible. Think of all the immigrants who are there illegally - they'd have just done the same*.
    My advice to you is to wait til the summer and get the J1, in the mean time you can tie up any loose ends. If you run away like this, you're just running from your problems, but they won't go away.

*Edit: In fact even some of the larger American companies who employ immigrants for cheap labour have lobbied to have them legalised to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Without being too harsh you sound like you need a slap mate.

You broke up with your gf over something you didn't do and so you're running off to the states? Are you stupid?

First off, as has been said, you can't get there legally overnight. Secondly, what? Seriously man, get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Movershaker

It's not easy. If you really want to do it you should go over for 2 or 3 months on a holiday visa and try and find a job in that time. You can then get yourself a J1 professional training visa which you can have for a maximum of 18 months. You'll have to go home to get it sorted and it could take a few weeks.

What you really need is a H1B visa but you need to apply for those in March and they are not issued until October. The chances of a company holding a job open for you that long are unlikely. Also, a lot of companies are reluctant to hire foreign workers because visas involve a lot of red tape and paperwork, so it would help if you had some contacts. Alternatively, if your company has offices in New York you could get an inter-company transfer which requires a different visa and is a lot easier.

In a nutshell, you need to look into this more, it's very difficult to get working visas in the U.S. Sort out your head first, it sounds a little bit like you're running away from your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Moved to Abroad.

Advertisement