Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating cold house

Options
  • 03-01-2008 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,
    My first thread here and I hope I have the right place.

I live in rented frozen cold terraced house built circa WW2. Is there any ay I can heat it more effectively without drying the place out. I keep waking up in the morning parched and generally suffering dry skin problems. Obiously I'm trying to sort this with free standing heating as it's not my house and I'll probably be moving out in the summer.

Any ideas??

Comments

More diy, but one thing you could do is use infra red heat lamps, these make you feel warm without heating the fabric of the building.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Moved to Gardening/DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I wonder if you have two distinct problems here... one being the cold temperature and the other being dehydration.
    You can get oil heaters which have a small water carrier on the top of them to assist in keeping the air moist. You may also drape a damp towel over the back of a chair near to the heater to assist in rehydrating. I have done this a number of times in hotel rooms where it's often stuffy.

And finally, if you have access to the celing space above your room, invest in some rockwool insulation and install it between the rafters. You could just cover your room in 150mm depth of rockwool to great effect! It would cost approx €60 for 14m squared.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I wonder if you have two distinct problems here... one being the cold temperature and the other being dehydration.
    You can get oil heaters which have a small water carrier on the top of them to assist in keeping the air moist. You may also drape a damp towel over the back of a chair near to the heater to assist in rehydrating. I have done this a number of times in hotel rooms where it's often stuffy.

Thats a good old skiers trick, its gets very dry in ski hotel/chalets so you stick a pot of water on top and it evapourates away adding some much needed moisture back into the room.

• Advertisement

GreeBo, the 'dryness' you refer to is caused by too many shots at the bar, apres-ski eh... but I digress...

OP, maybe consider some embalming oils for your skin to prevent drying out. We use Silcock's Base on our son's skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

move out.

The only solution i would be bothered with would consist of some proper refurbisging of the house.. ie drylining, attic insulation etc..

This costs money but is effective.

No cheap effecive solutions im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

10-10-20 wrote: »
    GreeBo, the 'dryness' you refer to is caused by too many shots at the bar, apres-ski eh... but I digress...

OP, maybe consider some embalming oils for your skin to prevent drying out. We use Silcock's Base on our son's skin.

but the shots are to counteract the very low humidity!
    hic:p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thats great guys, will try all suggestions out- I'm getting the brandy bottle right n......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Cantdecide
    Is their adequate ventilation in your bed room when you say your parched and generally suffering dry skin don’t block up vents in bedrooms its needed for good health and reducing condensation if you have mould in the corners of rooms and behind bedroom furniture the room is not ventilated enough mould produces spores in the air and are unhealthy
    You can fit adjustable vents to reduce air flow
    Putting a large bowl of scented water in the same room as you sleep will help reduce dehydration and you can add any cent you like to it
    If your windows are single glazing secondary glazing is an option but if you’re moving out maybe not
    On the cheap you can fit rubber seals to windows and doors and use sealer on any damaged glazing
    As mentioned before insulating the attic space should be considered

How much will your landlord pay for is up to how persuasive you are
    Hope this helps regards jbcford

• Advertisement
Advertisement