Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Academic Reference from Uni years later?

• 03-01-2008 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I left University over 5 years ago. I have a transcript of my results but I never thought to get a reference from a lecturer or project supervisor.

Now that I am thinking of going back to do postgraduate studies, I need an academic reference. Can people tell me from their experience, if you got a reference from a lecturer, did he/she only mention the subject(s) he/she taught you, or was your overall academic performance descibed (I guess your lecturer for subject A can't mention anything about subjects B, C and D?) Similarly if you got a reference from a project supervisor, was just your project mentioned? In that regard, when I do get in touch with somebody from my former department to seek a reference, are they likely to ask me what I would like included in the reference? Or will it be standard stuff for everyone?
    How much do academic references go into character, personality, workrate etc? Do they try to stick so merely stating the facts?
    On a related matter, for those who have gone and done a TAUGHT masters or postgraduate diploma, was listing a referee on your application merely an administrative formality?
    Considering a masters/PhD by RESEARCH, I'd imagine that the person proposing the research is a lot more interested in a detailed academic reference than for a taught course?

I know I should just ring up the referee I have in mind, just want to get some pointers first, since it's been a long time since I left.

Thanks in advance folks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭ivy tilsley

Hey Kmoon,

I applied for a taught masters three years after I completed my undergrad. I contacted a lecturer with whom I'd had a good rapport, and she remembered me. I also contacted another who didn't, and that's the more likely scenario, because there are so many students going through their doors.

Both were happy to give a reference, both advised me on my application, and both asked if there was anything special they should mention (within ethical reason, naturally. In my case it was that my 3-year absence from academia involved doing a related job).

Lecturers will have access to your results. Bring a transcript along anyway, and discuss what you hope to do. If you go to a lecturer you had for a seminar or tutorial, they may have more detailed notes on you, your participation, etc. Mine had a couple of essays still on file to refer to.

I have no idea what was written in my references, since you're not supposed to see them, but if you look at your intended university's reference forms, you'll see the questions your referee will be asked to fill out. For instance TCD has a very elaborate form that asks how your work compared with your classmates I think.

I think that meeting my lecturers and discussing it helped, and they were really friendly and forthcoming with advice.

I hope this helps, best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭H2G2

I get asked for references like this on a regular basis, sometimes from students I taught 5+ years ago. I always like to help, but its not always possible to give a detailed reference unless you really remember the person. I suggest you contact (email in first case I suggest is best) a lecturer who should remember you… maybe they supervised your final year project or something similar… use that to jog their memory.
    There is certainly no harm in asking, no matter how many years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kmoon

thanks folks

Advertisement