Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone hiring in Sligo?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

Since I quit my job yesterday, and all.

I'll do anything, so long as it's honest. If it's minimum wage I'll only go Town Centre though. I don't want to walk out to Finisklin every day for Toucan and 18 grand a year.

I have a BSc in Biology (not that Abbotts are giving me the time of day)

so if you know of anything going... let me know? (I am of course getting the papers & watching the relevant websites as well)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Not a lot really, I've been unemployed for almost seven months now. There are a couple of resturant/service jobs going afaik, if your into that sort of thing. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

seven months?

As for the restaurant thing... I'll go for it even though it's not exactly what I'd want. My husband is in college until May so I've got to find something.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Try posting here also.

I will leave this thread open as its local.

Xiney wrote: »
    seven months?

As for the restaurant thing... I'll go for it even though it's not exactly what I'd want. My husband is in college until May so I've got to find something.

Yeah its a huge pain the ass. I thought I was in with a shot for a data clerk job but the recruitor hasn't been back to me, I have to ring her tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

7 months. Jesus.
    Hope you find something soon Brian!
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Honestly, 7 months, that scares the crap out of me. :(

I hope you get something good, soon.

The worst of it is I want to back to college in September/October, so I'm saving for that, but if I don't get anything between now and then I may have to take another year out. Needless to say I'm widening my search beyond Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

If your unemployed for the six months leading up to returning to college, you can get unemployment benefit for the duration of your course. You might have to be a mature student (over 25). I looked into this a few years back. You can claim the dole throughout your course including during holidays, during which you may also work whilst still claiming dole. It was a great incentive, so when I left a job and had spent a couple of months on the dole, I applied for a course and waited until it started. At the end of the August of that year, I got a letter telling me my course was cancelled. B@stards. They rang me the next year to offer me the course again, but obviously I'd got a job a week after my course was pulled, and therefore was not eligible for any benefit, meaning I couldn't afford to go to college. B@stards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The worst of it is I want to back to college in September/October, so I'm saving for that, but if I don't get anything between now and then I may have to take another year out. Needless to say I'm widening my search beyond Sligo.

Have you tried any of the units at Collooney?

If your driving you could also try carrick. A lot of new places going in there at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

There's a sign up in Elverys in Johnstons Court looking for staff..

• Advertisement

il gatto wrote: »
    If your unemployed for the six months leading up to returning to college, you can get unemployment benefit for the duration of your course. You might have to be a mature student (over 25). I looked into this a few years back. You can claim the dole throughout your course including during holidays, during which you may also work whilst still claiming dole. It was a great incentive, so when I left a job and had spent a couple of months on the dole, I applied for a course and waited until it started. At the end of the August of that year, I got a letter telling me my course was cancelled. B@stards. They rang me the next year to offer me the course again, but obviously I'd got a job a week after my course was pulled, and therefore was not eligible for any benefit, meaning I couldn't afford to go to college. B@stards.

Would you get the grant as well? tbh being at home all the time is pretty headwrecking so I'd sooner take a job but at least there might be an alternative available to me if I don't get anything. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I think you're eligable for some sort of grant and as long as you haven't used up your allocation of free fees, you get them as well. If there's something you really think you'd like it's well worth checking out. If your a mature student, you can apply using your points or by interview/aptitude test which means you can apply for courses you wouldn't have got via your leaving cert. You can get a qualification and not loose out too much financially which puts alot of people off the idea (sell the car? never:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

A mature student is 23 yrs old +. You won't get the mature student top up grant anymore unless you are 18 months out of work I'm afraid. It used to be 6 months but it changed about 3 years ago. However if you are working part time and signing on for the days you are not working this is still counted as unemployment.
    You will get the regular full grant as a mature student unless you have done a degree in college previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Have a look through this forum. There is a sticky on the front page about grants for mature students and if needs be post a question up in the forum.

Advertisement