Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scored as many as i have conceded

Options
  • 03-01-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Have been recently promoted to the Prem as LUFC and am holding my own.

Only problem is i am conceding way too many goals.
    Im on a par with the top 5 in goals scored, but my GD is 1......

Thing is, bought an awsome goalie, Costanzo and he is getting MoM all the time. 8 already this season and have just reacjed the Transfer Window.

My defence is:

RB: Hoyte, Carr, Vanden Borre
    CB: Campbell, Cygan
    CB: Hofland, Huntington, Buxton
    LB: Sherriff, Ben Parker

Couls this be a Midfield Problem???

I play with 4 across the middle, AMC's on the right and Left and a DM and MC/AMC in the centre.......

ML: Aquino
    MC: Makalele
    MC: Barazite
    MR: La Tallec

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Dalli.S

Well ive put it down to the fact that the oppo midfield are running straight through the middle to my defence.

So im gonna have to purchase a DM dogworker in the midfield and empoloy a diamond formation.

the one i have in mind is Hamsik, or Zapata, i think he is one.......

but best news is Hargreaves has just been put on the market so looks like ill be bidding for him too......

Just for the record, Kostadinov scored me 33 goals in 38 games.
    And Damien LaTallec is turning out to be a revelation.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Dalli,

Any chance you could shed some light on 08 for me. I've been playing 07 up until now and finally made the switch, but I'm finding my tenure at Leeds tough going. I'm beating mid table teams, losing to the top two and then oddly, losing to supposed "relegation candidates"

I'm playing my 07 style 4-4-2 created from the tactical bible. My away form is pretty poor, I generally go cautious and try to close down the opposition in the midfield, but my defenders are making some woeful decisions.

Dunno how to approach this.....

the best way for me to advise is to explain how i did it

first thing i did was sure up my defense,

i brought in Jack Hobbs (LVFC, loan) and Scott Goldbourne (Reading, loan)
    Lewis Buxton (Stoke, £300k)
    sheriff in jan from tranmere

And brought in 3 young pacey strikers:
    kostadinov (hearts, 150k) (who i am always going on about)
    wright phillips (southampton, loan)
    finnigan (falkirk, 275k)

i felt leeds's midfield was quite good so didnt bring anyone in there.

filtered the players in slowly, philips was awesome, him and beckford scored a shed load,

Played 4-4-2 all the time,

my defenders were pacey and could keep up with attackers,
    my mid, i felt was solid and
    my stikeforce was way to pacey so i guess it was a combination of the right players.

and pretty much what wisey is doing in real life, getting players in that are more than league one standard........

Any help????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Dalli,

Any chance you could shed some light on 08 for me. I've been playing 07 up until now and finally made the switch, but I'm finding my tenure at Leeds tough going. I'm beating mid table teams, losing to the top two and then oddly, losing to supposed "relegation candidates"

same thing is happening me and I'm playing as Chelsea to try and get the feel for the game (haven't played it since it was called CM). i just can't make the top spot for some reason, it's like an invisible barrier preventing me in the matches that could push me up further.

i'm currently playing a pretty defensive counter attacking 4-4-2 and its very effective. i always get more chances than the opponent. I've found playing any kind of attacking formation difficult in fm08, it just seems to crowd out the opposing penalty area. Better to sit back and run into space if you can get forwards with enough pace for it. oh and play narrow, other wise the top teams will just walk through you. better to play narrow and give your wingers a bit of creative freedom, that way they'll go wide and do the winger thing when they have the ball but defend like a fullback at all other times.

i've tried a rake of different formations over a few seasons (now in my 5th and still havn't won the league :() and this seems most effective, but isn't getting me into the top spot. I'm guessing now that since i haven't played FM since back when it was CM4 it is something to do with the team talks and motivating that i am falling short on. Statistically there seems to be nothing wrong with the formations and performances, only the amount of goals conceded falls short a bit. I'm so fed up of seeing "Chelsea will be wondering how they didn't win that game".

as an example of how baffling the current situation is: I met Arsenal in the Carling cup semi's, i won 6 - 2 on aggregate, absolutely dominated them. but in the league, same formations, same possession states, and amount of chances etc., but i can't score a goal (only disallowed ones). it's doing my nut in!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

From what I've heard attacking systems will not work as well in '08 as they did in '07.

I don't think you necessarily need to play narrow although if you are in difficulty it may be the better option.

Personally I've found it much more important that the creative freedom be low as well as the passing style and tempo. I'd also advise that the mentality be set to normal.

• Advertisement

Tactics wise, would agree am Mr Nice Guy.....

"Attacking" football doesnt really work, it leaves you open at the back and open to quick counter attack.

I always have my creativity on medium if not lower, however i always have my main playmaker on high creativity.

I like to play with alot of width, and have made my pitch the biggest size poss to accomodate that and now in the prem i keep my passing game alot shorter, in league one and to an extent the championship it was a lot longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I don't think you necessarily need to play narrow although if you are in difficulty it may be the better option.

the really good teams will punish you if you play wide i've found. the team itself mightn't actually play better against you but i've found playing wide will give the likes of Rooney, Torres etc. space to come up with a bit of "magic". I used be all for gung ho attacking and wide play in the other games, but i just can't get away with it in this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

4-5-1 counter attacking formation works a treat for me with Watford.

GK
    DR DC DC DL
    DMC
    MC MC
    AMR AML
    FC

Just get the forward to hold the ball up. Worked well with Marlon King for me anyways.

Advertisement