Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion Timer

• 03-01-2008 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

Im looking to get a timer switch for my immersion.
    I think a module in CU would be neater, but I guess that means I cant have dual channel (bath/sink) control?

I had a look on Hagar.ie and found what seems to be a nice digital version, but dont see prices and dont have a retailer I normally use for this (though maybe Emerald in Terenure?)

Which do you guys use and what are the pros cons?
    And where do you get them from? I didnt see anything in peats, radionics or B&Q
    I'd probably feel more comfortable installing one beside the immersion, but would get a sparks if it was going in the CU.

cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi GreeBo.
    What's 'CU'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,236 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Hey,

sorry Consumer Unit or "Fuse" Box.
    cheers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭10-10-20

:)

But, if it's in the CU it also means that you have to access the timer there to manually force on the heater in the event of there being no hot water?

I'd go with a one channel with a boost button and externally switchable bath/sink!

10-10-20 wrote: »
    :)

But, if it's in the CU it also means that you have to access the timer there to manually force on the heater in the event of there being no hot water?

I'd go with a one channel with a boost button and externally switchable bath/sink!

True, but its at the front door/bottom of the stairs so its no harder than opening the hotpress really.

I deffo want a boost button, have one on the CH programmer I put in and its a godsend for our type of weather.

I guess the existing bath/sink switch can still do its job, but I would have to have the timer before it (and then leave the switch ON and change bath/sink as required)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Greebo
    Do you want it for Night rate or just for day rate?
    The reason I ask is because I have a Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz that has a timer and a 1 hr boost.
    You will need a dual element though.
    They are great for taking advantage of cheap night rate elec and being able to boost the immersion during the day.
    I think the newer models have a 2 hr boost feature.

• Advertisement

I dont have night rate electricity and there isnt a huge demand for water (only 2 of us) but during summer we never have the heat on and playing a lot of sports means lots of showers = lots of water required but no CH on to generate it.

Ideally Id like a 7 day programmable (or 5+2) with a customizable boost (1hr is probably too long for our needs)

Also, is that an analog clock, they drive me batty :)

cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Yep I agree, and you dont just use them for storage heating, there are tabs and pins you can easily change to take advantage of the timer and boost.

Standard set up would be timer on the bath element and boost on the sink element but you can have both on either element etc depending on how you set them up.
    also dont worry about the times on the clocks being set in stone, you can also change the range on the time with a screw driver

If you are intertested Greebo I have the controls scanned in as a PDF somewhere if you'd like to look at them.

I think they were about 90 euro ex vat from Kellihers and O Reillys last time i checked, but Emerald should be good too, they have a good service IMO

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Greebo
    Do you want it for Night rate or just for day rate?
    The reason I ask is because I have a Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz that has a timer and a 1 hr boost.
    You will need a dual element though.
    They are great for taking advantage of cheap night rate elec and being able to boost the immersion during the day.
    I think the newer models have a 2 hr boost feature.

GreeBo wrote: »

Ideally Id like a 7 day programmable (or 5+2) with a customizable boost (1hr is probably too long for our needs)

Also, is that an analog clock, they drive me batty :)

cheers.
    The boost function is very simple a dial that you turn clockwise for boost mine is 1 hr max but the new ones have 2 hr timers, however you can dial any amount between 60 and 0 min.

Analog beats digital hands down here I am afraid, Newlec/Horstmann do them in all flavours but the analog ones are rock solid.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The boost function is very simple a dial that you turn clockwise for boost mine is 1 hr max but the new ones have 2 hr timers, however you can dial any amount between 60 and 0 min.

Analog beats digital hands down here I am afraid, Newlec/Horstmann do them in all flavours but the analog ones are rock solid.

ah ok, so the boost is basically an adjustable countdown timer, clever.

Though Im a big fan of electrically programmable things, bit of a computer junkie here Im afraid :o
    What sort of price was that?

Stoner if you could pass on those PDF's that would be cool.

I think I paid 40-50 stg for it I saw one in the shop the last day it was €115.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

you could get a Horstmann E15 Boost Timer. they cost around 50 euro and can be used to boost the immersion for 15 30 or 60 mins. it can be wired before the existing immersion switch so you will still be able to switch between bath and sink. you can get them in heatmerchants or an electrical wholesalers.
    if you want one with a timer grasslin do one with both a boost and a timer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

GreeBo wrote: »
    Stoner if you could pass on those PDF's that would be cool.

sorry I missed this GreeBo, info as follows

http://www.horstmann.co.uk/

Advertisement