Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Lessons

Options
  • 03-01-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya, I'm looking for a piano teacher in Kildare. I'm 23, I dont own a piano, I dont play any instrument and I am fairly bad at reading music. Anybody have any recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

if you're looking for lessons and don't have a piano then don't waste your money. Get a piano, or a keyboard with weighted keys.

very bad idea to get lessons on an instrument you don't own or have daily access to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I do have a keyboard, I just dont have a piano, would this be ok to practise on? I dont want to go and pay huge money for a piano until I know I love playing as much as I think/hope I will.

it would be fine for helping you learn the layout of the keys, reading music, playing to an extent, the point where keyboards let people down, unless it's a digital piano, is the weight and reaction of the keys. They might be too light on a keyboard and not emulate a piano very well.

if you practice on it and progress, and find you like it as much as you think you will then getting a piano would be excellent for getting a good touch. Maybe I'm a bit snobby against the aul keyboards, but some are so lightweight and flimsy, just a pet peeve. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I assume you play then? I totally understand your "snobbery" and I dont even play. I suppose it would be like learning to play guitar on a small kids argos one :)

I tend to jump into things two feet first and then go "oh....... I didn't think it would be like this" thats why I'm making myself use my old keyboard for the time being, besides, I was shocked when I saw the cost of pianos 19,000!!! But it was so beautiful.

I got one for under 2,000 it's in good condition and once it was retuned after getting it into the house it's been fine ever since. keep your eye out I'm sure you could get a decent piano for a good price.

so stick with the keyboard til you can guage your interest. Then take the plunge on a piano if you feel you'll stick with it. ;) and good luck. and unfortunately I'm no where near kildare to start you on the road to the national concert hall ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement