Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model making supplies

Options
  • 03-01-2008 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but i'll give it a shot anyway.

For college (studying Architectural Technology) we need to make a structural model of our thesis project, which is a building.

Normally we would make models out of balsa wood which i might use for this as well. Only i remember seeing plastic I-beams some place before which would be really neat if to use if only i knew where to get them.

Normally get the balsa wood and sticks in Evans just of Capel St or in the model shop on Capel St. The model shop usually doesnt stock enough for what i'll be needing it for.

Jozi

EDIT: something like these:
    SI60014_lg.jpg

Would also need columns (rods)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hi Jozi,

B&Q and others stock that from time to times. Several size, in plastic or aluminium.
    Also do rods, plastic and aluminium.
    Hope this help.

Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Cool but where are there any B&Q's around dublin cite (or handy to gt to)?

Would they have this sort of stuff in Woodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

I usually get my rods and aluminium stuff at the Tallaght B&Q.
    B&Q usually stock more DIY stuff than everybody else...
    I think you have a big one at the Liffey Valley SC...

For Woodies and so on, I don't know....
    I few phone calls and you will have your answer ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

woodies dont seem to stock that kinda stuff. B+Q do, but every time I go there it seems they badly need to restock.
    I usually get my stuff online...

http://www.netmerchants.co.uk/section.php/1017/1/styrenemodellingproducts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I-girders made from plastic are currently in stock at www.greenhobbymodel.com in Harolds Cross - as it happens I actually had some 1 metre long I-griders in my hand there earlier today. They also have balsa, ply, lite ply, alu and brass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Ciaran_Dub

Jozi,

For city centre locations for that type of thing give Marks Models a try, cant remember the name of the street, its jsut off the Quays around the corner fromthe Long Stone pub. I think its called Hawkins Street. They have a range of different sheet metal, balsa wood and plastic card by a company called Evergreen and I know they do I-Beams.

Ciaran

Advertisement