Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Berlin (merge)

Options
  • 03-01-2008 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭

Going in 2 weeks for a 3-day weekend. I'm looking for something out ot the ordinary to do - arty, theatre, etc.
    thegills
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

Was there this time last year and have to say the zoo was pretty cool. Nothing like Dublin at all! We had a brilliant afternoon in it there's loads of different animals to see and some of them you can get quite close to.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Popel

don´t forget, there are two zoos, and they´re very different from eachother. I prefer the east one, even if Knut isn´t there.

Lots of artsy things in Friedrichshain, so maybe focus a google search on that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barett

If you are in Berlin, you definitely need to check out the Ku'Damm (Kurfuerstendamm), and the KaDeWe (Kaufhaus des Westens).

If you are looking for a museum, I can recommend the Pergamon Museum, it's located on the museums island in the middle of the river Spree.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pergamon_Museum

Especially the Pergamon Altar and the Ishtar Gate are really impressive.

Ku'Damm is good for shopping but is ridiculously long. If memory serves there are 2 metro stops along it.

KaDeWe is a tourist trap! It is ridiculously expensive though it's nice to look around. I wouldn't buy anything in there though. Chances are you will find it cheaper elsewhere

yeah, Ku´damm is long, not particularly pretty, full of tourists, and is only really good for shopping unless you go to the one theatre at the ´far´ end of it. Pergamon museum is brilliant, a lot more interesting, and not as exhaustive as the Altes Museum. But for a non-tourist-infested experience, call around to the areas of Kreuzberg, which was very alternative before the wall fell, or Friedrichshain which IS very alternative now, or Prenzlauerberg, which is not as up-to-the-minute, but which is a nice area. And there are arty things and interesting things aplenty in all of those places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Thanks Lads / Lassies for all the feedback.What about nice places to eat?
    thegills

TBH we ended up having Burger King for the whole week. There's loads of fast food places (McDonalds, Pizza Hut etc) in the train stations.

Berliner's tend to get their food on the go from these stalls that are along the street.

That said we did stumble across this restaurant that served Argentine steak (OMG the most amazing steak we've ever had!!!!) It was somewhere up in Kreuzberg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

thegills wrote: »
    Thanks Lads / Lassies for all the feedback.What about nice places to eat?
    thegills

Definitely avoid getting somethin' to eat at the KaDeWe, way, way overpriced. The foodhall is on the top floor.

Can't remember names of other places we ate, but we went to a couple of Asian places and got excellent value for money.

Just another bit of advice, I think you can get a pass that will cover a few days travel for the metro at the airport cheap enough. Transport system is excellent over there, but still didn't have enough time to check out all we wanted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Going in a few weeks myself. Is it a cheap enough place. Is the nightlife good, anyone recommend anywere?

Also im looking for a hotel (cheap) what area is recommended.

What else is there to do other than shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

A trip to the Fernsehturm (German tv tower), has a visitors platform with revolving restaurant, don't know what the food is like but the views of the city are awesome. Also the reichstag is worth a look, and Checkpoint Charlie is a must.

• Advertisement

Going in a few weeks myself. Is it a cheap enough place. Is the nightlife good, anyone recommend anywere?

Also im looking for a hotel (cheap) what area is recommended.

What else is there to do other than shop?

If I were going back I would stay in Kreuzberg or Mitte. They have most of the night life & shops and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When I was there recently, I found the pub crawl to be a good laugh. You can easily meet people etc, its quite cheap aswell.

Also, if you wanna see the sights, walk around the city, dont be getting trams/u-bahn everywhere. i know the place is big, and my body hurts after it, but it is definately worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Was in Berlin in November and loved it. Definitely do the Berlin walking tour run by english speaking students. You are taken to all the landmarks including checkpoint Charlie, hitlers bunker and the twin cathedrals. I am not that into history but the BF is and so I was reluctantly dragged along.
    I was really surprised with how interesting it was. Its about 2.5 hours long but its a handy way to see all the main attractions in one afternoon and believe it or not its free. Just make sure to give a good tip. We saw a few Europeans giving the guide a measly euro for nearly 3 hours work!

http://www.newberlintours.com/nbt/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 sull

Went to Berlin in March, heading back for a week in July. It's an amazing city. Stasi Museum in Lichtenberg is in the old Stasi HQ and has been left untouched. Fascinating place:

http://www.stasi-museum.de/en/enindex.htm

We stayed in Prenzlauer Berg, really nice. Went to a place called Dr. Pong's there, which is in a dilapidated old building with a communal ping-pong table. Great place. The Berghain is a club near Ostbahnhof. Not for the faint-hearted but had a great night/morning there. Walking up Karl Marx Allee is pretty evocative with all the Soviet architecture. In fact, we walked around loads, there are just so many cool little things that you come across. Graffitti is everywhere and is very impressive.

Staying in Kreuzberg this time, can't wait. Just read Zoo Station by Ian Walker, gives a good idea of the place before the wall came down, it is well worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Looking at Berlin for a wkend in Feb.

Anybody recommend the brewery tours and a decent hotel in a decent location that doesnt cost an arm and a leg :)

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

Stayed here https://www.motel-one.de/2006/home.php?chid=1&m=3 on a stag and it was excellent - good value and very central. Very clean and new.

Lots to do in Berlin - the sights are excellent - Sony Centre, Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, Reichstag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Nice one. Thats the one in Alexanderplatz yeah? Walking distance to town etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Sizzler wrote: »
    Nice one. Thats the one in Alexanderplatz yeah? Walking distance to town etc?

Alexanderplatz is walking distance to most of the above mentioned sights - you can also go the other way into the old east berlin for some of the less touristy ones. Watch out for turkish taxi drivers as in my experience they will try to rip you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

do a cycling tour- its mostly a flat city so no major struggling on bikes, and its a great way to see all the sights. takes a few hours. well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Best thing to do in Berlin is get out. Go to Potsdam, lots of culture and things to see. You can get a train from Berlin - its not very far (maybe 30mins).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

http://www.baxpax.de/downtown/en/prices/

Stay here, Its a hostel/hotel, Right off the Friedrichstrase(sp?) spotless and very cheap.

Make sure you take in a free walking tour of the city, You can give an optional tip at the end, I found this was the best way to find your way around and see everything. And the history of Berlin is amazing, You learn everything about the city on this tour.

Nightlife was also excellent, Dont bother with any pub crawls unless you like rowdy Americans who cant handle a few drinks. Great club around the corner from the above hotel on a street called Orianburgerstrase(sp?)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

the Stasi museum is worth a look. Mostly in German.. but you get the gist,

http://stasimuseum.de/en/enindex.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thursday evening is free museum night after 6pm here if you get here early enough.

www.alternativeberlin.com - walking tour (allegedly free - they do it for tips and donations. They may and try and advertise paid ones, but no obligations)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭camel toe

going on friday with my mum, bit fearful of the cold, was in ny last year and ZOMG i could hardly move with it, ireland may not be saint tropez but i can easily wear a t-shirt this time of year.

but anyway im very excited as i havent been here since i was very small so i want to know any good current things to do? places to eat? im only here for the weekend which is too short, but if its anyway good i'll head back during the summer.

are hertha berlin playing at home next week? pity keith fahey isn't playing for them yet, could go give my support.;)

It's snowing and bitterly cold at the moment, with the weather due to stay this way for at least a few days. So bring warm clothes and good shoes! Havn't a clue about Hertha, sorry.

actually screw that its freezing today here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Goto Sachsenhausen concentration camp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sachsenhausen_concentration_camp#

It's possibly the one thing you can see in Berlin where terrible weather will actually add to the emotional experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

camel toe wrote: »
    are hertha berlin playing at home next week? pity keith fahey isn't playing for them yet, could go give my support.;)

Finally a football question I can answer 'round here :p

Hertha are playing Friday evening at home against Koln, which will be a good match if you're able to get there. I'm a Munich man myself so if they're anything to go by this season, you're best to book online asap for fear of the stadium getting sold out (apparently this is a bumper year for the bundesliga, despite the recession).

As for the weather... it's that time of year, so wrap up!

thanks lads.

really the olympicstadion will be filled? was watching them against pat's earlier and while i know for the berlin locals, pats wouldn't exactly be considered top of the range opposition but i just couldnt imagine them selling that out like only 12,000 were at that game i believe.

would love to go to a bayern munich game and munich, might do later in the year. sure the flights for the two of us were 120 return, thats nothing really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It doubt the place will be filled. The place holds about 75,000 and I was there for a league game recently where only 40k turned up.

Advertisement