Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Berlin (merge)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

camel toe wrote: »
    thanks lads.

really the olympicstadion will be filled? was watching them against pat's earlier and while i know for the berlin locals, pats wouldn't exactly be considered top of the range opposition but i just couldnt imagine them selling that out like only 12,000 were at that game i believe.

would love to go to a bayern munich game and munich, might do later in the year. sure the flights for the two of us were 120 return, thats nothing really.

Well Hertha vs. Pats is an unknown to most Berliners really. Koln is a huge game. Looking at the table, Hertha are 4th, behind Munich by 1 point. There's only 3 points separating the top 4/5 teams, so it's a big deal. Just did a quick search and the last few bundesliga games have had massive crowds.

As for Munich, great city but going to see the Alianz Arena is something else, just to see a whole stadium change colours in front of your eyes is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Berlin's an amazing city, transport system is second to none IMO.

Was there for the Pats game, Olympionstadion is some stadium, worth a visit even if not for the game.

As for going with your mum, there's guided tours and stuff. Although, if I was you, get the €6 ticket for a day transport and just get a map and away you go, also, you can drink beer everywhere lol :D

The Harp bar has lovely food, not too sure where that is though, near-ish to Olympionstadion though.

Great City, enjoy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

Hi,

I have also been to Berlin and I loved it but its a bit of a kip I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

What Berlin is a kip, must be the end of the world time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭shano_88

just wondering if anyone here has been to berlin before. Group of lads heading oveer there in 2 weeks for 3 nights and know nothing about the place. We will probably just be boozing alot but does anyone recomend a bar or nightclub? Any other activites anyone would recomend.?? Any thing to see or do??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭nads

Went on an interrailing excursion through there, great city. was a bit skint for cash so only half did it.
    Check out a district where there's warehouses full of clubs, mad euro trash quality places.
    Definately go around the 'neightbourhoods' of berlin and drink in each, they're basically stops on the U Bahn - oh and buy a ticket for the public transport - they're all over checking that craic, burly lads who'd kick 10 lads' a$$es not a bother.
    there's all night pubs/bars but the drinks are very very expensive and they're as far as i seen were trendy arty farty places.
    I think Oragniestrasse has loads of hookers - and generally hookering is in most places - might be legal i don't know. but good pubs around that orangiestrasse.
    Also check out the classics, Brandenburg gate etc... Alexanderplatz is crap check out the tv tower then go, bit like o'connell st, the spire then dodgy f*cks that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

in terms of things to see, first trip to berlin should include a visit to the brandenburg gate without question. its one of europes great sites not just berlins, its easy to find, subway to unter den linden. walk under brandenburg gate straight for about half a mile and you come to the victory column, its something like 2euro to climb the 180-200 of so steps to the top.

checkpoint charlie is another must see, they have recreated in detail how the russian/usa border control looked back then, really interesting museum on its history too, checkpoint charlie can be reached by stopping at kochstrasse subway. its so strange to walk across a now invisible line that at one time nearly started WW3 when for 2 days russian and american tanks faced off against each other on this small stretch of berlin street.

about 1km of the berlin wall is viewable at a place called eastside gallery. its across the road from Ostbahnhof subway stop

a visit to the olympic stadium with all its history will pass an hour or two, its a bit of journey, olympic stadion stop on the subway, out but its only 4euro to tour the inside and see where hitler had to put his feelings aside in 1936 and honour four time gold medal winner Jesse owens, the stadium is also the site of the 2006 world cup final and zidanes never to be forgotten headbutt.

a trip up to the tv tower on alexanderplatz during the daytime is fun, queues can be long, we were waiting over an hour and half AFTER getting our ticket. its 10 euro to see berlin from about 900 feet in the air

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Moved from Travel forum

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The areas of Friedrichshein (East/North East of Alexandersplatz) and Kreuzberg (South Central-ish) are the best for bars. For clubs (based on reputation - I'm not a clubby person) go to the Prenzlauer Berg area (North of Alexandersplatz).

Hope that helps and enjoy!

P.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

your going to freeze to death if you get unlucky but berlin is class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

There is also the free walking tours which are really good.

Here is the website
    http://www.newberlintours.com/nbt/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Rent a bike under the tv tower and get around that way. Its only about six euro for the day, and five euro overnight charge. Just lock them and they wont be touched overnight. We left ours outside the hotel and were fine.

Tresor club, two stops away from alexanerplatz train station, hienrich hiene strasse I think it is. Its an old power station. Dont go before 2am. Also, weekend club, on the 12th floor in the sanyo building. Kilkenny irish bar is one stop in the other direction under the train station from alexanderplatz. Good craic but expensive as is any irish bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

http://fattirebiketours.com/berlin/tours/berlin-city-bike-tour

Didn't do it but supposedly it's the dog's liathroidi.

Berlin is cool.

If you're looking for a hostel, stay in Singer 109. It's like a hotel but a bed is only 14 euro a night and the location is awesome.

Search for it on hostelworld.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

can anyone tell me the cheapest/best way to get 18 of us from Schonefeld to our hostel?
    It's called Generator and its on Landsberger Allee, east central I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

The train from the airport is €2.60 or €3.20. I cant remember. Its the S-Bahn so should drop you to alexanderplatz or nearby if thats anywhere near you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

its relatively near, I just have a feeling I'll land us all in Poland or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Voltwad wrote: »
    can anyone tell me the cheapest/best way to get 18 of us from Schonefeld to our hostel?

i stayed in that exact hostel for new years, nothing much in the area apart from a burgerking across the road but the hostel itself is very good and the bar is a nice touch

after existing the airport terminal follow the signs to the S-Bahn station, buy a single ticket, cost about 2.10euro.

take the S9 train and change at Treptower Park and just hop on the circle line train (S42) going north to landsberger alllee, journey from schonefeld should take about 30-40 minutes by subway. you can't miss the hostel when you arrive on landsberger allee platform, massive building staring back at you

berlin metro map http://www.berlinverkehr.com/netze/051212sumetro.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Voltwad wrote: »

Certainly, sir.

At the airport, find the S9 train - it'll have "Spandau" written on it and take it to Ostkreutz. There, change the S42 or "Ringbahn" going counterclockwise (S41 is clockwise). Get off at Landsberger Allez. The large Blue and white building on your right is the hostel.
    Cost is 2.80 each. Airport is now in zone C and a slightly higher fare (check out Rozzie's map if this makes no sense). Normal cost is 2.10, which covers you on any tram, bus, metro (S and U bahn), even the ferry across the lake (which you won't be anywhere near, but just thought I'd mention :D) for 120 mins.

DON'T eat the breakfast. Go out instead.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

The Weekender in Alexplatz is the best club Ive ever gone to. Goes on till all hours and is on the 13th floor of an old tower block.

White Trash Fast food is a great bar / live music place

http://www.whitetrashfastfood.com/

or Cafe Zapata in the old Tachles squat

http://www.cafe-zapata.de/

Dont go in to any bars or clubs in a very large group , youll be guarrenteed to be turned away with no excuse given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

I'm just back from a week there with the gf, if you're going in the next while make sure you pack loads of winter wear. It gets very cold over there, was -11 one night.

As for sites:
    • Checkpoint Charlie (defininite must see) half way down Friedrichstrasse.
    • Berlin Wall Meusem (down on the south of the city)
    • Brandenburg Gate
    • Reichstag (government building) just to the right of brandenburg gate.
    • Also just down from the BrandenBurg gate (heading toward the victory tower in Tiergarten) there this russian war memorial with tanks and gold statues.
    • Victory Tower pretuoty cool for two quid.
    If you're day for a few days, get yourself a "welcome card" which is a ticket to get on any trains, buses, trams for 2-3 days. Well worth it since the city has such a good transport system.

As for pubs/clubs you'll need to stay on the east - north-east side of the city, to the right of alexanderplatz.

It's a great city with loads to see, oh and the beer's dirt cheap. :-D

thanks for all the advice. heading over this friday so def going to pack lots of winter clothes. sounds like there will be plenty to do anyway.

conz, great link to the other thread, really appreciate, some of the clubs sound amazing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

I'm off to Berlin in early June for 5 days. Can anybody recommend any interesting places to visit while I'm there?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Go to lidl, it's only €3.99 for a bottle of vodka..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

anywhere thats sells beer!.....aside from that...the natural history museum is very good (they have the largest dinosaur skeleton in the world)....there a lot of cool clubs playing rock indie and electro in the friedrichsheim district (east side) in the daytime plenty of excellent coffee shops that are very very cheap....also there is lots of shops and sites to see if you get off the train at alexanderplatz station....its the unofficial centre of the berlin......more expensive tho.....if you are into art there are dozen of exhibition every day all over the place......for nightlife tho you can't beat berlin...its f***ing amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

Go to lidl, it's only €3.99 for a bottle of vodka..

Cheers drunkmonkey but I don't drink spirits! I love my beer though!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

do the "fat tyre" bicycle tour, great way to get to see teh city and learn some of teh history

also the zoo is great, well worth a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

sam34 wrote: »

also the zoo is great, well worth a few hours

it's right beside the aquarium and the sex museum is just up the road..both worth a look as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Have a beer at the top of the TV tower (Fernsehturm) at Alexanderplatz.The DDR Museum is well worth a visit too,one of the most interesting and fun museums I've ever visited.

Advertisement