Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Berlin (merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Brandenburg Gate.

Also, there's an artificial beach during the summer that's supposed to be quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

Tacheles beer garden on Oranienburgerstrasse , old bombed-out building with cool art...

Parliament building (get there early and go up on the roof) and the big park beside it

Lots of art galleries / clubs - Berghain / Panoramabar is the most memorable :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

silverside wrote: »
    Tacheles beer garden on Oranienburgerstrasse , old bombed-out building with cool art...

I highly recommened this place! So surreal, Great music and pyro shows.

/ clubs - Berghain / Panoramabar is the most memorable :cool:

Absolute and utter madhouse.

Best/craziest club I've ever been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

Just stay upstairs when you get in and all will be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Another recommendation for Tacheles. Amazing spot.

Just stay upstairs when you get in and all will be ok.

Ha. It's grand downstairs. The music is better downstairs at various times during the night/day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Vamoose Killers

:)

Hard techno downstairs and it's a total gayfest. But then again that's for some people, not me.

The whole place is an amazing venue though it must be said. Can be a bitch to get in to though (try Tresor or Watergate if you get refused - or just come back a good few hours later).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Oh you lucky thing, I love Berlin. I'd recomend The Checkpoint Charlie museum if you have an interest in History. Buy a public transport pass they're really good value and you will definitely use the pass. Alexanderplatz is a great spot and just behind it is the Old Townhall, a lovely old Church and a nice little park.
    If you're a shopaholic the Kudamm is worth a visit it's a shoppers paraside.

The Brandenburg gate is worth a look there's a tree lined street through the gate called Unten den Linden which is a good spot to stop off for a cold one in any of the pavement cafes. PM me if you need any more info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Defo rent some bikes. We rented them from an american guy under the tv tower. €6 for the day, he was happy to tell us where beer gardens were. We then enquired if he was happy giving us this info with his bikes as he was closing at 6pm and we might not make it back. He said it was cool, bring them back tomorrow at an extra charge of €3, which he never charged the next day. Bikes are safe enough left around the place to so not to worry.

Go to tresor, but dont go til around 3am. We went at 12 and it was empty, were told to come back in a few hours when it would be busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

Is it worth visiting the Berlin Zoo?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Normally, I'd say yes, but it depends on all the animals being present and lively (as with any zoo, I suppose): They do have a good aquarium, though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

MrMiyagi wrote: »
    Is it worth visiting the Berlin Zoo?
    Yep. Just saw it last week and it was very lively. The monkey/chimp house was quite large and the animals seemed engaged (particularly Satu the young Orangutan) and happy (as much as you can determine such things).

There's also a pretty cool Hippo house where you can see the hippos swimming underwater. Well worth a look. Currently it costs €12 to see the zoo or the aquarium and €18 for a ticket to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

where is the best place to stay in berlin? regarding close to the sites and stuff to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Budget?
    Hotel de Rome, Behrenstrasse 37 is very good and central.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

well ideally 80 euro per night! I checked that hotel and it was working out 685euro from the 12th-15th of Jan.. amazing hotel but out of my budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Circus hotel in Rosenthaler Platz. Five minutes from Alexanderplatz, wal up Kaastanian Allee for some "Berlin" bars and restaraunts and five minutes from Weineri (drink wine all night and pay a fair price at the end of the night!)

http://www.circus-berlin.de/circus_hotel_berlin.html

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 alwaysanon

going to berlin with my bf next week, what do you recommend we should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

When are you going?

What type of stuff are you looking for? Pubs, Clubs {what type of music}, tourist stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

It's all good :D

There is no way you're going to see everything in three days, so it really depends on whether you're there for the history (the Wall, Museum Island), culture/bars or just walking around :)

Berlin ROCKS, you'll love it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ARooney

Hi, me and a group of girls took the fat bike tour . You can get the tour, they meet under the telecom tower in East Berlin. Great fun and a great way to see the city by bike. Don't know what the weather would be like though for it now at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks.

I’m hoping to head to Germany for a long weekend Thursday – Tuesday sometime between April and May with three friends.

And I was thinking of Berlin as I’ve heard its great spot.

I’d be looking for good bars, good restaurants, and a bit of culture on the side. :pac:

I like good quality restaurants, bars that have a pulse and good vibe, live music is a plus. And hotels can be basic but clean, I recently stayed in Premier in Waring Street Belfast , it was very cheap, but beautifully laid out and very clean, so something along those lines would be great!! :)

And culture wise I like a bit of art and museums.
    I'd love to see some good WWII exhibits if there are some.

Does anyone have any recommendations or do’s and don’ts on Berlin?

Thanks in advance Folks.

Since Berlin is such a popular place there is already a big thread on it, I took the liberty of merging your post with the thread. It has lots of suggestions on what to do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Apologies about that!!! :o

Thanks Biko!!!

Looks like a great thread!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 St. Robbie

Hi lads,

I'm going Berlin in the middle of February. Can anyone recommend any good nightclubs/bars to go to? Is it cheap or expensive? Thanks

Since Berlin is such a popular place there is already a big thread on it, I took the liberty of merging your post with the thread. It has lots of suggestions on what to do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

not sure if someone has mentioned it before, but for berlin i would recommend checking out http://berliner-unterwelten.de/home.1.1.html if you are into underground stuff like old bunkers or forgotten subway tunnels and stuff like that from over 100 years of history…they do some nice guided tours, also in english…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

St. Robbie wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I'm going Berlin in the middle of February. Can anyone recommend any good nightclubs/bars to go to? Is it cheap or expensive? Thanks

Matrix Nightclub or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

St. Robbie wrote: »
    Hi lads,

the berghain is a legend...never been there myself (not my cup of tea) but it is very famous... www.berghain.de/ or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berghain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭funnyname

http://www.magnet-club.de/

Excellent club with cheap drinks, 2 bottles of Heinekin and 2 Jagermeisters only €7.

Advertisement