Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Berlin (merge)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

jen- wrote: »
    Myself and two of the girls are going to Berlin on Monday untill thursday, asd was just wondering if anyone has any tips on wahts a must to see ang good places to ead out at night.

The two girls Im going with each have different kind of taste in music, but we are willing to compromise so the palces we would most likeley go to would have to range from kinda pop to indie I guess.

And culturally we really dont want to miss any oof the biggies :D

Im just really looking for tips and possibly links which amy be helpful jsut so we can maximise our time there.

See you there tomorrow :)

Mosat of the big clubs are open Thur to Sunday with the exception of the notorious Berhain/Panorama bar(mad and brilliant) and Tresor, again a legendary techno club. Check out Watergate club,think thats open all week

Reichstag, Brandenberg gate, Victory monument/walk(cool view of the city), rent out bikes, head into Mitte for nightlife, the best night life is on the east side.
    Kilkenny irish pub would be the best Irish bar there - if your into that sort of thing, a lot of locals go into it, so its a good mix.
    Maybe go on an http://www.alternativeberlin.com/ pretty cool tours, mainly tips based
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

I aslo suggest www.neweuropetours.eu. i am here myself at the mo and went on the free tour a few days ago. Was really good, they also seem to have many other tours round too. I also took a hop on hop off bus when I first got here to see everything quickly. that was cool. As for night life im not sure yet ( out for the first time tonight) but was at a coctail bar last night called Bar 39 in Oranienstraße. Fantastic cocktails. Might have to check out that Irish pub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

empirix wrote: »
    Kilkenny irish pub would be the best Irish bar there

Big no no in my eyes, that place is a kip, to be avoided at all times!

Cafe Zapata & Tacheles in Oranienburgerstraße is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The irish pubs are OK, but expensive by Berlin standards (why do you want to go to an irish bar anyway? You can do that back home!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi Icky Poo

You live in Berlin, right? I'm going to Berlin in a few weeks. Can you tell me if you know of any shops that sell or flea markets where I can find old East German army uniforms?

• Advertisement

Hi Icky Poo

You live in Berlin, right? I'm going to Berlin in a few weeks. Can you tell me if you know of any shops that sell or flea markets where I can find old East German army uniforms?

Hi Alex,

Not really my specialty! There is a big fleamarket at Mauerpark every Sunday, all day, that might be your best bet. Nearest UBahn is eberswalder Strasse (U2).
    Will ask some friends for soemthing more specific and get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭daggy

My Dad and his girlfriend are going to Berlin this week for a few days for a well deserved holiday. They are big food fanatics. Id love to give them a reservation somewhere to eat thats very good, as a gift. She is veggie and an excellent cook.. and my Dad really appreciates a good meal. It;s a long shot, but can anyone recommend anywhere special?

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

This is probably too late but if they are really into their food, tell them to visit the food hall in ka da we department store- amazing place & has restaurants also as well as champagne bar etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

My mom's got me doing a mini research project on art stuff to do in Berlin for her friend, for some reason she thinks since I'm in Flensburg (the very north of Germany) I'm going to be able to actually look into this stuff in person, but due to financial restraints it's not practical, so I figure I might as well consult the all-knowing boards.ie.

Basically, she wants to know of art museums, galleries, art classes, accommodations with places to paint, etc. Preferably (way) off the default tourist path; she can hold her own and is a bit of an adventurer so I'd prefer something a little less than obvious, but still close enough to the city.

I'm asking this both here and in the German forum, hopefully that's okay, if it's not then move to where it's appropriate/delete one, I'm just looking for the widest variety of reply because I kinda need to have at least something for tonight when she's talking to her friend :o

Thanks for any help!

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

Hi there!

Not typical art but there were some very interesting wall murals in Berlin.

One of the most famous is that of DDR leader Erich Honecker passionately kissing Soviet Leanid Brezhnev :D
    It's so ugly it was hypnotic but I think it might have recently been removed :(

Also near Potsdamer Platz are some wall remnants with murals and more can be seen at the East Side Gallery.

Here are some shots near Ballongarten from my visit a couple of years ago.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gemma01

A good place to ask would be toytown.com a forum for expats living in Germany.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Hi all going here for 9 days at easter have to go to Estrel Hotel & conference centre(south east berlin) for 2 days.

Hotel is booked up so can anyone recommend a good hotel or apartment.
    don't mind getting train or tram to Estrel if needs.

2 adults 2 kids so would 75 -120 Euro per night cover

Also any recommndations for places to go things to see

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Am I allowed tag on a Berlin query to this? If not Moderator can move.
    I would like to visit Berlin for a few days. How many are enough for a quick visit, to take in the sights, visit museums, galleries?
    Fly out friday morning early & return Sunday, would that be enough? Or should I go Thursday. I wouldn't be interested in beer though.
    Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gemma01

There is so much to see in Berlin that I would go on Thursday otherwise you only have one full day there. I would recommend visiting the following places:
    The East Side Gallery- paintings by artists from different countries on parts of the Berlin wall. Potsdamer Platz, the Reichstag, the Holocaust Memorial and the Tiergarten. The Pergamon museum is one of the best museums in Berlin. If you are short on time then a walking tour is a great way to take in the main sights quickly.

What age are the 2 kids? They might enjoy the Berlin zoo (the biggest in Europe), The Legoland Discovery Centre or a boat tour of the River Spree.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

pavb2 wrote: »
    Hi all going here for 9 days at easter have to go to Estrel Hotel & conference centre(south east berlin) for 2 days.
    i found the bargain of the month for you.
    Suite Novotel Berlin Potsdamer Platz is available for 76 euro for the family friendly room incl breakfast.
    The room (from what i can see) has a double bed and a convertable couch to a double bed, along with a kitchenette which is handy whenyou have kids.

Potsdamer platz is BANG in the middle of the city a short walk from the brandenburg gate and everything else of interest.

getting to the conference on public transport should be no problem.
    theres a direct bus from potsdamer platz to sonnenalle beside the hotel or by train with 1 change. Both take 22/ 25 mins, so not all that long.

EDIT: you could easily spend a week in Berlin and not get bored. The wifes uncle had the kids over for a long weekend and they had no problem keeping them busy. The Zoo and some lego park being amongst what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭pavb2

Thanks munchkin, thats a great help i was looking at the Novotel in Mitte as Novotel has been good in the past but was unsure than of the distance to Estrel.

What site did you see rate on?

Children are 13 & 11 (two girls)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, if you have to go to one museum in Berlin it should be the Pergamon. Just to see the ancient ruins that were transported from Turkey. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Hey OP,
    When i was in Berlin I stayed in the Park Inn and I found this an absolute great hotel at a decent price. It is right in the main tourist square (cant remember the name) and is perfect place to explore the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Check out the Motel One hotel chain in Berlin. We stayed in Alexanderplatz & this was a great location but they have a good selection of hotels all over Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Thanks munchkin, thats a great help i was looking at the Novotel in Mitte as Novotel has been good in the past but was unsure than of the distance to Estrel.

What site did you see rate on?

Children are 13 & 11 (two girls)
    that was on hrs.de

as a german website, they are often very good on german hotels, AND they also normally have an option for a reservation rather than full prepayment up front (so good if you havent your plans 100% finalised)

Most german hotels simply have nothing but double rooms, and with 1 kid and another in the way, my interest in finding the more family friendly hotels is increased!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

Hotel is booked up so can anyone recommend a good hotel or apartment.
    don't mind getting train or tram to Estrel if needs.

2 adults 2 kids so would 75 -120 Euro per night cover

Also any recommndations for places to go things to see

Thanks for any help

Went to Berlin a few years ago and have to say i absolutely love it - would highly recommend doing the Segway tour - it takes 4 hours but you get to see so much it is worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I googled to find out what a segway tour was.
    I would feel a complete dork standing on one of those things!!
    Do they go on the footpath or on cycle lanes?
    I'm asking because I detest cyclists on foothpaths and I don't want to end up doing something similar myself.
    I am off to Berlin next weekend. slight mistiming on the period. It's going to be very cold still! Cant wait though to see the museums and galleries.

What about one of these??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I am off to Berlin next weekend. slight mistiming on the period. It's going to be very cold still! Cant wait though to see the museums and galleries.

Don't forget the Hamburger Banhof, excellent gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Macker91

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I googled to find out what a segway tour was.
    I would feel a complete dork standing on one of those things!!
    Do they go on the footpath or on cycle lanes?
    I'm asking because I detest cyclists on foothpaths and I don't want to end up doing something similar myself.

I thought I would feel like a complete idiot to but you really dont they are fantastic and great fun - They go on the footpath most of the time but are very acceptable over there. I would highly recommend anyone trying them and the guide that we had was hilarious and made our trip to Berlin for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Exilim

Has anyone rented an apartment over there?

A few lads going, mainly for the nightlife, we were going to stay in Generator hostel but it seems a bit far out of the city and away form the clubs and bars.

So now were looking at apartments. Is Mitte the best area to stay in, when your mainly after nightlife?

Exilim wrote: »
    Has anyone rented an apartment over there?

A few lads going, mainly for the nightlife, we were going to stay in Generator hostel but it seems a bit far out of the city and away form the clubs and bars.

So now were looking at apartments. Is Mitte the best area to stay in, when your mainly after nightlife?

Generator's not too bad - there's a 24 hour tram going past the door, and the Ringbahn is 24 hour at weekends as well.

Mitte is expensive for renting, but perfectly located.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Exilim

Not sure whether to go with Generator, seems a bit far out. usually like to be in the center of things. Gets bad reviews to!

But every other hostel is booked out (3 bed room is what im after) so may be our only option.

• Advertisement

Exilim wrote: »
    Not sure whether to go with Generator, seems a bit far out. usually like to be in the center of things. Gets bad reviews to!

But every other hostel is booked out (3 bed room is what im after) so may be our only option.

Hmm... I know there are a few and surpirsed to hear that they're all booked out. If you're willing to compromise and try, say three of you in a six or eight bed dorm, it might be better than trekking out to the generator.

Advertisement