Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Italian Style Sausages

• 03-01-2008 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know where you can get good Italian sausages in and around the City Centre. I want to make this recipie that I saw on Come Dine With Me but I haven't a clue where to get the one vital ingredient.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Lux23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where you can get good Italian sausages in and around the City Centre. I want to make this recipie that I saw on Come Dine With Me but I haven't a clue where to get the one vital ingredient.

There is a Charcuterie shop at the back entrance of the Powerscourt shopping center. Its beside the entrance to the westbury Mall. Never been in there mind. Aldi/Lidl also do it pre-sliced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What about in Tallaght? :D Would love to try Italian sausage (would prefer it not pre-sliced though) in a recipe, but dunno where to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

kmick wrote: »
    There is a Charcuterie shop at the back entrance of the Powerscourt shopping center. Its beside the entrance to the westbury Mall. Never been in there mind.
    It's called Magills IIRC. All kinds of interesting stuff in there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What kind of italian sausage do you mean? Salami or the American style "Italian" sausage that has fennel seeds and chilli in it?
    The reason I ask is that I make my own sausages and one that I like is an Italian style with herbs, fennel seed and coriander seeds and either chilli flakes OR sugar to make it either hot or sweet respectively.
    You could get a butcher to mince some pork bellies and make your own and just use it crumbled rather than in links.
    I will post the recipe if you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Oh my goodness CJ pleas can you post the recipe for the american style Italian Sausage, my father in law is american and lives here and is constantly complaining about how he can't get good Italian sausage here
    Cheers

• Advertisement

As requested.

Spicy sausage
    2 kg boneless pork shoulder diced
    225g back fat. (note I buy skinless pork belly and use that instead of these two Ing.)
    40g coarse salt
    32g granulated sugar
    16g toasted fennel seeds
    8g toasted coriander seeds
    24 g hungarian paprika
    1g cayenne pepper
    24g fresh oregano leaves
    24g fresh basil leaves
    12g hot red pepper flakes
    6g coarsely ground black pepper
    185ml ice water
    50ml chilled red wine vinegar.

For sweet sausage
    1800g pork shoulder diced
    450g back fat
    40g salt
    32g sugar
    12g minced garlic
    16g toasted fennel seeds
    6g coarse ground black pepper
    16g sweet spanish paprika
    185ml ice water
    60 ml chilled red wine vinegar

combine all ingredients except water + vinegar and mix throughly.
    Chill unti ready to mince.
    Mince ingredients
    add water and vinegar and mix until liquids are absorbed and the mixture looks uniform and sticky about 1min in machine or 2 mins with strong spoon.
    fry and taste for seasoning, and correct if necessary.
    stuff into 6" links or just make into patties and fry if you don't have a sausage maker.

If you don't have a mincer get your butcher to mince the pork in the shop for you and just mix it well when you get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

fresh - smithfield
    which is for the fresh sausages, the one which are made with recipes similar to the one just posted

seasoned/matured sausages are called salame, they are made with a different recipe and you can find them sliced in tesco or LIDL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Lux23 wrote: »

Was that the one with your man the fashion designer who did them with roast pepppers in the oven. If so it looked great. I was gonna make it too but without the fennel salad because I hate fennel with a passion.
    I doubt if they have to be Italian sausages per se - I was gonna make it with beef and chilli sausages from Morrisseys on Wexford Street (they did them for a while, not sure if they still do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Thanks CJ, can't wait to try it out!
    Just one question, how do i measure 1g or 6g, etc such minute quantities without an electric scales? Any ideas?

1 Tbsp of sugar = 16g
    1 Tbsp of spice = 8g
    1 Tsp of spice =3g

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

jdivision wrote: »
    Was that the one with your man the fashion designer who did them with roast pepppers in the oven. If so it looked great. I was gonna make it too but without the fennel salad because I hate fennel with a passion.
    I doubt if they have to be Italian sausages per se - I was gonna make it with beef and chilli sausages from Morrisseys on Wexford Street (they did them for a while, not sure if they still do).

Yea thats the one. I actually got some lovely ones in Fallon & Byrne but they cost a small fortune for 10. I hate fennel too, yucky stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭dh2007

I saw Italian sausages for sale in Fallon and Byrne on Exchequer Street - They weren't salami but fresh pork sausages. They had them in the fridge in the back left corner and looked really meaty. I'm going to be going back in to get them later this week so I'll let you know how it goes!

Advertisement