Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need to punch a few cables . . .

Options
  • 03-01-2008 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Just a little advice on this, and apologies if it is in the wrong area.
    I need to punch an analogue connection in a krome case to a patch point in my comms room.
    I've run out of the twisted cable used for punching it in (skinny paired cable, not sure of the correct technical name)

Can i strip a standard cat 5 cable and steal one of the pairs from this or are they different cable thickness etc.

If so, any ideas where to pick some up in the city centre ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I believe CAT5 has a lot ticker wire than phone twisted cable. Plus CAT5 isn't stranded and phone cable is afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

you are probably right, just looking at an old cat5 cable and the apirs seem slightly thicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

paulusdu wrote: »
    Can i strip a standard cat 5 cable and steal one of the pairs from this

Works fine, I've done it myself plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

No reason you can not use cat 5, you just use only 2 of the cables when punching.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Cheers lads, cut the cable open, pulled out a pair and used them and all is fine, connected and working away

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Just for the info! Eircom engineers are using Cat5 to run phone cables nowadays. I noticed this after a friend ahd an eircom engineer out to fix a problem and he reran the cable with cat5

Advertisement