Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista and XP

• 03-01-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Got a new laptop over Christmas, came with Vista preloaded.
    I have a lot of stuff running on XP and I have the original discs.
    Can I install XP and have it run as well as Vista, and not overwrite it.
    If so, how do I do it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

grr

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not legally, unless the copy of windows XP
    - not an OEM copy
    - not an upgraded copy where OEM was the version upgraded
    - not installed on any other PC.

While you can downgrade Vista Business or Enterprise or Ultimate to XP pro you can't run both OS's at the same time.

As a general rule installing windows will block booting of all other OS's except older versions of windows. So you'd have to shrink the partition and do a parallel install of XP and then fix Vista and have fun and games with drive letters. Or do a clean install of XP and then an install of Vista on the same partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Dear Capt'n Midnight ,

Thank you for the reply.
    Sorry but I am not very tech minded, so I have one or two more questions,
    I can "do a clean install of XP" however " and then an install of Vista on the same partition." is a problem as it was preloaded on the laptop when it came and there were no discs.
    Any ideas on how to get around this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hi,

Did a downgrade from vista to xp for a customer recently (it was a HP).
    A lot of vendors do offer this as a service. Contact your support and they may send you a copy of XP which will work using the Vista key supplied. It should cost nothing as you already have a Vista license.

On the no disks thing, there is probably a utility installed that will write your syste,m disks to CD's or DVD's. Usually called 'Recovery software' or 'Recovery backup'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Clseeper

Why go back to XP? I've recently moved to Vista 64Bit on a new system and all of my software still works on vista. Have you tried installing them to see?

So far everything works apart for Adobe illiustrator which I'd didn't use much so haven't really bothered following up on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

layke,
    The laptop is a Dell.
    I am not trying to downgrade, what I would like is, to have is the option on booting the laptop to choose which system (XP or Vista) to use.

Clseeper,
    I have not tried to install most of them. They may work.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I know this depends totally on what applications you want to use, but everything I had on XP is working fine in Vista. It may well be worth installing your apps to see if they work.

Advertisement