Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap coffee thats decent?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭

Ok we all like cubita here but occasionally its not available, or you're a bit strapped, and you decide to pick up some coffee that's not as expensive. What do you go for? I got a pack of roberts Indian plantation a month ago that was good, but not that much cheaper than cubita. Then the other day I got a half kilo of papua new guinean coffee in lidl for 3.49 on special offer. I should've known better, it manages to be both bland and not nice. So what do you go for if you want to save a few quid?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Tough one. I'm outside the big-smoke. It hasn't happened yet and I've a press full of green beans so I can't see it happening soon.

I'd probably have to go for whatever the supermarkets had to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'm in the same boat as Mr M, I've a press with over 10 kgs of green beans
    in stock so as long as I remember to stick on a roast I'm sorted with a
    supply of my favourite Cuban beans.

What price are you paying for Cubita - just so we know what price range
    you're looking at?

Are you looking for beans or ground coffee?

Java Republic do a decent range and most of the larger supermarkets (in
    Dublin anyway) stock it. http://www.javarepublic.com/

if I was stick and had to pick up coffee in a supermarket I'd most likely
    go with the Java Republic espresso beans or if looking for pre-ground
    I'd pick up a tin of Illy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yesh, I'd say it's be Java for me too actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Total agreement! Jave republic get my vote and we have just finished Illy beans at about €7.80 a tin. Lasted all over Christmas. Strapped a bit this week so I decided to try the Tesco finest Java and was pleasantly suprised. Not bad for the price. Under €4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

If you're near the Dublin 6 area "Taste if Italy" on Dunville Avenue sell 1kg of Sequella Oro beans for €15.99. Lovely coffee. Good choice of ground stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rcmjohn

I'm drinking fallon and byrne's house esspresso blend at the mo. 7 euro for a bag (beans or ground) and it's very good imho.

Their decaf isn't bad either, although if you need a fine grind for your machine you'll have to have a grinder or get them to grind some in-store for you cos they only keep a medium grind on the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Good idea for a thread - always on the look out for some nice supermarket coffee to use when i'm stuck.

The tin of Illy is around €7.50 i think in tesco which is pretty pricey considering the take home stuff from the Bald Barista €8 a bag, which is absolute nyom :)

Tried this percol stuff (strength 5) i got from tesco recently and it was pretty drinkable (4€ish a bag) I want to try the Java Republic but they only have the filter grind not the one for french press in my local tesco :(:(

anybody tried carte noir ground?? i think that's the only one i've yet to try lol

Tried Carte Noire ground coffee some years back and didn't find it anything
    special. I'd rate Tesco's own-brand ground higher. Again it's been a couple
    of years now but I liked Tesco's purple coloured bag of Italian/espresso roast
    last time I tried it - it surprised me as I didn't have high expectations but
    for a supermarket-brand for the French press it was pretty good.

people people..... if you're going to quote a price "per bag" will you tell us the weight of that bag? It's a bit pointless otherwise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭okgirl

Humble apologies, from what I can remember the Tesco brand bag of ground coffee was 227g.

• Advertisement

Mine also referred to the 227g size (apologies!)

Mine also referred to the 227g size (apologies!)

I thought that. But if people are paying €7/€8 for a quarter kilo (roughly) it's hardly cheap! That's €32 a kg which is twice what I'm paying for Sequella Oro.

That was my point really - Illy is very pricey for a supermarket type coffee. (The Bald barista one isn't a cheap / supermarket recommendation - it's my normal brew! I was just using it as a benchmark to show that you can get a much better quality one for the same price as illy)

Point taken. I must try that Baldies coffee.... if only to support a like minded (headed) coffee lover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I pay something like €6.50 for a quarter kilo of ground cubita. There's only one shop in sligo that does it that I know of. the lidl coffee is ground really small, and its leaving a lot of water in the filter of my machine. Overall its pretty crap, but it might be useable in a caftitere(?) or stove top yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭74merc

I like Marks and Spencers medium roast fairtrade beans. It tastes like the same stuff they use in Cafe Revive. Costs £2.25 in the north. I know you don't have Sainsburys in the south but their own brand Colombian is nice and costs around £1.50.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭billyblanks

okgirl wrote: »
    Strapped a bit this week so I decided to try the Tesco finest Java and was pleasantly suprised. Not bad for the price. Under €4

I Agree...

First time in 3 years I ran out of freshly roasted coffee....had some people coming over so I needed some quick, I bought the Tesco Java (only whole bean I could find) and it really wasn't too bad....for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Have only just found this thread. I make our coffee in a cafetiere and use Lidl's Caffe Espresso 100% Arabica Bellarom 200g which is 1.59 Euro. Gives a nice strong coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ive tried that lidl coffee and like it. Its great value ... and not the worst by any means. For that price, its worth a try.:)

Marks & Sparks have buy 1 get 1 half price on their ground coffee and beans
    at the moment - think the offer lasts until Sunday as part of their fair-trade
    promo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement