Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood flooring in Galway

Options
  • 03-01-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of putting in wood floor (semi-solid self-assembly kind) in the house, hall and sitting room, about 25 sq. m.
    Anyone got any recommendations of wood flooring suppliers with a good range and just as importantly good prices? Prefer in the Galway area as I'd like to visit a few places this weekend and see whats available...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭damalo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Thinking of putting in wood floor (semi-solid self-assembly kind) in the house, hall and sitting room, about 25 sq. m.
    Anyone got any recommendations of wood flooring suppliers with a good range and just as importantly good prices? Prefer in the Galway area as I'd like to visit a few places this weekend and see whats available...

Check our Curleys in Craughwell. Its only 20 mins drive. Got them to do my semi solid kitchen floor. They'll recommend a fitter aswell for about 10 / sq yard

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cheers, I'll have a look there. Is it in Craughwell itself or outside the village?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll have a look there. Is it in Craughwell itself or outside the village?

"main street" - Its about 30 seconds up the road from the petrol station (on the right) as you head into the village.

I found them pretty good in terms of deal doing. There's a guy in there called Gary who is pretty on the ball with carpets etc but he did help me pick out the wood and did me the price (someone else from the same place gave me a quote of several hundred more for the same stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭pencil

Prepare to get charged well in Galway.

When renovating our house last year we hired a van and drove to Irwins in Castleblaney (Monaghan). We got Solid 5" Oak boards (and damn fine quality ones too) cheaper than the semi-solid stuff in Galway. Think we paid 28euro per sq yard (or was it metre) for 5" (wide) solid Finished Oak.

It's worth a phone call. One thing to be wary of is - they do have some awfully cheap sh!te up there (as well as very good quality stuff) ..... remember you pay for what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I got laminate floors last year, and unfortunately didn't know about Curleys at the time. Got carpet off them since, and they were excellent to deal with.

Curleys also have a hugh place in Briarhill, in the same estate as Cunningham-Higgins and Western Motors.

From a customer point of view, their service was brilliant.

You could also try First Choice Flooring in Terryland.

There is another shop in Briarhill I certainly would NOT recommend, but I can't name it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Fey! wrote: »
    I got laminate floors last year, and unfortunately didn't know about Curleys at the time. Got carpet off them since, and they were excellent to deal with.

Curleys also have a hugh place in Briarhill, in the same estate as Cunningham-Higgins and Western Motors.

From a customer point of view, their service was brilliant.

You could also try First Choice Flooring in Terryland.

There is another shop in Briarhill I certainly would NOT recommend, but I can't name it here.

Was in Curley's today, probably going to buy there. Prices slightly better than elsewhere. Still have one or two places to check out. Could you pm me the place to avoid? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

damalo wrote: »
    "main street" he did help me pick out the wood and did me the price (someone else from the same place gave me a quote of several hundred more for the same stuff)

What sort of discount was that. Couple of hundred on several thousand is different to a couple of hundred on 1000. If discounting is very good then it might be worth my while to head over there myself even though its much less convenient for me.
    Thanks

It was approx 35% of a difference in price

Scale that based on what you need as I was only floring one room (with wood)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

That's brilliant. Thanks

Advertisement