Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornered by a theist.

Options
  • 03-01-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

This thread might come up twice a day for all I know, but anyway,

It annoys me that any theist can say to me "How can you not believe in God? You don't believe in an afterlife? You really don't believe in God?", like I'm some kind of freak/lunatic, but if I was to walk up to a theist and say "You really believe in God? You actually believe in an afterlife?", that would be deemed extremely offensive. How do I respond to this?

:confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

It's ''atheist''. Not 'a theist'.

Plus, i have no clue what you're talking about. Your post is extremely confusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Ask them if they believe in magic or fairies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Tell them you just believe in science and that you in fact just think you are a different form of ape. Thats what i say and believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Plus, i have no clue what you're talking about. Your post is extremely confusing.

Nope, it makes perfect sence. As you have said you have no clue what hes talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

A theist is someone who believes in god(s). The opposite of an atheist.

If you don't understand words, of course you're going to be confused.

www.dictionary.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

If the person is being irritating or insulting I usually respond with 'No, I don't need the false comfort of a fictitious being or place to get me through life, thank you very much'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

I had a Jehovah's witness call to my house a few weeks back when i was home morning. His attitude became allmost offensive when I told him my views that I didnt think there was any divine or supreme being whatsoever and felt comfortable with scientific explanations for life and the universe or that I would take ancient celtic explanations over his. This drove him mad and his attitude was the same, making me feel like I was the lunatic!

He came back a few days later with a book about "is there a creator" which i must read to see his point of view. I will speak to him again if I meet him for debate's sake but i didnt like his attitude at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

A theist is someone who believes in god(s). The opposite of an atheist.

If you don't understand words, of course you're going to be confused.

www.dictionary.com

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Reply in a hushed tone "No, I'm going undercover to infiltrate the atheists", wink at them, and then say "YEP, THERE'S NO GOD" in a loud voice.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

"How can you not believe in God?"

I have no beliefs regarding the existence of any god. Just like the Pope has no beliefs regarding the resurrection(s) of Dr Who or the fate of the Battlestar Galactica. I don't believe your God doesn't exist, he may, however so might Thor, Orbital Teapots, the Pink Unicorn, the Flying Spaghetti Monster and a Scofflawcentric Universe exist.

Would that do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

I guess my whole problem is that I don't even want to challenge them back. I never invited a debate with this person in the first place. But if I was a Muslim and a Christian strode up to me and said "Why do you believe in Allah?" "Why do you think women should wear headscarves?", etc, that would be considered very offensive by most.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

I usually act ignorant to a ridiculous degree

T:"How can you not believe in God?"
    Me: Who is this God?
    T: The guy who made us all
    Me: I would like to meet this guy where does he live?
    T: No hes the supreme being he is not a person
    Me:So you have not met him? Have you seen him on TV then?
    T: No hes god he lives in heaven he's not been on TV.
    Me:So how do you know about him?

I have a competition with myself how many questions I can ask people before they give out to me for taking the piss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

blah wrote: »
    This thread might come up twice a day for all I know, but anyway,

It annoys me that any theist can say to me "How can you not believe in God? You don't believe in an afterlife? You really don't believe in God?", like I'm some kind of freak/lunatic, but if I was to walk up to a theist and say "You really believe in God? You actually believe in an afterlife?", that would be deemed extremely offensive. How do I respond to this?

:confused:

Just calmly answer that you have no need to believe in such delusions. Say it with a really smug self-satisfied look, that drives them mad!

But seriously, remind the theist that as it is he/she who is making the assertion i.e that god exists and that their religion is the 'true' religion, that the burden of proof is on them, not you. And by the way, don't ever be too concerned about offending someone's religious persuasions, because they'd have no trouble in offending yours (or lack of in this case). If someone takes offence that you don't believe in their favourite fairytale than that's their problem, not yours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nobody in real life ever asks me why I don't believe in God. :(

Possibly because I'd only ever bring it up if it was relevant, and frankly, it usually isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

If you find it happens often, and those who do it are mostly Christians then I suggest getting the following laminated onto a handy credit-card size handout.

christen8.jpg

Simply hand it to them and ask for any comments, you could also enquire if they found it offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I guess my whole problem is that I don't even want to challenge them back. I never invited a debate with this person in the first place. But if I was a Muslim and a Christian strode up to me and said "Why do you believe in Allah?" "Why do you think women should wear headscarves?", etc, that would be considered very offensive by most.

Ah - in that case tell them that you don't think about "stuff like that", thanks, and that you find the whole subject really boring - and yes, you've heard all the stuff before, thanks. If they persist, keep telling them "look sorry but this is really boring me". Even dedicated evangelicals find it hard to keep going in the face of it - partly out of politeness, partly out of self-esteem.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

It comes up every so often for me but people are generally more surprised than insulted that I dont believe in God. The questions they ask me are pretty genuine as opposed to trying to catch me out. I think if youre not out to have a battle then its very rare that youll end up cornered by a rabid theist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

cavedave wrote: »
    I usually act ignorant to a ridiculous degree

T:"How can you not believe in God?"
    Me: Who is this God?
    T: The guy who made us all
    Me: I would like to meet this guy where does he live?
    T: No hes the supreme being he is not a person
    Me:So you have not met him? Have you seen him on TV then?
    T: No hes god he lives in heaven he's not been on TV.
    Me:So how do you know about him?

I have a competition with myself how many questions I can ask people before they give out to me for taking the piss

That never happened, did it Dave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Why would that be considered offensive?

It would depend on teh approach, granted, but why be offended if someone genuinely wanted to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

estebancambias
    That never happened, did it Dave?

Not those exact words no, but I do pretend not to understand the concept of God and religion to watch people try to explain them. The trick is not to go for the simple "why?" but to ask absurdly literalist queries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

How do I respond to this?

By explaining it to them as it is:

Please don't ban me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I have never once had someone try to convince me of their position outside of internet forums. No atheists tried to convince me in my younger years, no religious people try to save me these days. I'm as...uncompromising...in person as I am here, so most people have learned not to get into an argument unless they really want an argument. Most people seem to be simpering cowards when it comes to their beliefs.

That said, I've convinced loads of people that they aren't actually Catholics/Christians. Most people start off the conversation going "I'm a Catholic" and by the end they understand they are in fact a marginal deist. Its so easy to do really. As the poster above shows, it truly is a ludicrous proposition.

- Do you believe that Jesus was the literal son of/incarnation of God, the supreme ruler of the universe and the entity featured in the Bible?
    - Do you believe that the Virgin Mary literally flew into the sky and went to heaven rather than dying like a normal person?
    - Do you understand and agree with the notion of the Trinity?
    - Do you understand and agree with the notion of Papal infallibility?
    - Do you understand and agree with the notion of transubstantiation?

etc etc

Once people, especially those in my age group, are confronted with what Catholicsm really is about they feel a bit embarrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

pclancy wrote: »
    I had a Jehovah's witness call to my house a few weeks back when i was home morning. His attitude became allmost offensive when I told him my views that I didnt think there was any divine or supreme being whatsoever and felt comfortable with scientific explanations for life and the universe or that I would take ancient celtic explanations over his. This drove him mad and his attitude was the same, making me feel like I was the lunatic!

He came back a few days later with a book about "is there a creator" which i must read to see his point of view. I will speak to him again if I meet him for debate's sake but i didnt like his attitude at all.
    That sounds head recking.
    Ask him who he thinks created God? Or if he wonders if God has faith in someone created him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Lazarus! Back from the dead... :D

I'd say it's been quiet around here without you, Tim, but save for the week-long feast of Saint Turkey it hasn't!

Zillah wrote: »
    I have never once had someone try to convince me of their position outside of internet forums. No atheists tried to convince me in my younger years, no religious people try to save me these days. I'm as...uncompromising...in person as I am here, so most people have learned not to get into an argument unless they really want an argument. Most people seem to be simpering cowards when it comes to their beliefs.

That said, I've convinced loads of people that they aren't actually Catholics/Christians. Most people start off the conversation going "I'm a Catholic" and by the end they understand they are in fact a marginal deist. Its so easy to do really. As the poster above shows, it truly is a ludicrous proposition.

- Do you believe that Jesus was the literal son of/incarnation of God, the supreme ruler of the universe and the entity featured in the Bible?
    - Do you believe that the Virgin Mary literally flew into the sky and went to heaven rather than dying like a normal person?
    - Do you understand and agree with the notion of the Trinity?
    - Do you understand and agree with the notion of Papal infallibility?
    - Do you understand and agree with the notion of transubstantiation?

etc etc

Once people, especially those in my age group, are confronted with what Catholicsm really is about they feel a bit embarrassed.

There is only one religion, but thousands with different beliefs.

God is the most important aspect of faith. This is why I love Religion, not Catholicism. That is why I don't buy the argument, if you were born in Tripoli would you be Christian....no I would not but I would believe in God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

God is the most important aspect of faith. This is why I love Religion, not Catholicism. That is why I don't buy the argument, if you were born in Tripoli would you be Christian....no I would not but I would believe in God.
    And if you were born around 500BC you'd also believe in god. In fact you'd believe in MANY gods -- eg. Zeus, Apollo, Athena, Aphrodite. You certainly wouldn't be a Christian, nor would you believe in the Abrahamic god that you apparantly believe is a hybrid of every god in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So ultimately you're just a wishy washy theist with nothing to say beyond your subjective notion of God, which while technically impossible to disprove, is about as useful as a cigarette with no lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If a theist actually did confront me with such a question I'd tell them that I couldn't believe in a god that would give my 8 year old brother cancer and allow him to die a slow, painful death.

That would probably make him think twice about approaching someone else.

DaveMcG wrote: »
    And if you were born around 500BC you'd also believe in god. In fact you'd believe in MANY gods -- eg. Zeus, Apollo, Athena, Aphrodite. You certainly wouldn't be a Christian, nor would you believe in the Abrahamic god that you apparantly believe is a hybrid of every god in the world.

Check and mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You would also have ended up in hell ...

Advertisement