Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Engine rebuild tommorrow

Options
  • 03-01-2008 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭

I'm getting my damaged engine taken out a new one built and put together all parts supplied by myself and everything ready to be assembled. I'm just wondering before i pay 2k tommorrow does anyone know anywhere in dublin that will do a good job for cheaper. Its a punto gt by the way. Fiat wont do the work

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

€2k would nearly get you a new vehicle...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why won't FIAT do it? Did they just want to replace it?
    Anyhow;
    1. 2k is a huge amount to pay. A new engine supplied and fitted would be less (I would have thought)
    2. You ask this the day before its going in for the work? Not very considerate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

i only found out was going in today and with no engines here in ireland be looking at about 6k for a new one so big difference place is 75 quid an hour which dont mind but saying 25 hours is a bit much most people in uk do it in about 15hours :(.
    Spent 3k on the car and then vrted knowing engine wasnt in best condition has spent another at least 2k on car parts (and about 8k on car and parts in total so far) to replace the whole engine so dont think another car is an option. Only parts off the enginge that are staying are cambox and sump everything inbetween has been bought new or from a car with 37k on it. Block has just been brought back from being tested today(just got it ready as has been under me bed for few months while i bought all the parts needed
    http://www.puntosports.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=83125 thats a link to give people an idea of what i have and what needs doing all the accessories wont be put on by the garage

cant exactly remember why wouldnt replace it think was because i had the head off the car so they wouldnt be able to put a warranty on the work or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

There is no way that job could be done in 15 hours. 25 hours is closer the mark.
    Also, a lot of garages would refuse to finish any job started by someone else due to the very real complications that can cause so I think you are doing well to get it in anywhere.
    I am surprised they quoted you the time rather than estimated it, or did they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Why not get a second hand motor?

i'm not getting a second motor as wouldnt last half as long as if i got a new engine built with everything being new or from a car with 37k on it no play in the turbo at all with block/pistons etc immac. If got a new motor could end up in the same situation.

I'm happy to get the car done just wanted to get rid of the last minute things going through my head like am i going to be ripped off etc but not likely to happen in a garage like this one :). Oh and 15 hours is perfectly reasonable for a punto gt engine to be done with skimmed head/block done already all parts in front of you perfect turbo and spares if anything goes wrong?
    Its 3hours max to get it out from what i have it like which have seen done and was going to do myself with a little instruction from a friend but they wanted me to leave as said parts could go missing :confused:
    My apologies it was an estimation and thats why i was looking thinking about another place because dont wana drop it in give 2k then have to give another 1k and the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

deceit wrote: »
    Oh and 15 hours is perfectly reasonable for a punto gt engine to be done with skimmed head/block done already all parts in front of you

There is no way that job could be done to completion in 15 Hours working at a normal pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

deceit wrote: »
    Spent 3k on the car and then vrted knowing engine wasnt in best condition has spent another at least 2k on car parts (and about 8k on car and parts in total so far)

How long ago did you VRT the car? I remember something about being able to claim back VRT if you had to spend money on the car for repairs immediately after VRT'ing the car?

Just found the thread. Needs to be done within two months of VRT'ing the car: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51555110&postcount=23

I'll accept your wont be done in 15hours then if so what would be the maximum i'd be looking at when getting it done? What would be quickest/longest should take?

• Advertisement

i vrted the car a day before it shut for christmas last year so will definiately look into that

Advertisement