Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me buy a phone...

• 03-01-2008 5:35pm

OK, Recently I had a creative zen Vision: M and a cool pair of Sennehieser circumaural headphones.. But i've managed to break both of those.

So i was planning on buying a new mp3 player and thought that seen as my phone needs to be updated, why not look for a phone that can also be my MP3 player. that way i don't have to carry around as much stuff and i get a new phone.

However.. I'm having a lot of difficulty finding such a phone.

Anyone able to help?

Things the mobular blower must have are the following:

Must be Meteor!

Large memory

have a standard headphone socket for listening to music (I believe 3.5mm is the correct size)

Durable (If i drop it i don't want it to shatter into pieces)

Be easy to use

Anyone know of any decent phones fitting that criteria?

Help will be much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Just look on the meteor website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,267 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I cant see any suiting your criteria on meteor, their range of phones isn't the best imo

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Im afraid it is very rare to get a phone as a music player with a large memory. And if you can find one, the prices tend to be exorbitant.

It is still more viable to get a seperate mp3 player.

(This is coming from a n95 user. I also carry a 30gb mp3 with me nearly all the time. n95 does nicely for a camera + interweb access, but its a waste of batt life and memory to use it for music.)

Hi guys,

I've been mooching on Metoer's site and I came acros a phone called a "Nokia 5300".

From what I'e read on reviews across the net, its a decent phone, but isn't very durable.

Anyone here have it or care to comment on it or suggest something else?

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭massy086

u could try a nokia 6288 great phone buy a 2gb memory card and put all ur music on that its wat i do and it works great dont know if metoir do them but u could buy o2 or voda and get unlocked 4 10euro happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Hi guys,

I've been mooching on Metoer's site and I came acros a phone called a "Nokia 5300".

From what I'e read on reviews across the net, its a decent phone, but isn't very durable.

Anyone here have it or care to comment on it or suggest something else?

Thanks again :)

do not go near the 5300, your body heat alone would be enough to crack the LCD (ask around, no joke!). lately, mid range nokia's in general have an array of reliability issues; you may have noticed a thread or two about the 6300. sony ericsson is the way to go,

w810i - big, kinda old now, good bttery, only about €130 at this stage
    w610i - smaller, less old

very similar phones both can take a 2GB card (rumour has it, perhaps a 4GB but i've never seen it) sony's disk2phone SW enables file compression so you can knock the files down to 64kbps and fit twice as much on. Dont go near the new w580i; it looks like the same specs but the buttons will crack inside two months of use. To ensure a fall won't smash them though. . .you could try bubble wrap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

you can get an 8GB card for the w810i. http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/269/349/-/3316907/Sony-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo-8GB/Product.html?searchtype=genre&cur=258

its a great phone. can't really say anything bad about it.

Well guys... I'm now the owner of a Sony Ericsson W810i. After hearing your comments about it, i checked a few online reviews and everyone seems to be happy with it.

I'm pretty happy too. I'll definitely be picking up a memory card for it at some stage, but I'll wait until I actually need to get it before i buy it.

The only problem i have with it is that in order to listen to decent headphones I have to use their ridiculously-thought-out adaptor. The headphones provided have very little wire, but the adaptor has a lot. Perfect if you plan on using the headphones that came with it, but I wanted to use my Sennheiser headphones, which is just not possible now. The three metre cable off the Sennheiser's was enough of a problem, but with an extra length of cord its just not realistic.

Looks like i'll have to pick up a pair of bluetooth headphones.

I may aswell ask you guys, seen as you know what your talking about, would these headphones work with the W810i?

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500000701&langId=-1&productId=1500128567

(If the link doesn't work, go to Argos.ie and type in the catalogue number 0482666)

Thanks again to everyone who is helping me out. Truly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

from looking here:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_w810-1402.php

it doesn't look like the w810i has A2DP, ie stereo bluetooth. if you use BT headphones, you'll get mono

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

the in-box headphones are good, the whole in ear rubber thingy is just the job to block out junkies voices on the bus. i've got the sony ericsson bluetooth headphones, cant vouch for their reliability tho, lose connection too often, i went back to the original ones

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    the in-box headphones are good, the whole in ear rubber thingy is just the job to block out junkies voices on the bus. i've got the sony ericsson bluetooth headphones, cant vouch for their reliability tho, lose connection too often, i went back to the original ones

I understad why the rubber is there. I just never found in-ear headphones to be comfortable. I prefer big headphones (Sennheiser, Bose, etc.) or at the very least, on-ear headphones.

My current headphones have 3metre of cable, and theres too much cable on the sony ericsson adaptor to make it realistic enough that i could walk around with that much cable. I've struggled with 3metres of cable before.. Its not fun, so an extra bit wont help.

Losing connection doesn't sound good though. I'll probably shop around for a pair of decent headphones with a shorter cord.

Does anyone know if theres any kind of headphone adaptor that can be bought for the W810i that would enable me to use 2.5mm headphones (the same as the connection thats with it) but with a shorter cable? This is why i was considering the Nokia 5300. It has a 2.5mm socket built on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭ratminer

If you can live with 8GB of music the N95 is a great solution. I got one last week and now a believer. I also have a Creative Zen 8GB, IRIVER 20GB and Creative 30GB players along with a Creative Vision:W (when I list them like that it gets me thinking about selling some of them). them.

I'm converging on the N95 being my main travel companion, augmented by the new Creative Zen 32GB when it is available and the Vision:W is I really want to watch movies.

I'm finding popping 8GB of my must have music on the N95 fine for most purposes, although you do have to make some decisions.

Overall its a fantastic phone so MP3 is just another win with it.

Advertisement