Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance for Childcare service....

Options
  • 03-01-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Quick question...

Where could I get info on car insurance for a childcare service?? Basically GF is planning on running a afterschool service, will invlolve collecting kids after school in our car(planning on getting a 7 seat MPV)....

Just wondering who'd do insurance for this as I assume it doens't fall under a std policy..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Anyone, Class 2 or 3 should cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Forgive my ignorance.. Class 2, 3??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd start by asking your current insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Iirc, a regular poster here was asking the same question a year, maybe two years ago. You might try and do a search

If picking up the kids is a commercial service, there might be more to it than just motor insurance, I'm afraid

Anyway, let us know how you're getting on finding out, R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

unkel wrote: »
    Iirc, a regular poster here was asking the same question a year, maybe two years ago. You might try and do a search
    Here it is: linky.

The concerns I brought up in that thread probably apply here too.
    The OP in the first thread is still active on Boards.ie, so it mightn't be a bad idea to PM them to see if they went ahead with the enterprise and how it worked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thanks, Rovi. That was indeed the link I remembered :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

There are two creches/montessorii near us that we use, and both have had issues with this.

The first used to have their own 7-seater, and did a collection from the local school for after-school care - school is 1 mile or less, away. They gave it up as they couldn't make it pay - needed a PSV licence and commercial insurance etc, and it was uneconomic. Now you have multiple parents doing that run everyday instead.......:(

The other used a hackney, but he gave it up as it was too much trouble trying to be there at the appointed time (:rolleyes:) every day, and arranging booster seats etc etc. They too looked at using their own vehicle etc, but found that for them too, it was uneconomic - and these places could have a full, or several, car loads per day.

If you can make it work, I salute you, but there must be something in this that's causing a problem for this service to not exist as-is.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Right... www.kiddinsurances.ie do it

Thats where her montessori is insured. Fully comp on a opel zafira with me as a named driver €940... Thats cheaper than a normal policy with quinn direct..

The policy covers the colection etc of kids for afterschool/creche services.

PSV licence is about €15

It'll work out grand I thinks. Two trips a day, 12 kids... No real outgoings as we where changing the car this year so no harm in getting a 7 seater instead, psv licence cheap. Just need to get 6 booster seats... Anyways, it aint happening till Sept comming....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Does it definitely fall under PSV? The actual carriage of them in the vehicle isn't for hire and reward, it's just part of something else. Maybe like being taken for a test drive in a car, the salesperson is driving you but not for reward, I'm sure I could have used a better example because I'm sure there's a whole different insurance thing for giving test drives.

• Advertisement

Thats true... its not a requirement of the insurance to have it. I'll prob get one myself, could use a car as a taxi in the eves...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

was thinking of getting myself one too, be handy on the way home from a job just stick on the taxi plate and pick up some business (and use it for bus lanes the rest of the time :D).

Advertisement