Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a US Kitchen Aid Blender in Ireland

• 03-01-2008 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

I got a KitchenAid blender from the US and am worried about the frequency when using a transformer.

It is 120v, 6.0 Amp and 60 hz. As we have 50 hz I suspect the cycles will be off and as they are preset to different food types I am not sure if we have a dust gatherer in our midsts.

Is there anything I can do to regulate the frequency or is the transformer sufficient?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

It's the frequency of the voltage that differs, this shouldn't impact the frequency of the cycle afaik. The transformer should be sufficient. Try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭sue97

Would be interested in finding out how you get on as thinking of buying one on the web and they are €150 including shipping on ebay and €450 in Meadows and Byrnes:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

OP - You may be better off asking this in Gardening & DIY. There are a few posters over there who would be better able to advise you on electrical matters than the foodies in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Frequency shouldnt matter. You have to match the transformer to the power usage. 6amp is pretty high, so you couldnt use say a transformer that would only suit a US playstation. There is no harm getting an overrated one, i.e. one suitable for 13A, but the higher you go the more it costs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I think the advice you've been given is sound, still, as Hill Billy says it's an electrical issue so I'll move it for some more input.

Moved to electrical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy one from Germany they are correct voltage and Hz for Europe.
    and not the meadows and Byrne price either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Red Devil wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a KitchenAid blender from the US and am worried about the frequency when using a transformer.

It is 120v, 6.0 Amp and 60 hz. As we have 50 hz I suspect the cycles will be off and as they are preset to different food types I am not sure if we have a dust gatherer in our midsts.

Is there anything I can do to regulate the frequency or is the transformer sufficient?

I don't think this will be successful, for the following reasons:

The 60Hz (Hertz) motor will run slower on 50 Hz, this will reduce the power and also affect the cooling of the motor. So the motor may overheat.

If the control unit is digital, it will work fine. However if the unit uses the mains frequency as a time reference there will be a problem with timing.

From the numbers you quote the unit is over 700 watts, so you will need a
    1KVA transformer, which will be costly and bulky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭robfitz

This Kitchenaid K45 Mixer from Nisbets in the UK looked like good value to me when I was looking at it last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Advertisement