Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clara.... Anyone????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

glasso wrote: »
    can you please educate me and explain a "hawk" in the context that it's being used here...?

Im not sure! actually thats a good question how did "hawk" come about?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Pram city. God, it is chocobloc full of skobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

jezza wrote: »
    Pram city. God, it is chocobloc full of skobes.

Dictionary.com No results found for skobes.

What is a skobe and what has it to do with Clara.

I used to live nearby. I'd estimate alot of people are living there and commuting to Athlone, Tullamore, Mullingar and probably a good few to Dublin. It's on a regional rail link. Not that bad of a place, just not much to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Rotti Express

I wouldn't worry about the people commuting to other towns. It's the tracksuit brigade who've never worked a day in their lives who bring the tone of the place down. It's a real factory town.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

The cus-a-J who let the trolls out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Let's not beat around the bush here.

Clara's the worst town I've ever seen in Ireland. It's grey, drab, depressing. When I'm heading back to Dublin I avoid it, or try to drive with my eyes closed if I have to go through it. It's that bad.

All of the buildings seem to be crumbling. A while ago, the whole town was closed off from traffic because of some problem, never got to find out what it was, but it didn't sound nice. Can someone enlighten me? It was going on for a couple of months.

It's a rough spot, big time. They don't like outsiders. Then there's the Clara Market. You can get pirated DVDs, stolen power tools, it's a knacker-fest...and I'm not hating on the Traveller population because it's not just them :mad:

A cursory search on DAFT for houses in Clara will tell you enough...a 3 bedroom house for €650 a month rent, €150,000 for a three bedroom house...

Seriously now, it's a dive. It's a kip. No disrespect to locals, but it's a laughing stock.

Is Brian Cowan from Clara?

Yes but he doesn't live there now. He may have had something to do with the good roads that lead out of the place though.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

ian_m wrote: »
    Is Brian Cowan from Clara?

Indeed he is but emmigrated to tullamore!:D

• Advertisement

offaly1 wrote: »
    Indeed he is but emmigrated to tullamore!:D

Must be easy enough to get a visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

We'll be in the village on Monday, my 7 year old son will be in the parade as a member of the GAA club & we'll be checking out the pubs afterwards :eek: ... it should be a good indicator as to what Clara is really like :D ... I'll let you doubters know :) !!!

I for one can't wait to hear what you think... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭vodkasoda

I for one can't wait to hear what you think... :D

We had a great day, apart from the fact that the wind was blowing at about minus 20 !!! Went into 3 different pubs, everybody was friendly, there was no trouble, the kids were allowed to have a play and a dance ...

I really can't see why some of you people have an issue with Clara ?!?

Advertisement