Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions wanted

Options
  • 03-01-2008 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Well my PC went Poof there just before X-Mas, but luckily I was covered on insurance. Now that that is almost gone through its time to look at fixing up the bits I have and replacing them.

Just to note. The RAM I already have, got it as an X-Mas pressie andthe case is just an expensive looks good spend. But the other bits are what Im interested in ppls opinions. This is going to be air flow cooled as I just find water cooled sick and wrong.

BFG 512mb GTS G92 GFX Card
    Q6600 Intel Quad Core
    or
    Intel Duo Core 6850
    ASUS 780i P5N T Deluxe
    4 GB Crucial 8500+ RAM
    Zalma GT1000
    Crucial 620W PSU

My DVD Drive, 2 x 500 GB Sata Drives. Wireless Adapter and Multi Card Readers survived so no need to replace them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭vir7ual

if it was me, id go for the quad core, but id change the board to an intel X35 instead of the nvidia board, unless you're going to be running sli. or if you want X38 board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

sweet build. go with the quad imo. nice to overclock with.

love the term "i just find water cooled sick and wrong"

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Id say that case is great.. Always wanted it.. couldn't justify the price for it though...

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

This is going to be air flow cooled as I just find water cooled sick and wrong.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

vir7ual wrote: »
    if it was me, id go for the quad core, but id change the board to an intel X35 instead of the nvidia board, unless you're going to be running sli. or if you want X38 board.
    Any particular reason for the choice of x35 ,x38 over the new 780i? im looking for something that will fully support the new intel chip.

It would seem the p35 don't support new chip type while the x38 do, here is an alternative
    Asus Maximus Formula Intel X38

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

780i is not a new chipset, its just a rehash of the 680i chipset. Go for either a p35 or X38 as these are the newer chipsets, x38 being the latest one.

Hi PogMoThoin

What I meant by new chipset was the new Intel 45nm Processir, my bad explanation of what I was looking for :p. I think the x38 I have there is the winner some of the reviews its getting are great, specially when coupled with Q6600. Whats peoples thoughts about the RAM, I know I have it, but the one thing I know nothing about is ram and low latency etc

I think the x38 I have there is the winner some of the reviews its getting are great, specially when coupled with Q6600.

Either p35 or x38, since your buying a q6600, which is not a 45nm cpu. Could save money 2 spend elsewhere by going for a p35 which will handle a q6600 as well as an x38. That Asus maximus is one of the most expensive mobo's you can buy. Since your going for aircoooling, temperatures will decide your max overclock & any p35 or x38 mobo will do.

Whats peoples thoughts about the RAM, I know I have it, but the one thing I know nothing about is ram and low latency etc

Get 2x2Gb Pc2 8000 or pc2 8500, Mobo's handle 2 sticks better than 4 & your gonna need 4Gb for gaming in Vista. Like this set, I've same set coming myself from Usa for 83e :p

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Either p35 or x38, since your buying a q6600, which is not a 45nm cpu. Could save money 2 spend elsewhere by going for a p35 which will handle a q6600 as well as an x38. That Asus maximus is one of the most expensive mobo's you can buy. Since your going for aircoooling, temperatures will decide your max overclock & any p35 or x38 mobo will do.

Well what I was thinking was the if the x38 support the new intel chip least Im future proofing the mobo. As DDR3 supposedly wont take off for a while seeing as v expensive and some issues with it + with Intel pissing all over AMD at the moment the new 45nm chips will prob be the last intel chips released for a while seeing as there is little to no competition

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Get 2x2Gb Pc2 8000 or pc2 8500, Mobo's handle 2 sticks better than 4 & your gonna need 4Gb for gaming in Vista. Like this set, I've same set coming myself from Usa for 83e :p

Cool, might see if I can swap the RAM then for 2 x 2GBs and go from there.

Well what I was thinking was the if the x38 support the new intel chip least Im future proofing the mobo.

Not really, by the time you get round to buying a 45nm cpu there will be newer better mobo's. There will always be newer better mobo's. :D

IMO there is no such thing as futureproof, just get the best value for money at the time. I had an Abit Aw9d Max (still have), great Core2Duo mobo, bought it cos it supported quads in future, it did, but when i got a quad i ended up having to change mobo anyways as it had probs handling the quad & the newer mobo's out (p35) were better........lesson learned :D

• Advertisement

Lads one last question.
    Anyone have or had orknow anyone with a
    Thermaltake VA9003BWS Kandalf Full Tower and is happy with it.

This PC is going to sit under my desk which is right beside my bed. My PC is never off and well I wanted something that is quiet enough. I dont need it to be silent or anything but at least a sturdy silent build, there all 120cm + fans so noice level should be low enough, so whats it like at dampening out CPU,GPU and PSU cooler

I find my Armour rather noisy & cable management is not the best. Great airflow & temps tho. The fans that come with thermaltake cases all have just a molex connector, no 3 pin jobbie, so in order to fan control them you gotta change the fans like i did.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

In same boat as yerself. I've ordered a Q6600 but I've no mobo, memory or cooling just yet.

The P35 chipset does support the new 45nm Penryn and current 65nm CPUs. Although any unforseen future problems with them are... unforseen. I'm looking at getting the Abit IP35 Pro mobo. It's not the most popular. A lot of people seem to go for the Gygabyte P35 boards. But the IP35 Pro gets a lot of reviewer recommendations.

I'm looking at the BigTyp 120 for cooling. It's supposed to be easy to setup. For some reason I'm nervous when it comes to cooling solutions so I'm still researching really.

For silence, I've ordered the Antec P182 in black.
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/article741-page1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

OP, as matter of interest when you say your previous machine went 'Poof' what do you mean? Smoke/fire? surge? fell apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

colm_c wrote: »
    OP, as matter of interest when you say your previous machine went 'Poof' what do you mean? Smoke/fire? surge? fell apart?
    It literally vanished with a 'poof' one day! lol :D

Think he had a power surge of death IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Surely a good investment (for this rig and any new ones) would be some kind of surge protection / power backup unit (UPS), that will protect your machine from a power surge especially since you're going to be running it 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

8800GT best bang per buck.

Advertisement