Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.midway.ie irish online date

Options
  • 03-01-2008 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

just an update on www.midway.ie, i was having a natter to john greene of southern rifle and optics to-day(irelands best kept secret to rifle building) and he informed me that he will have the online shopping for www.midway.ie up and running at the start of april,
    So anything you weren't able to get before, parts,accessories really anything thats on the midway site (within sensible reason of course)will be available.
    John can be contacted on 086-3554425/051-379806.for more details.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Meath Intellectual Disability Work Advocacy and You????

wrong address?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

i wasnt aware of that,id say it'll end up as midwayireland,ill keep you informed on any changes,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The convention for other non-USA Midway sites is [noparse]"www.MidwayCountryname.com"[/noparse].
    Which would suggest that the Irish version would be something like [noparse]"www.MidwayIreland.com"[/noparse], which doesn't appear to currently exist.
    It also doesn't appear to be registered to anyone, which is something John might like to rectify as soon as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Nice one, I have seen a few things on the other midway sites but they won't ship them :rolleyes: About time we had an Irish version, hope the prices will be right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

johngalway wrote: »
    Nice one, I have seen a few things on the other midway sites but they won't ship them :rolleyes: About time we had an Irish version, hope the prices will be right :D

Have you woken up yet john or you still dreaming??:D:D

• Advertisement

There's always hope!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

johngalway wrote: »
    ...hope the prices will be right :D

Don't mean to spoil the party, but I suspect the prices will most likely not be right (at least in comparison to Midway USA).
    If my experiences of purchasing from Midway UK are anything to go by, there is a big differential in converted cost between the US and UK versions.
    As an example, a Hornady reloading die set in .45 ACP (Midway P/N: 187392) costs $37.99 (approx. €25.80) from Midway USA, versus £38.18 (approx. €51.26), which is practically double the price (ex. shipping).
    I suspect Midway Ireland's pricing will be along similar lines, if not more expensive.

I am well aware that our market size dictates that we would not benefit from the same economies of scale that US shooters enjoy, however, a doubling of prices (which I suspect will be the case), will not would not inspire me to spend my money with the local franchise.

I would be delighted if Midway Ireland's prices were reasonable, and I hope and pray that they will be, but we have a long way to go this side of the pond before we can get excited about any benefits Midway entering the market will bring.

I am not a firearms dealer, nor have I any interest in any firearms related business, I'm just a shooter/consumer who is frustrated with our over-priced market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Samson
    The north isn't too far away with the new motorway, and there are some good shops up their and all are a pleasure to deal with. I am on the look out for a new rifle and so far have got the best quotes from northern irish dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

Even with a doubling of USA cost price, if you take it that any item from USA will more than likely cost $30 in shipping(Priority Shipping) smaller items and small orders can still work out cheaper without the added risk of Customs, VAT and the like.

I regularly order stuff from the US but lately, as conveyed to me from dealers in person, Homeland Security has been visiting these dealers and warning them off about posting overseas. Most dealers (like Brownells etc) have a limit of $100 when sending firearm parts and components, I rang them once about a part that cost exactly $100 and they told me no but if it cost $99.99 that would be ok.

Rip-off Ireland raises it's head again but if the option is guarenteed then it may not be that bad if you can get basically what you want (within reason)

Here's hoping Midway Ireland can offer us a compromise with value.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Samson wrote: »
    As an example, a Hornady reloading die set in .45 ACP (Midway P/N: 187392) costs $37.99 (approx. €25.80) from Midway USA, versus £38.18 (approx. €51.26), which is practically double the price (ex. shipping).

I looked up the duty rate for dies (TARIC code 8207 20 90) and it appears to be 2.7%. Estimating the shipping cost of the item at $10 (1lb package at cheapest rate with USPS) we get the following calculation:

Initial price -> $37.99
    Add $10 for shipping from US to UK -> $47.99
    $47.99 -> £24.34
    Add duty at 2.7% -> £25.00
    Add VAT at 17.5% -> £29.38

This means their markup is £8.80 on that item, approximately 23%. This either means:
    • Their shipping costs are higher.
    • Their staff costs are high.
    • They're taking the mick and being expensive.
    Samson wrote: »
    I suspect Midway Ireland's pricing will be along similar lines, if not more expensive.

The VAT difference alone would make things at least 3% more expensive.

• Advertisement

so ordering from the US is still the cheaper option

newby.204 wrote: »
    so ordering from the US is still the cheaper option

It depends on what you're ordering and from whom. For example, if you were buying Lapua Master .22lr ammo from Midway USA you wouldn't be getting the best of deals...

To find out how much duty you need to pay on importing something go to http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/cgi-bin/tarsect?ProdLine=00&Type=&Action=1&Lang=EN&SimDate=20080104&YesNo=1&Indent=-1&Flag=1&Test=tarsect&Periodic=0&Download=0&Taric=&taric=Browse&Country=
    &Day=04&Month=01&Year=2008
    and search for the rate that applies to whatever you want to bring in.

To find out the rate of VAT that applies, go here: http://www.revenue.ie/index.htm?/services/tax_info/vatrate/vatrate.htm

The shipping cost will usually be controlled by the vendor in the US. If you get a choice, I've found USPS to be reliable and cheap.

Then to work out the cost do the following calculation:
    1. Add shipping cost.
    2. Convert from USD to EUR.
    3. Add duty at applicable rate
    4. Add VAT on top of this.

I didn't think Midway shipped outside of the particular country they operated in? I'm open to correction on that now as it was some time ago I looked them up and it may have just been on a specific item.

Don't know if they do or not, but there's always re-mailers and friends/relatives to take into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Samson
    The north isn't too far away with the new motorway, and there are some good shops up their and all are a pleasure to deal with. I am on the look out for a new rifle and so far have got the best quotes from northern irish dealers.

second that- a mate bought a new rifle straight from a northern dealer-300 euro less than down in the stateicon5.gif

can someone more educated than me please tell me what the duty and vat on a rifle from the us would be price is 3,250.00 USD = 2,209.37 EUR

can someone more educated than me please tell me what the duty and vat on a rifle from the us would be price is 3,250.00 USD = 2,209.37 EUR

Do you know how much the postage is?

Duty on rifles from the USA is 3.2%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerri

VAT =21% so 2673.34 plus duty

nope havnt a clue what the postage is!!

just an update on midway coming to ireland,john is recieving an order of midway catalogs in the next 4-5weeks and is setting up a mailing list for those looking to order stuff(i still have no word on the online set up yet).
    so to get one of these catalogs send €3 in an envlope with your "printed" name and address,
    from then on midway will forward you an updated catalog,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

For life?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

.243 wrote: »
    just an update on midway coming to ireland,john is recieving an order of midway catalogs in the next 4-5weeks and is setting up a mailing list for those looking to order stuff(i still have no word on the online set up yet).
    so to get one of these catalogs send €3 in an envlope with your "printed" name and address,
    from then on midway will forward you an updated catalog,

Great news !

Where/to whom do we send the envelope ?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bigred

Great news !

+1 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sorry,but just to be a pain in the arse here.But why would you pay 3 euros for somthing you can get online for free??The websites has all the stuff you need on them???:confused:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Cos it's hard to take the Website to bed and read it. :p:p:p

Laptop??:p:p:p:p:p:p

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Great news !

john greene
    southern rifle and optics
    main st
    kilmacow
    co.killkenny.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sorry,but just to be a pain in the arse here.But why would you pay 3 euros for somthing you can get online for free??The websites has all the stuff you need on them???:confused:

not everyone has a laptop to bring to bed (let alone a desktop)with them plus the fact that by the time you have actually gone through the whole website you would have wasted more than €3 on your internet connection,and how many shooting mags cost more than €3

Would you not be better off then just printing it off then if you are still on dialup?
    and how many shooting mags cost more than €3
    [/QUOTE]
    Irish Shooters Digest..3.75 Euros
    Sporting Gun £3.75 STG 5 euros somthing?

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would you not be better off then just printing it off then if you are still on dialup?
    Irish Shooters Digest..3.75 Euros
    Sporting Gun £3.75 STG 5 euros somthing?[/QUOTE]

i personally wouldnt like to print off something thats about half the size of the argos catalog plus for anyone who hasnt internet at home it costs about €3 an hour in a cafe.

more read for your normal few euro than what you woul pay for in those mags
    plus that if you actually go and buy something off them they will send you an updated catalog

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement