Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

www.midway.ie irish online date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

clivej wrote: »
    they will not deliver out of the UK but the answer is to get it sent to someone who will then send it on to you.

Exactly Clive so it still shouldn't matter to them about a midway ireland site because the rules with midway say they can't export to ireland therefore they could not be seen to have an issue with an irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

foxhunter wrote: »
    Exactly Clive so it still shouldn't matter to them about a midway ireland site because the rules with midway say they can't export to ireland therefore they could not be seen to have an issue with an irish site.

AFAIK all the Midway stores will not ship out of their own country's.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

.243 wrote: »
    just an update on www.midway.ie, i was having a natter to john greene of southern rifle and optics to-day(irelands best kept secret to rifle building) and he informed me that he will have the online shopping for www.midway.ie up and running at the start of april,
    So anything you weren't able to get before, parts,accessories really anything thats on the midway site (within sensible reason of course)will be available.
    John can be contacted on 086-3554425/051-379806.for more details.
    anyone heard any thing on this:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Ya, Ive forgotten all about this, wasnt he supposed to have Midway.ie brochures at the Irish game fair in Birr this year, I missed it, did anyone manage to get the brochure from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭xesse

i would expect it to be more like
    USA to Ireland

2.7% on the value of the good (plus shipping charges)
    21% VAT on the total
    37.99+10 = $47.99= 34.40 euro
    add duty 2.7%=35.33euro
    add vat21%=42.75euro

USA to UK £29.38 = 33.18euro
    difference =9.57 euro

if you did the calculation with a 17.5% vat rate it would be only 1 euro extra to ship to ireland ...... i think??
    IRLConor wrote: »
    I looked up the duty rate for dies (TARIC code 8207 20 90) and it appears to be 2.7%. Estimating the shipping cost of the item at $10 (1lb package at cheapest rate with USPS) we get the following calculation:

Initial price -> $37.99
    Add $10 for shipping from US to UK -> $47.99
    $47.99 -> £24.34
    Add duty at 2.7% -> £25.00
    Add VAT at 17.5% -> £29.38

This means their markup is £8.80 on that item, approximately 23%. This either means:
    • Their shipping costs are higher.
    • Their staff costs are high.
    • They're taking the mick and being expensive.

The VAT difference alone would make things at least 3% more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

Sounds more like a retailer-retailer arrangement than wholesale-retailer to me,agree re prices- crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Any news or is it dead in the wate??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Any news or is it dead in the wate??

I've read somewhere that midwayireland.ie MIGHT me up and running by the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

vixdname wrote: »
    I've read somewhere that midwayireland.ie MIGHT me up and running by the end of the year

I heard that 3 years ago from the main man himself. :rolleyes: It's always next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

clivej wrote: »
    I heard that 3 years ago from the main man himself. :rolleyes: It's always next month.
    midway.ie is currently registered to: Meath Intellectual Disability Work Advocacy You Ltd.

So it's not very likely that if it does start, it will be using that domain.

• Advertisement

Thanks RRPC Its alright I have given up all hope, :(
    Tannyoky in Poyntzpass has a good selection of accessories or so I hear and will pay him a visit for a look see.

also rude fat dog are very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

rrpc wrote: »
    midway.ie is currently registered to: Meath Intellectual Disability Work Advocacy You Ltd.

So it's not very likely that if it does start, it will be using that domain.

It will be MIDWAYIRELAND.IE if it ever gets going - But I doubt it ever will

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

So what accessories or equipment do you want that only this place can sell that you cant get anywhere else?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

vixdname wrote: »
    It will be MIDWAYIRELAND.IE if it ever gets going - But I doubt it ever will

In fairness, setting up an online retail website takes a long time if it isn't your primary business. Even just setting up the payment handling is a major pain in the arse. Throw in the contract/paperwork for setting up a franchise and you're looking at a month or two full time work to get it up and running.

If it hasn't been set up already it's probably because the people involved don't have the time or have more profitable uses of their time elsewhere.

In fairness, setting up an online retail website takes a long time if it isn't your primary business. Even just setting up the payment handling is a major pain in the arse. Throw in the contract/paperwork for setting up a franchise and you're looking at a month or two full time work to get it up and running.

If it hasn't been set up already it's probably because the people involved don't have the time or have more profitable uses of their time elsewhere.
    I can (in fact I have) set one up in under a week. Payment handling by PayPal. :D

And before anyone says it, PayPal do charge, but are still very competitive compared to the so-called mainstream payment methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

thats all well and good, giving him a few months to set up, but 2 years is a bit much, i doubt this will happen in the next 2-3 years

I can (in fact I have) set one up in under a week. Payment handling by PayPal. :D

And before anyone says it, PayPal do charge, but are still very competitive compared to the so-called mainstream payment methods.

There's only so far you can go with Paypal. The number one problem for Paypal in Ireland is lack of Laser support. To support Laser you need someone like Realex, which typically means getting a merchant account with a bank which can be an almighty pain. I know at least one company that spent ~6 months trying to persuade their bank to give them a merchant account before giving up in favour of a different approach.

That said, simple payment with Paypal would probably be the first step. I suspect that the stock/supply issues and franchise agreement would be bigger stumbling blocks.

There's only so far you can go with Paypal. The number one problem for Paypal in Ireland is lack of Laser support. To support Laser you need someone like Realex, which typically means getting a merchant account with a bank which can be an almighty pain. I know at least one company that spent ~6 months trying to persuade their bank to give them a merchant account before giving up in favour of a different approach.

That said, simple payment with Paypal would probably be the first step. I suspect that the stock/supply issues and franchise agreement would be bigger stumbling blocks.
    It's not a major problem though and you can work around it with cheque postage etc. if people won't use a credit card or PayPal (which is a bank account in itself remember - you can pay into it if you want and carry a balance). There's no significant problem in having such a site up and selling within a week, that a bit of hard work wouldn't solve ;)

jap gt wrote: »
    thats all well and good, giving him a few months to set up, but 2 years is a bit much, i doubt this will happen in the next 2-3 years

It would be a month or two full time. Setup times on the order of 6-12 months would be reasonable for a part-time effort for a busy person if it was profitable for them to pursue it.

If it's not profitable for them to pursue it, or if it's annoying to do for very little gain, well, then it's not going to happen any time soon.

If there was a lot of money in it, someone would have done it a long, long time ago.

It would be a month or two full time. Setup times on the order of 6-12 months would be reasonable for a part-time effort for a busy person if it was profitable for them to pursue it.
    Setting up a web shop is not like opening a shopfront on a street. The first priority is stuff you have in stock, and you then add stuff as time allows and stock comes in. The point is you can start selling as soon as you have a few dozen products up and every time people come back there's more, which adds to the interest and keeps the site ticking over.

Given a week, full time, I could have hundreds of products up on a web site. It's boring but it's easily achievable.

• Advertisement

Setting up a web shop is not like opening a shopfront on a street. The first priority is stuff you have in stock, and you then add stuff as time allows and stock comes in. The point is you can start selling as soon as you have a few dozen products up and every time people come back there's more, which adds to the interest and keeps the site ticking over.

Given a week, full time, I could have hundreds of products up on a web site. It's boring but it's easily achievable.

Sure, but I presume that if you were using the Midway brand you'd have to carry a non-trivial amount of their catalogue?

Sure, but I presume that if you were using the Midway brand you'd have to carry a non-trivial amount of their catalogue?
    That's a different issue though. You're gettiing into the realms of venture capital to fund that sort of stock level.

I'd suspect that starting off, they'd allow you test the market and see what products sell well here first.

In any case, I don't believe in that kind of franchise operation. It's a recipe for someone else to reap your profits. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Yes with just over a population of 5 million and the amount of web users very very low in Ireland not to mention Irish online shoppers also very low what is your point unless you sell out of the country?

fodda wrote: »
    Yes with just over a population of 5 million and the amount of web users very very low in Ireland not to mention Irish online shoppers also very low what is your point unless you sell out of the country?
    Exactly, and with a franchise owner breathing down your neck at every hands turn, you'd be in a home for the bewildered in no time. ;)

It's no coincidence that most firearms dealers have other businesses as well. I can count a pub, chemist, grocery etc. in some of the ones I know and that's not including the inevitable fishing, outdoors etc. stock that a vast proportion of the others carry.

fodda wrote: »
    So what accessories or equipment do you want that only this place can sell that you cant get anywhere else?

hi fodda

I have a Ruger 10/22 shotgun :rolleyes:that i am playing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IrishArmy1

So is there any news on this, the Irish version of Midway starting anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

No news so far ,Its a long time coming on line :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 IrishArmy1

Yeah there have been rumors for a while now.

I am doing up a 10/22 and it would be handy to order parts from an Irish site.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

I know its a great site and it could only be good for the irish shooting community to see it coming to ireland , There is some great upgrades for the 10/22 on it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

there has been so many rumours floating around for so long about this i've given up hope, i won't believe it till i see it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement