Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord wants "booking deposit", how can I be sure its ok??

Options
  • 03-01-2008 7:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I went to view a flat yesterday, it was 800per month. I told the landlord that I would need to think it over for a day and get back to him tomorrow to let him know if I wanted it. I have to pay 1600 before I move in, 800 deposit and 800 rent.
    But, the thing that I'm unsure of, is he said he needed me to give him a "booking deposit" of 300, if I wanted him to hold the flat for me, and i could pay the remaining 1500 when I was moving in.
    Is this the normal way of doing things?? Cause last time I just paid the whole lot when i was moving in, I didnt have to pay a booking deposit just so he wouldnt rent it to someone else before i had the money to move in.

Like, is there anyway I can be sure that I'm not being ripped off when handing over this booking deposit??

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I wouldn't pay a booking deposit - if you decide you don't go ahead, you may not see it back. It is not the normal practice anyway with rental accommodation.

Booking deposits only feature when you are buying a property and even then, the sole reason for them is so that Auctioneers can take their fees out of it. They have no legal effect per se.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd have to agree with Maximilian- it is a bit odd. Its quite common when you're buying property, but almost unheard of when renting. If you're not sure about the property- walk away. If you want it- pay your deposit and first months rent. I wouldn't think there is anything untoward with what the landlord is doing- but you might have a problem getting your money back if you decided not to proceed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Only pay a booking deposit if you want the property. It is common for people to turn up at a viewing and say they want to take the property, only to leave and not come back. The landlord who holds a property whilst waiting for a tenant to come back can be at the loss of rent and advertising costs if the tenant disappears. A booking deposit is simply security against this happening. A well prepared accommodation-hunter usually does their research in advance and knows immediately if a property is suitable and has at least some cash available on the spot to secure the property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 someuser90

you mean the remaining 1300?

i wouldn't pay it

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

someuser90 wrote: »
    you mean the remaining 1300?
    Where are you getting 1300?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

1600-300 = 1300 he was correcting the OP's math and then making another statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

it sounds dodgy but if you are keen maybe you could give a postdated cheque so that you'd have time to cancel it if it did turn out to be bogus. Not sure if they're even allowed anymore though

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, be aware there are people out there to scam you.

Cross that cheque.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

we recently moved house, which i saw first and then went to visit with my wife who liked it too and he asked us for a booking deposit. I wasn't thrilled by the idea but having lost a house just a few days before to someone else being first in line, we decided to pay it, but not after i researched him, his company (it was a letting management company) etc... Once i was satisfied that he was legit, we paid it, but i was very nervous until we actually signed the contract.

all this to say, they are normal with a lot of agents/landlords, but they can be nerveracking

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Its probably safe to give a booking deposit to an Agent provided its subject to lease and they confirm its refundable. Make sure you get a written receipt though.

The problem is here that as Victor mentioned, there are scammers out there. The landlord may not actaully be the landlord and owner of the property at all. This kind of scam has happened. I recall reading about it in the Times not too long ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

There was a case in Portobello. Think he got a month's deposit off a bunch of couples in one day. Then legged it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭peteburnshndbag

jdivision wrote: »
    There was a case in Portobello. Think he got a month's deposit off a bunch of couples in one day. Then legged it

Is there any way you can make sure he is the owner of the property though, and that the owners are not just on holiday??
    Is it better if he is from a Letting Agency??

Advertisement