Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the correct amount to charge for childminding

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

+1, you do not need a work permit to be a Childminder either. As I see it your options are:

a) sit down with the parent concerned, say I have been doing my research, I need x per hour, I need 24 hour notice of cancellation, please sign this contract (pm me for sample contract)

b) lose this parent, professionalise yourself, do a free childminding course and a free paedriatic first aid course, get garda vetting, register with Revenue and start looking for parents who will treat you decently.

c) carry on with the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭sfmonet

Deisemum and SaraMc, some very valid points. Has definitely got me looking at this from some other angles!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I know the Waterford Childcare Committees help childminders who wish to become notified childminders by paying their first year's membership of Childminding Ireland.

The CCC's help with courses, some free others subsidised and will help childminders access the €630 childminders grant to help them get toys, equipment etc.

I'd strongly encourage you to make sure you're insured if you aren't already. Childminding Ireland have a very good group scheme that's specific for childminders.

In Waterford the CCCs organise outings and events for childminders and their mindees plus regular network nights for the childminders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I think that what goes around comes around. Just to let you know what the bonus was-I gave the minder 250 on 21st Dec made up of payment fot that week's minding €130 and the rest as a bonus. I gave her a bottle of wine and had a present for her six year old. She had a present for my little one too. As I said before I regard the money she gets as her income and since I am paid for Christmas week then she should be too. I don't think you would get away without paying in a creche though I've never used a creche so I can't be certain. I think it's up to people to set ground rules on both sides at the beginning but I do know when there are kids involved it's mighty hard to get down to the subject of money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

sfomet - I agree with your partner when he says chalk it up to experience and take on another child and set a few rules before you start. You are minding for income not just the fun of it and a bit of pocket money, though you do say the little fellow is a lovely child. That mother should be very happy that her little boy is so well looked after. I bet he gets more attention than in a creche. I think I read on the thread that someone mentioned Childminding Ireland. I know I have looked at their website for some good info.

• Advertisement
Advertisement