Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon - cheaper alternatives

• 03-01-2008 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I recently had some v nice salmon for my tea and thought i might go out and buy some at the local supermarket....but couldn't as it was v expensive !

so i might go along to a fish market sometime instead to find out what similar types of fish tastewise there are and that aren't as expensive, anyone any ideas before i go along....?

(i'm a fish novice, all I've eaten are trout, kippers and salmon)

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Well personally if I can't get salmon I'll get some trout, rainbow or sea for preference, they tend to be a bit cheaper and are also a pink fish as opposed to a white fish like cod.

What cut of salmon were you trying to buy? Was it farmed or wild? These things can all affect the price. In my local supermarket a salmon cutlet is cheaper than a fillet or darne.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭snapplejacks

thanks but you've went a bit technical on me there :o

all i seen was the price and then it wasnt too long being set back down again! i remember also eating pollock (its white?) but its v hard to find now. any white fish i could try also, something with good flavour

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just try a piece of whatever's on special offer the day you go down. You might find something you really like or at least learn what to avoid next time!
    I've no idea what fish costs in Ireland, but if you're looking for nice, flavoursome fish as opposed to bland and white, tuna, red snapper, sea-bass, swordfish and trout are all worth a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Is there a fishmonger near you? You'll find that they will have a much better selection than the supermarket and will cost a lot less. They will be able to advise you on what's in season (and therefore cheaper) or alternatives and the best way to cook it. I used to be afraid of cooking fish becuase I never knew what to look for first off, and then how to prepare it, but my fishmonger takes off the skin, bones, everything so all I need to do is take it home and cook it.

Advertisement