Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning: MyMiniCity spam

Options
  • 03-01-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭

I was fairly suprised to see posts in AH about MyMiniCity just there. These guys have been spamming the hell out of every forum I frequent for the last few weeks, in some sort of a massive viral marketing campaign, but I was taken aback to see that they had located our beloved boards as well. Spam ahoy.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ah, every new fad tries to use boards to get their fad even faddier. Afaiu the game needs people to get other people to get other people in on it so that they can get high scores/stronger cities, not much of a game if you are dependent on gaining more users to succeed imo.

If anyone is spamming their mmc links then report the posts and we'll have a look at them. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

this game is based on spam. I'd add myminicity to the swear filter just so they can't post their url.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

this game is based on spam. I'd add myminicity to the swear filter just so they can't post their url.
    I'd have to agree with that. Its popping up in widely diverse (non Irish) forums all over the place, as well as boards, and the end result is always the same, banned and filtered.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Well, there is a thread on the AH subforum - CoolVids and Pics/Links that has a current thread with people's mmc links. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm for now, but I'll make it a vendetta to ban anyone that abuses the system outside of that thread. If that helps.

It doesn't seem to be a problem yet.

It may not be a game that I agree with in principle (due to the clicks for points aspect) but many people on boards seem to enjoy it and haven't spammed boards in the past with their links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I'd have to agree with that. Its popping up in widely diverse (non Irish) forums all over the place, as well as boards, and the end result is always the same, banned and filtered.

Another one here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211160

I can see this becoming an issue very quickly.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

jhegarty wrote: »
    Another one here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055211160

I can see this becoming an issue very quickly.....
    I've deleted that thread.

If people want to discuss that site and how it works, fine. But they had better not link to their own referrals. Its a charter breach, and the thread will be deleted. If it keeps up, bans may start coming.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If people insist on spamming this crap on a load of forums, could they not just stick it in their sig. That way it gets spammed on a load of threads and forums but at least people don't have to look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Gordon wrote: »
    It doesn't seem to be a problem yet.

People were spamming it in AH (I've handed out a ban or two for this & deleted posts). One user (See Spammer sticky in Moderators. Sitebanned by Beru.) had a link to in the main post (making it look like an image) to get referrals that way. Otherwise, people have the spammy link in their signature. It's not making the users a real profit. I see little harm. The thread was left in the sub-forum to contain the crap - not to encourage it.
    I'd suggest people filter it and use AdBlock (Or browser equivalent)

Advertisement