Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.5 and .243 bullet choice.

Options
  • 03-01-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Can anyone who shoots these two rounds tell me what their favourite load is in their gun and how much its running at cost wise.
    I'm trying to make a decision on one but am clueless.The .243 is available in varmint weight bullets for targeting charlie but the 6.5 can go up to 160 grainers for the bigger deer.I'm trying to get a round that will do It all.
    The cheapest i see .243 for is 58 grainer balistic tips at 28 euro.Good hunting ammo in the 80-100 grain weight range seems to go for 39ish euro's .

On the other-hand i hear 6.5 lapua match 139 grainers are selling at 30 euro's in some place's.That's fairly good for high quality match ammo.I'd assume premium ammo run's at around the same price roughly?Plus anyone see wolf ammo for the 6.5 anywhere?

Any info on what you favor would be great
    Remmy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Im using 243 for fox and deer -fox is 58 grain v max at 19.00 stg a box
    and deer is 100 grain hornady interlock at 15.50 stg a box, i also shoot sierra 85 grain hp boattails at 22.50 stg a box.

The 58 grain v max is a great fox round and grey crows vaporise when hit
    with them....the 85 grain sierras are really good on deer so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

best price i could get are detailed below:
    Sako 90 gr €115/100

Federal 80 gr € 23
    100 gr €23 €110/100

Hornady 95 gr sst €135/100

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

using noslers 140grain in swedish for 37.00 for box of 20

good all rounder and good stopping power even for the big boys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

as ive always said "bigger aint always better"i started with a .243 10years ago as my first centrefire and never needed to change and i have tried all the other rounds (under and over this calibre).This is where me and bob lee would argue this till the cows come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Norma 120gr ballistic tip 6.5, ridiculously priced but THE best bullet i have ever fired, kick ass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭bogteal

Lapua 139 in my 6.5 for deer never let me down, for fox i use my hornet, it all depends what type of deer you shoot and where. If you can get to 100m or so of them a 243 should do the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 bob lee swagger

.243 wrote: »
    as ive always said "bigger aint always better"i started with a .243 10years ago as my first centrefire and never needed to change and i have tried all the other rounds (under and over this calibre).This is where me and bob lee would argue this till the cows come home.

shur its like a car, you like fine tuning I like raw power!

now i think of it Federal soft point 140grain are quite good too for cheaper round

Advertisement