Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about proper clothing.

Options
  • 03-01-2008 8:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hello ,I'm not a cyclist as such ,it's just a resolution for the new year.
    I need advice on the best way to wrap up when cycling. I sweat very easy and I'm looking to see whats the best way to keep warm when this happens.

I was thinking along the lines of three layers ,but I'm not sure. I have to watch because I had pneumonia before christmas and I don't want it again:(

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Hi Brian,
    I sweat a lot too so I can give some advice. Three layers usually work very well. I have a base thermal layer that keeps the body warm and moves the sweat away from the body and into the next layer. I bought a Pearl Izumi base layer for 35 Euro at Cycleways - they still have some in stock, I was there today - but found that to be no better than the base layer I picked up at Lidl a few months ago for 9.99.
    I vary the second layer according to how cold/windy it is. I can go with a Windbiotex top which has a thicker front to keep the wind out on very windy days, a summer cycling jersey on mild days and an autumn material jersey on colder days. You could probably even do with non-cycling specific clothes for this layer.
    For the top layer it is important to have a wind-proof winter jacket that is warm and water-proof. Some people prefer a fourth water-proof layer on top but I usually find that too warm.
    My overall advice is - do invest in some decent cycling clothes particularly for the base layer and the jacket. For the base layer, keep an eye out on the Lidl/Aldi sales. Their base layers aren't too shabby. For a jacket you could get a decent one for under 100 Euro easily especially if there are any post-Xmas price drops. Since you are just starting out, I wouldn't recommend the super-expensive (and super-good) stuff like Assos. I would also recommend http://www.probikekit.com and http://www.chainreactioncycles.com as places to get decent stuff for cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

_Brian_ wrote: »
    I sweat very easy and I'm looking to see whats the best way to keep warm when this happens.

Whatever you end up wearing, do not wear cotton next to the skin, it is the worst thing to wear when doing any sports as it doesn't dry easily and will make you freeze if you start sweating in the cold weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Thanks garo ,pretty much spot on what I wanted to know:)

I don't mind paying for stuff ,if it's going to the job.So I'll probably head into cycleways or maybe cyclesuperstore ?

Appreciate the advice ,it will definetly save me another trip to the doctor.

Raam wrote: »
    Whatever you end up wearing, do not wear cotton next to the skin, it is the worst thing to wear when doing any sports as it doesn't dry easily and will make you freeze if you start sweating in the cold weather.

Thats what I use to do ,frightening how cold it got sometimes:(
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Cheers for that, that is the mistake I am currently making. I must get a proper sports top.

• Advertisement

Yeah, cyclesuperstore isn't too bad either. I just looked online and their online selection is somewhat limited. If money is no object go with Assos.

garo wrote: »
    Yeah, cyclesuperstore isn't too bad either. I just looked online and their online selection is somewhat limited. If money is no object go with Assos.

I shouldn't have to spend too much ,I don't think I'll hold on for a lidl bargain though. 35euro isn't too bad for the base layer . I'll keep my eye out for the ones in Lidl/aldi,I've seen the ones your talking about in the adds.

Would the altura night vision do as the top layer ,or is it too warm ? The assos sounds like it's for skinny people. I'm one of the round type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I wear an Underarmour (warm) long sleeve top as my base layer, it absorbes any moisture away from the body and keeps you warm but not too warm and over it I just wear an Altura jacket (nightvision). I also sweat a lot and even this morning at -3c I was warm and comfortable.

There's another thread on this forum discussing Cycling jackets.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115737

I don't have any personal experience but I believe the Altura Night Vision got positive reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Was out yesterday up high in the freezing snow for 2 plus hours and all apart from my toes were warm. (strangely enough my toes only got cold when i was putting effort in going uphill!!!!!).anyway this is what I wore.

Nike long sleeved clima cool top (the one that wicks sweat away from the skin)
    A long sleeved jersey.
    A weatherproof/shower resistant jacket.
    A rain proof outer jacket.
    An lidl thermal hat under me crash hat.
    A pair of normal shorts
    A pair of Lusso repel tights
    Thick wolly socks
    and a pair of windproof overshoes.

Oh yeah and a pair of glasses.

Gotta say I love cycling in the snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Wool is tip-top.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

bcmf wrote: »
    (strangely enough my toes only got cold when i was putting effort in going uphill!!!!!)

Yeah, I get the numb toes as well. I think it's caused by the reduced blood flow to the toes when pressing hard on the pedals. I don't know of any way of avoiding this but maybe somebody knows..?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The Altura Night Vision _is_ quite warm, but then it's cold at the moment. I don't think it's terribly breathable. I generally just go two layers- jersey and jacket. Are there benefits to more layers of perhaps lower weight materials- does this help wicking sweat away?

Hows this ?,
    Base layer http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=3094
    Middle layer http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=17808
    Jacket http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?modelID=11931

I know the middle layer looks heavy ,but I might get away with a Tshirt instead ,if it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Wiggle (www.wiggle.co.uk) also do a fairly decent range of layers and deliver foc to Ireland if you spend > 75euro.

I have some dhb stuff that seems to keep me snug. The benefit of dhb clothing is that it helps cover us "larger" cyclists :)

This might also help; http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I know the middle layer looks heavy ,but I might get away with a Tshirt instead ,if it is.

I know I've said it already, but make sure that t-shirt isn't cotton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I shouldn't have to spend too much ,I don't think I'll hold on for a lidl bargain though. 35euro isn't too bad for the base layer . I'll keep my eye out for the ones in Lidl/aldi,I've seen the ones your talking about in the adds.

Have a look in some of the camping/outdoor shops too. I have bought a lot of stuff in Patagonia (Wicklow Street, Dublin) and their sales can be good value. They had a sale on last week, which might still be on, but even outside of the sales their "seconds" bin can be worth checking.

For commuting I wear a base layer (varies from a short-sleeved synthetic thermal top to a long-sleeved and long-necked merino wool top - one of the latter I got in Patagonia, and although the sizing is bigger than I'd like it works well), a fleece, and a windproof and waterproof outer layer (a heavier one for colder days, lighter one the rest of the time that I can pack away if I get too warm). If I head out for a spin on my road bike, I wear specific cycling clothing, but the base layer is usually one of the ones I use for commuting.

A decent pair of gloves is important too 'cos if your hands get cold you'll start to feel it elsewhere too. There are a lot of options to choose from, but I'd start with something windproof at least. I have used some of the Altura ones, and have found them to be good, but for the very cold days layers of gloves is probably best.

Also, for commuting, a pair of waterproof trousers would be important given our climate - on a very cold dry day the windproof-ing benefit of this extra layer on your legs helps a lot too for warmth.

I have yet to try a hat under my helmet, but people that I know that use them swear by them on the very cold days. I have used an ear-warming fleech band in the past though, which lies just below the edge of my helmet, and this worked well in the cold. If you suffer badly from the cold, then one of the cycling balaclavas may be worth considering.

++ for gloves and cap/band.

Also, if you are going to wear shorts make sure you have tights/leg warmers.

I feel a bit iffy about your middle layer. It looks very wide if you know what I mean. Too loose to be a effective cycling gear. Why not try something like this:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16429 You can get it for cheaper here: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c1254

I've got this as a base layer as well: http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=c9787

Advertisement