Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St.Bernard Puppy

Options
  • 03-01-2008 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi i recently got a gorgeous new st.bernard puppy. She is sooo cute,shes only 9weeks today but I am in the middle of tiolet training,she is doing ok actually but I was just wondering when I can start sending her to obedience classes. I think the sooner the better but dont know whats the best age 2 send them.should i leave her until she is over 12 weeks or could I send her now. Im just thinking she is going to be a huge dog so it will be harder to transport her to the classes.
    Any ideas welcome, Thank You.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Annika30

You need to wait til she had her final vaccination before you attend training classes.
    She's lovely!
    Annika

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Pheonix Ski

lovely face but annikas right,she must be fully vac before you bring her anywere near other dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Training starts small and at home anyway.

Watch her as she tumbles around the place and "name" the things she does all by herself. She will sit, lie down, come here (not so much stay:D) several times during the day. Watch her and say the words while she does it, praise her for doing so while shes' doing it.

This is the easist and most natural way for her to learn the meaning of "sit", "down" and "here" ...and when she finally gets to go to doggy classes she'll already know what you're talking about and you can work on the finer points of how to do it without having to yell or pull at the lead or push her back down :rolleyes:

That you start learning on how to "read" your dog is a positive side-effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

aww, she's a little cutie hehe.
    agree with peasant, try and get the basics done yourself first so you can start more complex stuff at the training classes. why waste money on stuff you can do yourself anyway! I imagine lead training will be pretty important as well considering how big she is going to get :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Please don't overdo it. A St Bernard is a giant breed and you need to be careful not to give her too much exercise ie jumping, climbing stairs etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sophiekc

oh she is gorgeous, well jealous!

looks like you got the advice you were looking for already, saint bernard's are so clever and will easily pick up on any training they are given.

do you know a breeder, i am looking to get one in march-april and have not yet heard of any litters that will be available that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hel_hev

cute ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭lisajane

She is sooooo cute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 aislingkelly

Hi I do know a breeder,where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Another thing, it might be just as well not to let her on the sofa, even when small, unless you really want to be sharing the sofa later on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

UB wrote: »
    Another thing, it might be just as well not to let her on the sofa, even when small, unless you really want to be sharing the sofa later on!

:eek:

Advertisement