Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone host with Register365? Opinions?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I currently host with Blacknight. I've been extremely happy with every aspect of their products and service, would definitely recommend them to anyone. Michele and the team have been incredibly helpful and I really like who the whole package works, features like the "Installatron" are a godsend.

However, I am now at the max amount of allowed domains, websites, SQL databases and webspace, and unfortunately I think its too expensive to upgrade to the bigger package for just a little extra.

For only about €50 per year, I can get the "Business Linux Hosting package from Register365: http://www.register365.com/products/unix/business
    5gb storage (I only have 1gb with Blacknight), Unlimited MySQL databases, 25 Websites, Loads of other stuff.

I'm just wondering if there are any drawbacks? I believe they don't quote have as good a system as the Installatron. I'll be installing PHPBBv3, Joomla, Wordpress.

Are there any restrictions I should know about? I know with Nlacknight, if I want to email my registed users, I can't cause they have a max of 40 mails hard coded into the system. Anything like that with R365?

Any other comments?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Dont want to sway any comments, but just on the technical questions, we do have a tool called 'EasyApps' which is comparable to installatron but, to be very honest, is a bit pants at the moment. We're looking to install a new version in the next 4 weeks, which supports and maintains a much wider range of scripts. (you can of course install wordpress, phpBB3 and Joomla on our space without issue - we're there 24/7 to help)

Otherwise, we don't have email sending limits (other than you can't send mails larger than about 8Mb and if you want to send 'thousands' of mails, you should probably tell us in advance to prevent us automatically suspending the account for spamming)

HTH, Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I like their network - very reliable.

Their accounts department are bad. Their support is prompt (you can always access them, and they will ring you in a few minutes when they say "in a few minutes") but sometimes they give the wrong advice. I find their Polish guys (apologies if they are not Polish) to be very helpful. Their sales guys are really bad. I've consistently had problems getting their sales team to do what I ask them to do.

But once things are up and running, everything is smooth.

Overall I recommend them, but really keep on top of what the sales people say they are going to do, and check and double check what their accounts people say they are going to do.

Note: I've been with H365 for about three years. I have a dedicated server.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

(you can of course install wordpress, phpBB3 and Joomla on our space without issue - we're there 24/7 to help)

I was swayed by the package so I signed up from my regular host to try them out, not going that well so far, Joomla installs perfectly with my current host but when I do the exact same with 365 its constantly getting getting permissions denied, won't let me delete files issues with ftp just getting frustrated now:(

And the support are fine if its a simple question but if its hard question your left hanging for 1/2 an hour and I've been given incorrect information.

I'll try for another month then I'm off if all the problems persist.

Hi Bingo, feel free to PM or email me if you'd like me to assist directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 theganster

I got a few permissions problems etc with Joomla but the staff always sorted it out pretty quick. Joomla can be a pain like that sometimes.

Actually, what control panel do R365 use? I was trying to upload a file today through cPanel and was annoyed that there was a 10mb file size limit. What do you use and is there a limit? I like to upload certain big files for storate, but they take ages on my line at home, and in work I cannot us ftp. Will this be a problem for me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you have questions for the hosts, please direct them to the hosts support sites. Thanks.

The big problem with HTTP uploads is the fact that it's http - ie: it can suffer from timeouts as it's not really designed to upload large files. We don't have a limit withour web based file manager, and the tool also supported wget'ing files directly from other servers online. (we use Hpshere from www.psoft.net)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

If you have questions for the hosts, please direct them to the hosts support sites. Thanks.
    Yeah the web masters forum has turned into the web hosting forum lately.

we do have a tool called 'EasyApps' which is comparable to installatron
    Can I see an example or how it works? Or the apps homepage?

Steve, although I do like your site etc, I do think you should include a little bit more detail on the features included in the hosting packages. Blacknight go into more detail and I think that's one of the things that made me go with them in the first place.

Sorry ok will do

• Advertisement

More details and links here http://www.psoft.net/HSdocumentation/easyapp/index.php?v=ls

Thanks for the feedback - we do have ajax style tabs which reveal to give more information, we'l look at making it more informative and user friendly.

PS: Sorry Aidan - won't answer any more dirct stuff - pls PM me if anyone has a question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I think there are quite a few "Blacknight or Register365" threads out there...
    I wouldn't be swayed by price alone, but also by the webhosts packages and customer support.
    Are there any restrictions I should know about?

Register365 have quotas on how much of that 5gb diskspace can be used for email accounts and MySQL databases.
    features like the "Installatron" are a godsend.

Blacknight use Installatron which in my opinion is better than EasyApps.

Another thing I will say about H365 - I don't have a problem signing a hosting contract with them (for example, a three year hosting contract) as I believe they try to do the right thing, and try to run their business properly.

Steve also takes a very active interest in his company (such as posting on boards.ie at 22:46!) which is a good sign, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

We don't have a limit withour web based file manager

Are ya sure? :)

Phil.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah the web masters forum has turned into the web hosting forum lately.

I think some hosting questions should be allowed here.. minor stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sully wrote: »
    No just noticed it today. Doesn't bother me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sully wrote: »
    General stuff is fine (and yes I'm biased!), but we all have our support and sales staff, support desks, forums etc., to deal with specific queries ie. "How can I do X with host Y?"
    The larger hosts all frequent this board and it's not as if you can't contact the MDs of the main ones directly, as the "heads" of the top 3 all frequent boards.ie

Just to clarify the statements above by Confound - the 5GB and 10GB webspace quotas we advertise are just that - webspace quotas.

We don't limit them in any way, number of files, types of files or anything else.

Email, databases are all different server clusters with different quotas - seperately listed in the plan specifications. The Email and Database quotas are -In Addition- to the webspace quota.

Another comment from me :)

With their support it really depends who you get. One guy in particular clearly does not give a ****. For example, I rang him with a DNS issue (my server was down.) He said mail it in and he will look at it. A few hours later I ring him back to see how he's getting on. He says he hasn't looked at it - he's assigned it to someone else who he think's is in tomorrow. This isn't good, but I accept it. Now it turns out the guy isn't in until Monday.

I don't know why he couldn't have just looked into the issue - leaving my server offline for four days is totally unacceptable.

This same guy also fobbed me off the phone in the past.

This is my main problem with H365 - a lot of the staff seem very poor - you just cannot trust them doing what they say they will do. So always check and double check...

Not taking away from your experience dublindude - which I will follow up with on PM, but the OP asked about register365 - not dedicated servers ...

I'll drop you a PM about the other stuff...

• Advertisement

The key, i think, with any customer experience, is - if you're not happy / frustrated - to escalate the issue.

Having a server down or not feeling you are getting support is beyond unacceptable - simply ask to speak to the persons manager - or even pm / email me here - and they will be summarily flogged and your issue resolved.

As I said in another thread here, we're a company now of almost 60 people in two countries - many of whom are fairly new (just by virtue of rapid sustained growth). That doesnt mean poor support is acceptable - but it does mean sometimes support might be less than what the company 'wants' to provide.

The best way to fix such issues are tell management about them - and I like to think we're fairly accessible - all customers have my direct mobile number as well as the myriad other ways to make contact...

(not for a second having any kind of 'go' at dublindude, it's just shocking still how poor Irish people are at complaining! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Not taking away from your experience dublindude - which I will follow up with on PM, but the OP asked about register365 - not dedicated servers ...

Is it not the same support guys who look at both the hosted and dedicated issues?

No, they are actually two entirely seperate teams. Seperate sales people, seperate front line support, and very soon, entirely seperate engineers.

Update on my issue with H365: they've made a big effort to get it sorted, and we now know what the problem is (my nameserver requires a glue record due to my weird server setup.)

Good job H365 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tinyjiffy

With regards to the eternal debates on Irish hosting, I have found consistently the same thing in my and clients' experiences: H365 and Blacknight are both excellent, the rest are dire.

Which to choose of the two? Whichever you're most used to and whichever suits your budget. I tend to use H365 a little bit more, but it's really only because I'm more familiar with their processes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

tinyjiffy wrote: »
    H365 and Blacknight are both excellent, the rest are dire.

Have you tried other hosts? A few are dire, but Ireland has a lot more than two quality web hosts. You don't have to host with one of the webhosting giants to be a satisfied customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tinyjiffy

CoNfOuNd wrote: »
    Have you tried other hosts? A few are dire, but Ireland has a lot more than two quality web hosts. You don't have to host with one of the webhosting giants to be a satisfied customer.

For all I know, your service could be fantastic. (I'm assuming you're involved with Spiral hosting from your signature.) However, from a quick glance at your prices, what's the incentive for me to switch from what I've never had a problem with? I suppose it's always the challenge for the newer company.

Good luck with it anyway.

tinyjiffy wrote: »
    H365 and Blacknight are both excellent, the rest are dire.
    CoNfOuNd wrote:
    Have you tried other hosts?
    tinyjiffy wrote:
    For all I know, your service could be fantastic.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

We're a Top 20 Irish Web Host
    Where can this list be found?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

henbane wrote: »
    Where can this list be found?
    Passed on by blacknight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement