Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with cpu upgrade

Options
  • 03-01-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

ok another amazing ****up on a pc i own. So im back to ask for help since you have been all so helpful before.

my dad was running a mediocre pc, and he decided to upgrade the cpu. he was running an amd athlon 2000 and he bought an amd athlon 3200.

From the word go we had problems.

the computer was not recognising the correct processor. when i right clicked my computer to check hardware it was showing up as a different processor, a 1800, worse then before.

after hours of messing, changing bios, changing mhz in bios the works, its completely ****ed.

pc will not boot up no what so ever

what should have been a simple bios update has completely wrecked the pc, cannot figure out whats wrong. the odd time its booting up but its not most of the time.

i feel it might be a psu issue, he only has a 300w psu, i feel it shud be a 500 to run the stuff he has in it.

any suggestions? pc is

windows xp
    amd 3200xp cpu ( not working)
    1gb ram ( generic make)
    geforce 6600
    samsung hd's i think
    300w psu

help greatly appreciated as always, thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

300w psu is fine. Sounds 2 me like a bios/ failed overclock issue, clear cmos by removing the battery & moving the jumper on the mobo, then load optimised defaults.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

i feel it might be a psu issue, he only has a 300w psu, i feel it shud be a 500 to run the stuff he has in it.

any suggestions? pc is

windows xp
    amd 3200xp cpu ( not working)
    1gb ram ( generic make)
    geforce 6600
    samsung hd's i think
    300w psu

help greatly appreciated as always, thanks

It's hard to remember back to 2002 when people had PC's like that, but 300W should be enough for it. The AthlonXP 3200 used a 400MHz bus (after DDR, 200MHz base), can that motherboard provide that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

option 2 sounds like it could fix it, ill give it a shot

those jumper things though, on his mobo it has 3 pins, and a blue bit f plastic around one...that the jumpers? there are three where do i move them?

also how do i reload cmos? ive never done anything like this ebfore...ugh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

option 2 sounds like it could fix it, ill give it a shot

those jumper things though, on his mobo it has 3 pins, and a blue bit f plastic around one...that the jumpers? there are three where do i move them?

also how do i reload cmos? ive never done anything like this ebfore...ugh

You'll need the manual for those details, it can vary hugely, though normally near enough to the onboard battery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I suggest you read the manual, or google for it if ya not got it, should find the manual on manufacturers website

Usual method for clearing Cmos:
    Remove the battery, then move the little jumper from pins 1&2 to pins 2&3 for a few seconds, then return to 1&2, replace battery. When you boot 1st time, in bios load optimised defaults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

If he was running an Athlon XP 2000+ CPU all along, there is a high probability that the motherboard he was using simply does'nt support the XP 3200+ processor properly.
    Most boards that came out around the time of the XP 2000+ didn't support the newer Barton cores, and if they did support Barton it was only the Bartons which had a 166MHZ (333MHz effective) front side bus. This excludes the later Bartons as they had an even higher FSB of 200MHz (400MHz effective). Chances are that you have a 200FSB 3200 Barton as the 166FSB version was much less common. The older motherboard chipsets were simply not designed for these processors.
    The simplest way for you to determine if this is the case would be to tell us what motherboard you have.

Edit: Oh and also he would need a better heatsink and fan to cope with the higher clocked processor, did you replace that as well, because what sufficed for a XP2000 might not cool a 3200 properly?

wellwedidnt get a new heatsink now?

but the motherboard can handle the processor we contatced the mobo manafac to make sure and we were assured.

ok now we have serious problem.

When i boot on the pc, nothing happens, the green power lights on the front are on, but the cpu fan just moves for a split second, there is no sound nohting happening in the pc.

any ideas?

ok now we have serious problem.

When i boot on the pc, nothing happens, the green power lights on the front are on, but the cpu fan just moves for a split second, there is no sound nohting happening in the pc.

any ideas?

Could be the thermal protection/guardian functions stopping the PC from booting. Double check the heatsink interface and it's cable.

well we checked that and everything is ok.

there is just no power running into it at all, could it be the psu?

there is just no power running at all.

we are a tad bit worried

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭newbusiness

Unplug everything from the motherboard except the RAM, CPU and the graphics card.

Ensure that the CPU is correctly seated and that there is enough thermal paste (but not too much, a very thin layer) evenly spread on the heatsink.

Put the old processor in, we know that works so get it working that far.

Clear the CMOS, properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Sounds like a fooked psu to me. Grab a cheap one to check.

he went ahead and ordered a new psu tbh...

cause tehre is just no power, i tink that is the problem, everything else is fine.

battery and jumper thing does nothing for it

just hope the new psu works

all sorted, psu was the problem

pc back up and running, still syas its a 1800xp instead of 3200xp chip, but we are gna leave it, its running **** fast then before so it doesnt matter, its jsut the pc saying its different but its obviously running at full capacity.

thanks for the help

Advertisement