Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

more holiday flats

Options
  • 03-01-2008 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Seems like there's planning permission going in for 16 apartments in the derelict building between the AIB bank and the Seahorse bar on Strand st.
    Is anyone else of the opinion that the last thing the bottom of the town is more high density sub standard apartments , hardly think that this will benefit the town in anyway only the developers , bar/chipper & off licence owners.
    I hope to god that this is shot straight down as it doesn't even seem to have any car parking, utility areas or access and as with certain other holiday flats in the area. These have the definite potential to develop into magnets for trouble as they follow the path of holiday let to low cost housing for people with young kids.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I agree with what you're saying

However those buildings have been empty for years, with the exception of the apartments that were occupied relatively recently, and can't see a developer doing anything with it other than flats tbh, as the town is already planning extensive retail developments in other areas, and I don't think it would be any advantage to have a green area etc around there, unless it was very securely sealed off at 3 o'clock in the morning

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its being objected to by at least one person living near by. I think its terrible, but I suppose thats the best that can be put there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sm123_irl

The site which they are planning to build these apartment has being derelict for well over 10 years, i think i would be good to see something finally put in there. Might make that whole area look better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

sm123_irl wrote: »
    The site which they are planning to build these apartment has being derelict for well over 10 years, i think i would be good to see something finally put in there. Might make that whole area look better
    i dont think more appartments would make the whole are look better. it wasnt a bad looking building for a derilict building until that recent fire.
    i honestly would prefer to see it remain derelict. there is no car parking for appartments there.
    We have enough of them in that area with le palais and atlantic.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its good to see something being put there - but I don't agree it should be apartments. The town is full of them, and there all tacky and unkempt. There not the nicest of apartments. (In my opinion.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

try adding twenty onto that!! the house burnt down in the mid eighties from wat i remember and the former dantes pizza is empty more than ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

paul666 wrote: »
    i dont think more appartments would make the whole are look better. it wasnt a bad looking building for a derilict building until that recent fire.
    i honestly would prefer to see it remain derelict. there is no car parking for appartments there.
    We have enough of them in that area with le palais and atlantic.
    Le Palais is sealed off now, chain around the gate, I used to always take a sneaky pi*s if the other p*ss alley was full in there after a few bohhels, must be redeveloping that too

Le Palais is sealed off now, chain around the gate, I used to always take a sneaky pi*s if the other p*ss alley was full in there after a few bohhels, must be redeveloping that too

There getting a massive overhaul. A much needed one.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

of course something should be done with a prime site as it is but 16 apartments is way over the top, and don't honestly think it can be approved , think someone is chancing their arm before offering to buy it

Turns out these aren't even holiday flats , they are intended for Focus Ireland as a transitional apartments, I read the plan and it's a joke they actually said that there is no need for car parking as the tenants won't have cars, and there is no south facing windows due to privacy with other neighbours.
    This is a four storey development thats going there , but seems there has been a few objections from the LA and an Teasgac, fingers crossed

http://eplan.waterfordcoco.ie/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=071818

• Advertisement

Wonder will the council say yes..

Can't believe they said ah sure they're homeless so they won't have cars, surely our planning can't be that short sighted when they build a building for the next two hundred years or so,

Advertisement