Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mudguards for a Trek 1200

Options
  • 03-01-2008 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if anyone here can recommend full mudguards for a Trek 1200 and where to buy them. I got a pair of Tor-Tec at Cycleways, tried to fit them myself, failed, took them to another bike shop where they couldn't get them on, back to Cycleways where the guys in the shop said they should fit but the guys in the repair shop of Cycleways said they wouldn't fit so had to return them. Does anyone here know of another brand that they know for sure will fit a Trek?

I understand that there are a few brands of the "semi-full" that are in vogue SKS Raceblade, Zefal Protektor (road), Tortec Razor and a Halfords brand. I believe they are better than nothing but is any one of them better than the rest? The shops I've called into all seem to be out of stock saying that new stock will come in sometime this month. So if you have any pointers brick and mortar or online I would appreciate it.

I'm currently using one of those seat-post clip on things but they are worse than useless.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I got those Zefal Protector ones on one of my bikes that wouldn't take ordinary mudguards, and I find them quite good. They have a bit of a tendency to come apart, and you wouldn't be wanting to remove a quick release wheel, as they'll fall to bits and then prove awkward to reassemble. But they're reasonably effective at preventing splashing - the rear one better than the front I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

cycleways are deadly aren't they?

i have SKS raceblades (the clip-on type) on my bike, and think they're pretty good actually. the mounts are clever rubber thingies that don't need any tools, and they don't rattle. i had the halfords ones and they're not very good and eventually self destructed. i take the wheels off regularly without worrying about the mudguards, they might take a bit of lining up but that's nothing really.

as for where to get them? well, i got the sks raceblades in cycleways but that was a while ago and since then i've taken the unilateral decision not to buy anything in said shop again (because of their general crapness). so, eh..., wiggle? or these maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Thanks guys. I found the Halford's ones very flimsy too. So even though I mentioned them in my post I was not going to buy them. I think the chromoplastics are full mudguards and I'm a bit wary of ordering anything online without being sure that they fit. They look very similar to the TorTec and Cycleways had them in stock as well.

I'm still looking to see if anyone got full ones onto a Trek roadie. If not, I'll go with the semis. The SKS raceblades are available on CyclesSuperstore for 45. Wiggle gets a bit expensive after shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Cycle Superstore do SKS Raceblades as well. Buy them as well as something for around a tenner and you should bring the price up to just over 50 brick, thereby earning you free delivery. Nice.
    niceonetom wrote: »
    cycleways are deadly aren't they?

i have SKS raceblades (the clip-on type) on my bike, and think they're pretty good actually. the mounts are clever rubber thingies that don't need any tools, and they don't rattle. i had the halfords ones and they're not very good and eventually self destructed. i take the wheels off regularly without worrying about the mudguards, they might take a bit of lining up but that's nothing really.

as for where to get them? well, i got the sks raceblades in cycleways but that was a while ago and since then i've taken the unilateral decision not to buy anything in said shop again (because of their general crapness). so, eh..., wiggle? or these maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

CycleSuperStore shipping is free to Ireland...

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewContent.asp?idpage=2

• Advertisement

Hi Ghost Rider, looks like you missed my last post where I mentioned Raceblades at Cyclesuperstore :) Thanks for the advice, that's likely what I'll do.

@Bluefoam: If you read the last line before the table, you'll see that there is a 9.95 charge. The table is probably an additional weight-based charge. Let me know if I'm wrong and you have had sub-50 Euro stuff shipped for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Correct. I didn't bother reading it. I just jumped in, e-feet first.

By the way, I use the Race Blades too. They're very good but they're mainly to stop you getting wet. They don't stop your rear wheel dirtying your frame.
    garo wrote: »
    Hi Ghost Rider, looks like you missed my last post where I mentioned Raceblades at Cyclesuperstore :) Thanks for the advice, that's likely what I'll do.

@Bluefoam: If you read the last line before the table, you'll see that there is a 9.95 charge. The table is probably an additional weight-based charge. Let me know if I'm wrong and you have had sub-50 Euro stuff shipped for free.

By the way, I use the Race Blades too. They're very good but they're mainly to stop you getting wet. They don't stop your rear wheel dirtying your frame.

I have sort of resigned myself to that given that no full length guards seem to fit. I'd happily take my back not getting muddy. On the last wet spin, my helmet was covered in mud at the back.

Advertisement