Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Errs Sins .....THE ' Lost ' SAS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

McArmalite wrote: »
    I'm just highlighting how when you scratch the surface of a brit, you get a vain, conceited mouth underneath. The Orish - thick, the French - frogs, Italians - dirty eyeties, Spainish - greasy dagos, Aussies - uncouth ( unlike you English 'gentlemen' :D ) Germans- brutish krauts etc, etc. But it all goes back to the days not that long ago the brits of all classes used to mouth off that their was only two races in the world, the british and the rest.

More abuse eh? you are really starting to get desperate. I've never heard the one about there being only to races before. I'll have to use that one in future, thanks.

We have several diferent names for people from different countries, We call the French Frogs, they cal us Roast beef. Kraut is actually an American term for Germans, but it is used in Britain, like it is here. I haven't heard anyone from Spain called a greasy dago for decades and as for the Aussies being uncouth, most of them are pretty well house trained now from what I hear:p.

Tell me, you are live in Dublin but you are from Ulster, are you a muck savage, a culchie, a dirty Dub, a Jackean or a nordie? oops, sorry, the irish would never resort to name calling would they:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Bramble wrote: »
    Ideally that should not matter to the discussion. Knowing where someone is from allows you to form an opinion of them solely based on where they are from.

Obviously Mc is not the type of guy to immediately jump to conclusions and brand someone with labels............

I'm from the Monaghan/Armagh border. I have lived on both sides of the border and have immediate family in Emyvale,Blayney,Armagh,Cross and Cullaville. I beleive that my interest in military history was developed by regular exposure to miltary check points as a kid. :D

And i'll think you'll find that yes the SAS were not as successful as the (their)media portray them but then again neither were the volunteers of the IRA. However the Loughall incident did help the British force to prevent the emergence in Fermangh/East Tyrone of a similar 'no-go' area as had been cultivated in South Armagh.

P.S. The SAS were not given pivotal roles in Gulf War 2 (as you call it) as the US forces suffered from a somewhat mistaken belief in their own abilities. This belief hindered them in Tora Bora when the SAS could have got Bin Laden but the US wanted to do it themselves.

Fair enough Bramble, fair enough. ( From the border meself, not your part though ;).) Totally argee with your view regarding the success of the SAS/UVF and the IRA. I posted before, and it's a long time since I read it, but in Raymond Murrays book The SAS in Ireland, which is an honest and clincial attempt to report on the subject and not the endless Biggles type tribe that's normally claimed by the SAS/UVF members, the encounters that happened between them generally happened by accident than design. But still, considering the resources, backup, endless hours to train and practise, the Provos did more than just put it up to the 'Super soldiers' of the " best fighting force in the world " claptrap. Shades of Tom Barry and Kilmicheal :).

I have no doubt if the position was reversed and the SAS/UVF had to work fulltime jobs as brickies, postmen etc and take on a fulltime Provo unit with their resources, no guessing what the resullt would have been.

As for the SAS/UVF not been given a greater role in Gulf War 2, I thought it was due in part tot the fiasco of the Bravo Two Zero escapade ? Back in 1991 when the issue of destroying the scuds was raised, the british wanted some mission to glorify their supermen. The yanks said ( sensibly I would have thought ), what's the point of going to all that trouble dropping in a covert team of foot soldiers whan a few F 16's can take them out quicker with a fraction of the fuss. But still the british wanted some daring-do mission to mouth off endlessly about and insisted on SAS doing it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's what I seen several years on a documentary.

Again correct me if I'm wrong, but the SAS nearly catching Bin Laden.......the usual Biggles stories I'd say. Thank God the Americans caught Saddam though, if the brits caught him we'd never have heard the end of it for all time :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sound Bramble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

Actually you baffoon it was the SBS (Royal Marines version) who nearly caught Bin Laden.

The Yanks own special Forces, the Delta Force is based on 22 SAS and was set up by the SAS.

In Gulf War 1, the Yank general in charge praised the SAS for ambushing and destroying Iraqi missiles convoys by covertly waiting for them pass.

Its only armchair republicans who slag off their capabilties as a unit, because as you know they destroyed the PIRAs moral to keep fighting, be that by ambushes, collusion or whatever.

Pathfinder wrote: »
    Actually you baffoon it was the SBS (Royal Marines version) who nearly caught Bin Laden.

The Yanks own special Forces, the Delta Force is based on 22 SAS and was set up by the SAS.

In Gulf War 1, the Yank general in charge praised the SAS for ambushing and destroying Iraqi missiles convoys by covertly waiting for them pass.

Its only armchair republicans who slag off their capabilties as a unit, because as you know they destroyed the PIRAs moral to keep fighting, be that by ambushes, collusion or whatever.

It was Bramble who stated " in Tora Bora when the SAS could have got Bin Laden but the US wanted to do it themselves. " not me ya buffoon :D.

But it's back to " The SAS officially killed around 50 terrorists, ........ and lost two men in SAS operations, " time :rolleyes: As for the SBS nearly catching him, was he paddling down a river in a canoe or something ?

So the " The Yanks own special Forces " the Delta Force, Green Berets, US Navy Seals, are " based on 22 SAS and was set up by the SAS. ". God what you learn on the interweb. I suppose the French Foreign Legion * was set up by the SAS/UVF also ? But since I heard once that the SAS/UVF were supposed to be based on the Ninja ( sneaking around the place, assainations, the black clothes all that mallarky ), surely it's our 16th century Japanese friends whom should get the praise ? :)

Republicans change of tatctics has all to do with the inevitable nationalist majority due to the papes high birth rate than anything the SAS/UVF or SBS or dad's army or whatever did.

* ( NOW we're talking about the most deadly and elite fighting force in the world. They'd go thru the SAS/UVF like a knife thru buttter. )

Pathfinder wrote: »

I think it was was stormin Norman who mentioned asking British intelligence to find out about the Scud guidance system prior to desert storm starting. British intelligence asked the SAS to help, so the SAS went into Kuwait and brought back a scud guidance system, along with the missile, the launcher and the 12 man crew that went with it.

• Advertisement

what's the point of going to all that trouble dropping in a covert team of foot soldiers whan a few F 16's can take them out quicker with a fraction of the fuss. But still the british wanted some daring-do mission to mouth off endlessly about and insisted on SAS doing it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that's what I seen several years on a documentary.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Russians designed the Scud missile and it's launcher, the possibility of attack by American aircraft was possibly considered. Aircraft are great at hitting targets that don't move around on a continuous basis, which is what the scud is designed to do.

I think it was was stormin Norman who mentioned asking British intelligence to find out about the Scud guidance system prior to desert storm starting. British intelligence asked the SAS to help, so the SAS went into Kuwait and brought back a scud guidance system, along with the missile, the launcher and the 12 man crew that went with it.

Do you live in a total FANTASY LAND pal. He must have obviously been reading too many SAS/UVF daring-do books and cannot now diffeniate between fiction and fact :). The Americans didn't have ask the brits to find out about the Scuds, all they had to do was use their satellites to find them ya dummy.

" so the SAS went into Kuwait and brought back a scud guidance system, along with the missile, the launcher and the 12 man crew that went with it. " Just done a search under - scud missile picture - and the bloody things are ENORMOUS. What a sad little man. Did they carry the whole lot in their rucksacks ?? :D
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but when the Russians designed the Scud missile and it's launcher, the possibility of attack by American aircraft was possibly considered. Aircraft are great at hitting targets that don't move around on a continuous basis, which is what the scud is designed to do.

Well since their transported on a lorry type vehicle and since the USAF had no problem taking out much smaller tanks and so on, and I think you'll agree that tanks do move around on a continual basis, I'd put me money on a few F 16's than on the SAS/UVF.

Do you live in a total FANTASY LAND pal. He must have obviously been reading too many SAS/UVF daring-do books and cannot now diffeniate between fiction and fact :). The Americans didn't have ask the brits to find out about the Scuds, all they had to do was use their satellites to find them ya dummy.
    the guidance system you dummy, I'm pretty sure they knew what the things looked like
    " so the SAS went into Kuwait and brought back a scud guidance system, along with the missile, the launcher and the 12 man crew that went with it. " Just done a search under - scud missile picture - and the bloody things are ENORMOUS. What a sad little man. Did they carry the whole lot in their rucksacks ?? :D
    you answered that one yourself, they drove the ****ing thing back over the border:rolleyes:
    Well since their transported on a lorry type vehicle and since the USAF had no problem taking out much smaller tanks and so on, and I think you'll agree that tanks do move around on a continual basis, I'd put me money on a few F 16's than on the SAS/UVF.

Except of course tanks come out into the open to fight. Scud launchers are hidden, moved on and hidden again, that was the whole point of them. Iraq is a big country and a scud isn't really that big, where the **** is your problem in understanding that. Maybe they should have sent in a Ninja from Dublin to do the job instead eh, O'Lep;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Pathfinder

MacArmalites not worse responding to he's an imbecile anyone who calls the SAS Dads army knows FA.

Hes just a Celtic yobo with a chip on his shoulder.

the guidance system you dummy, I'm pretty sure they knew what the things looked like

you answered that one yourself, they drove the ****ing thing back over the border:rolleyes:

Except of course tanks come out into the open to fight. Scud launchers are hidden, moved on and hidden again, that was the whole point of them. Iraq is a big country and a scud isn't really that big, where the **** is your problem in understanding that. Maybe they should have sent in a Ninja from Dublin to do the job instead eh, O'Lep;)

Oh so they DROVE the thing back. Sorry when you said brought ( defined as - to carry, convey, conduct, ) I assumed you meant they had carried/conducted the thing like as the dictionary suggests. Thank you for telling me that little detail. Can you tell us where you read that and a link etc I've searched under - sas scud missile capture - but nothing ?? Or maybe was it all so top secret that the public weren't informed ??. Funny, but from my experience, if the SAS won a football match we generally never hear the end of it - daring heros strike again, the world's greatest regiment etc. etc.

As for the Scuds, I'm sure Uncle Sam's technology is well up to spotting bunkers, convoy/vehicle movements etc after all you couldn't have launched your invasion of the Malvinas without them secertly supplying you with up to date satellite photos. Besides I'm sure the Americans had plenty of spies within the Iraqi army to get them the information without relying on a bunch of macho clowns form SAS/UVF to do it for them.

Anyway, post the souce of all this great information and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Oh so they DROVE the thing back. Sorry when you said brought ( defined as - to carry, convey, conduct, ) I assumed you meant they had carried/conducted the thing like as the dictionary suggests. Thank you for telling me that little detail. Can you tell us where you read that and a link etc I've searched under - sas scud missile capture - but nothing ?? Or maybe was it all so top secret that the public weren't informed ??. Funny, but from my experience, if the SAS won a football match we generally never hear the end of it - daring heros strike again, the world's greatest regiment etc. etc.

As for the Scuds, I'm sure Uncle Sam's technology is well up to spotting bunkers, convoy/vehicle movements etc after all you couldn't have launched your invasion of the Malvinas without them secertly supplying you with up to date satellite photos. Besides I'm sure the Americans had plenty of spies within the Iraqi army to get them the information without relying on a bunch of macho clowns form SAS/UVF to do it for them.

Anyway, post the souce of all this great information and if I'm wrong I'm wrong.

I'll have a look. In the meantime you might like to look at this http://www.geocities.com/saspastandpresent/letter_commendation.htm

I'll have a look. In the meantime you might like to look at this http://www.geocities.com/saspastandpresent/letter_commendation.htm

:D Load of bollox mate, if you expect to believe that's authentic, absoulute load of bollox. " none of these ( Coalation) forces possessed the requisite skills and abilities required to conduct such a dangerous operation. The only force deemed qualified for this critical mission was the 22d Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment......... The area in which they were committed proved to contain far more numerous enemy forces than had been predicted .....the terrain was much more difficult than expected and the weather conditions were unseasonably brutal.....". Total load of bollox, but sure your the type of little schoolboys who eats up every scrap of 007 stuff that they put out about themselves. Sad, very sad.

Just like did paper ever refuse ink, did a web page every refuse html ???

:D Load of bollox mate, if you expect to believe that's authentic, absoulute load of bollox. " none of these ( Coalation) forces possessed the requisite skills and abilities required to conduct such a dangerous operation. The only force deemed qualified for this critical mission was the 22d Special Air Service (SAS) Regiment......... The area in which they were committed proved to contain far more numerous enemy forces than had been predicted .....the terrain was much more difficult than expected and the weather conditions were unseasonably brutal.....". Total load of bollox, but sure your the type of little schoolboys who eats up every scrap of 007 stuff that they put out about themselves. Sad, very sad.

Just like did paper ever refuse ink, did a web page every refuse html ???

fine, you carry on living in your fantasy land then pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

fine, you carry on living in your fantasy land then pal.

And you carry on living in your own

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Fratton Fred, I'm sorry, but whatever about Pathfinder and McArmalite, you are starting to sound like a Walt.

The SAS involvement with Scuds was to destroy them and their infrastructure to prevent attacks on Israel and Saudi Arabia. Small unit tactics meant they could get closer and meant not sending a large force over a huge distance.

They had no use for a Scud guidance system - seeing as it was designed abount 1960
    Which was is the missle or the guidance system?
    Which border? the one with 1.5 millions soldiers along a 300km front? Thats 5 soldiers per metre of front, by the way. Easy to sneak by.

Victor wrote: »
    Fratton Fred, I'm sorry, but whatever about Pathfinder and McArmalite, you are starting to sound like a Walt.

The SAS involvement with Scuds was to destroy them and their infrastructure to prevent attacks on Israel and Saudi Arabia. Small unit tactics meant they could get closer and meant not sending a large force over a huge distance.

They had no use for a Scud guidance system - seeing as it was designed abount 1960

Which border? the one with 1.5 millions soldiers along a 300km front? Thats 5 soldiers per metre of front, by the way. Easy to sneak by.

He's talking a load of bollox Victor, but the british boys always do when they mention the the Supersoldiers of the SAS :rolleyes:. Since their empire is thankfully dead and gone, they have to make a big hype about something militarily, hence the SAS Supermen fantasy stories. Their still endlessly going on about the Iranian Embassy seige in 1980, no daring-do SAS rescue attempt of the british naval people who were in Iranian waters last year though :). No, an ar$e kissing, butt licking rescue was more like it.

Victor wrote: »

That was the problem, from what I remember but I can't find the story anywhere. The Russians although not directly involved in GW1 did help the allies quite a bit, but they thought the guidance system had been changed, this was before the war started when the troops were all massing along the Saudi/Kuwaiti border.

I'll have another look for the story, but is it really that important? This has gone right off track.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

In fairness though it does seem a little bit far fetched but I'm open to correction. I did a search for the story too because it sounds like an extremely impressive acomplishment if true but unfortunatly I could not find anything on it.

In fairness though it does seem a little bit far fetched but I'm open to correction. I did a search for the story too because it sounds like an extremely impressive acomplishment if true but unfortunatly I could not find anything on it.

Neither could I. I remember reading it in the Sunday Times, but their records don't appear to go back that far.

Happy to admit it seems far fetched and I have nothing to back it up. Shame though because I do remember reading it.

Found plenty of praise for the SAS patrols that went Scud hunting though, although I am sure McArmalite will think that is all bollox as well:rolleyes:

Neither could I. I remember reading it in the Sunday Times, but their records don't appear to go back that far.

Happy to admit it seems far fetched and I have nothing to back it up. Shame though because I do remember reading it.

Found plenty of praise for the SAS patrols that went Scud hunting though, although I am sure McArmalite will think that is all bollox as well:rolleyes:
    Spot on Fred, like the vast majority of SAS daring do Supermen stories, 'with a flick of the wrist all the enemy were dead sort of stuff', :rolleyes: a complete load of bollox. As for the many alleged 'High Noon' type shootout's the SAS/UVF were supposed to have had with the Provos, the encounters that happened between them generally happened by accident than design. The Provos won a few, the Provos lost a few. But as stated before, considering the resources, backup, endless hours to train and practise, the Provos did more than just put it up to the 'Super soldiers' of the " best fighting force in the world " claptrap. Shades of Tom Barry and Kilmicheal.

My favourite SAS fantasy story would have to be Chris Ryan claiming to have shot about 30 Iraqi soldiers all with just his assualt rifle, conviently not one Iraqi soldier was just wounded and lived to backup his story, nor was he even wounded once in the shoot out :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My favourite SAS fantasy story would have to be Chris Ryan claiming to have shot about 30 Iraqi soldiers all with just his assualt rifle, conviently not won Iraqi soldier was just wounded and lived to backup his story, nor was he even wounded once in the shoot out :rolleyes:

If his name was Ryan, he must have been telling the truth.:cool:

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If his name was Ryan, he must have been telling the truth.:cool:
    Well, I think as part of the ultra secretive schoolboy hype, they take a pseudonym I believe.

Isn't it a contracdiction though, for a regiment that's supposed to be so secretive, even with the name 'Secret' in it's title, there isn't ANY regiement that has had so much bloody books, movies and documentary's ( all british made ofcourse) about it !!!! Sort of " The World Famous - Secret SAS " contradiction. Any documentary made about them is always peppered with words like - extraordinary, amazing, incredible, fantastic etc, etc. As I said, since britian is only a broken down former colonial power, they could hardly sell the RAF or the Royal Navy as the world's foremost supermen, they have to make a big hype and gross propaganda about something in their armed forces, and the 007 image and mega claims and hype giving to the SAS fits the bill.

Well, I think as part of the ultra secretive schoolboy hype, they take a pseudonym I believe.

Isn't it a contracdiction though, for a regiment that's supposed to be so secretive, even with the name 'Secret' in it's title, there isn't ANY regiement that has had so much bloody books, movies and documentary's ( all british made ofcourse) about it !!!! Sort of " The World Famous - Secret SAS " contradiction. Any documentary made about them is always peppered with words like - extraordinary, amazing, incredible, fantastic etc, etc. As I said, since britian is only a broken down former colonial power, they could hardly sell the RAF or the Royal Navy as the world's foremost supermen, they have to make a big hype and gross propaganda about something in their armed forces, and the 007 image and mega claims and hype giving to the SAS fits the bill.

They are incredibly well trained, I don't think there is any doubt about that, but they are just human at the end of the day.

Of course, I guess their biggest crime is being part of the British military, no matter what they do you are going to critcise it. Obviously as a "Broken Down Colonial Empire" they are no match for your super Ninja skills, but I wonder would you have the balls to say any of this face to face with a member of the SAS? I doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Ironically enough, in the Irish media some years ago, there was mention that the SAS were training the Irish Army Rangers.

Also, years ago, my Kerry born uncle had finished his 22 years in the RAF at Creden Hill in Hereford. He'd sold his house, prior to moving back to Ireland. He was lent a house previously occupied by some SAS man. We visited him there one summer, just after he moved in, only to find that the central heating was full on - it was like sauna. The only reason I could think of was that the SAS man had obviously been trying to acclimatise himself because he'd been somewhere bloody hot, or was going somewhere bloody hot.

They are incredibly well trained, I don't think there is any doubt about that, but they are just human at the end of the day.

Of course, I guess their biggest crime is being part of the British military, no matter what they do you are going to critcise it. Obviously as a "Broken Down Colonial Empire" they are no match for your super Ninja skills, but I wonder would you have the balls to say any of this face to face with a member of the SAS? I doubt it somehow.
    Would an SAS man have the balls to face me on his own is more like it Fred ? ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Isn't it a contracdiction though, for a regiment that's supposed to be so secretive, even with the name 'Secret' in it's title,

has it? are you sure - i mean really sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,180 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

This is such an interesting read. The SAS are/were effective but then to admit as such really puts the 'we were upholding the law' stance of the British Government into the bin that is labelled 'total bull****'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Quis Separabit

Spot on Fred, like the vast majority of SAS daring do Supermen stories, 'with a flick of the wrist all the enemy were dead sort of stuff', :rolleyes: a complete load of bollox. As for the many alleged 'High Noon' type shootout's the SAS/UVF were supposed to have had with the Provos, the encounters that happened between them generally happened by accident than design. The Provos won a few, the Provos lost a few. But as stated before, considering the resources, backup, endless hours to train and practise, the Provos did more than just put it up to the 'Super soldiers' of the " best fighting force in the world " claptrap. Shades of Tom Barry and Kilmicheal.

My favourite SAS fantasy story would have to be Chris Ryan claiming to have shot about 30 Iraqi soldiers all with just his assualt rifle, conviently not one Iraqi soldier was just wounded and lived to backup his story, nor was he even wounded once in the shoot out :rolleyes:

This is complete garbage,proper republicans admit SAS ambushes severely affected moral, and made many more accommodating in looking for a peace process.

Between 86-91, the SAS killed 38 members of East Tyrone brigade in ambushes, including Loughall, for the loss of none.

This is complete garbage,proper republicans admit SAS ambushes severely affected moral, and made many more accommodating in looking for a peace process.

Between 86-91, the SAS killed 38 members of East Tyrone brigade in ambushes, including Loughall, for the loss of none.

According to your fellow brit Pathfinder, " The SAS officially killed around 50 terrorists, ........ and lost two men in SAS operations,".

So the alleged number depends on which daring do fantasy book you read. They should have got the Chris Ryan fella, the SAS/UVF Superman who shot 30 Iraqi soldiers, all dead, not one left wounded to back up his story, with only an assault rifle and wasn't even wounded himself. Amazing :rolleyes:.

As I said previous - " As I said, since britian is only a broken down former colonial power, they could hardly sell the RAF or the Royal Navy as the world's foremost supermen, they have to make a big hype and gross propaganda about something in their armed forces, and the 007 image and mega claims and hype giving to the SAS fits the bill."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

According to your fellow brit Pathfinder, " The SAS officially killed around 50 terrorists, ........ and lost two men in SAS operations,".

So the alleged number depends on which daring do fantasy book you read.

obviously i'm going to regret having any kind of discourse with anyone as wierd as you, but the two statements you suggest are contradicary are, in fact, not.

one says that in a specific time frame against a specific PIRA unit 22SAS 'achieved' such and such a statistic, the next, which i assume from the lack of parameters in the statement, indicates that within the whole conflict 22SAS 'achieved' another statistic. now, given that the first statistic 'fits' well-enough within the second statistic, how can they be contradictary?

just in case you find that a bit difficult, both members of 22SAS killed by PIRA fall outside the parameters of the statistic relating to the PIRA East Tyrone unit - Captain Westmacott died in Belfast in 1980 and Corporal Alistair Slater in County Fermanagh in 1984 - therefore both outside the timescale given in the first statistic and outside the geographic area of PIRA East Tyrone operations. it also, interestingly, suggests that (assuming the '50-odd' figure for the number of PIRA members killed by 22SAS during the whole conflict is correct) some 80% of all PIRA losses to 22SAS - NI wide and over a 25 or so year period - were in the East Tyrone brigade area in a 5 year period.

i would however point out out that the specific numbers of PIRA volunteers killed by 22SAS is up for debate, is is difficult in some instances to determine whether 22SAS were involved or whether 'regular' units were responsible.

Advertisement