Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing timber flooring

Options
  • 03-01-2008 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, Can anyone tell me when it is OK to store timber flooring for aclimatisation purposes in an unoccupied house. The flooring and plastering was done last summer and there was good drying during autumn. House got a bit damp from autumn on and heating only went on a couple of weeks ago (underfloor throughout) but I am only keeping temp at about 13 or 14 for now. I would like to buy timber flooring (semi-solid) in the sales and store it for a few months. Assuming it is OK to store what precautions would I need to take ? Remove wrapping, lay flat, put weights on, etc ?
    Thanks
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Remove wrap, stack with dividers to allow airflow along its length.
    Do not use weights they can make it warp.
    Do you have a moisture meter? They can be useful for measuring water content before laying.
    Semi-solid shouldn't be too bad, but still try and keep as dry as possible before laying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 JBCFord

Ennisjim
    if your storing your floor before laying leave it in the packet on a dead flat surface if room temperature is low and the air is damp two weeks before laying floor have the house up to temp 18c to 23c you can open the packets but leave them in the cardboard box until fitting so the corners don’t get damaged and scratched it’s a good idea to have a few dehumidifiers in the house prior to moving in as an un occupied house can get very damp from building works
    When you’re laying your floor pick boards from different boxes to have a better spread of shades around the floor check boxes for damaged boards and use for rips and ends cuts
    Have your frames and architrave trimmed for fitting
    And have fun
    Regards jbcford

Advertisement