Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Mathematics Courses

Options
  • 03-01-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

My son wants to do applied maths for his leaving cert but his school doesn't do them ,any suggestions we live in Nth wicklow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The institute do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 topcat8

Thanks Sean ,do you mean institute in leeson st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

The Ballinteer institute do it too, in Dundrum. 'Swhere I do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

topcat8 wrote: »
    Thanks Sean ,do you mean institute in leeson st

Yup, that's the one, it's a bit out of the way for you though.

AFAIK the lessons are on Saturday mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Be warned they're expensive. If he's really motivated he could teach himself. It's not too hard but does take some work. I know a couple of guys who did this and got A1s in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Be warned they're expensive. If he's really motivated he could teach himself. It's not too hard but does take some work. I know a couple of guys who did this and got A1s in it.
    Agree, it's very possible to get good results teaching yourself. If you are dedicated and wiling it is not difficult. It is very similar to physics and if you don't like a particular topic it can be omitted as the exam paper has a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

I got an A2 teaching myself. Definitely an option if your son is bright enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

JC 2K3 wrote: »

^^ similarly, can definitely be done, and without a HUGE amount of work

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

My son wants to do applied maths for his leaving cert but his school doesn't do them ,any suggestions we live in Nth wicklow

ya i agree if he is good at maths and physics he should have no problems! :D

if he is serious about doing it he should look at the following link to get an idea of whats involved:
    http://www.skoool.ie/homeworkzone_sc.asp?id=3203

the first five topics are the ones i concentrated on as i found them to be the easiest of the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

If he can handle calculus and physics, Get him the book, the papers and a few grinds to get him going. The subject itself gets easier once the basics are understood. It'll also make his understanding of maths much more thorough. Took it myself in 2000, went on to do Engineering, It'll stand to him.
    Its a help to be mechanically minded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jason_kelly

The Irish Applied Mathematics Teachers Association are putting together a list of teachers willing to give grinds. Only one entry date but I've been promised that there will be more to follow soon. www.iamta.ie

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    Thats seems like an good option to him, any suggestions about text books to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Thats seems like an good option to him, any suggestions about text books to use?

Fundamental Applied Mathematics by Oliver Murphy. Tis the only one I know of, and it is very good. It's probably the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

There's some other one, a blue book, (which I confess I have but have never opened), but general consensus is the oliver murphy one (a brown book) is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

There's some other one, a blue book, (which I confess I have but have never opened), but general consensus is the oliver murphy one (a brown book) is best.

aidan roantrees one i think, i have some notes from it as the oliver murphy doesnt have them greatly explained, saying that, there are 3 applied maths teachers in my school, all would go with murphys book hands down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Murphys definitely. Apparently there's a lot of mistakes in the other one.

Thanks all for you help:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Hmm, A bit Off topic but I do applied maths in school weekly and we have always used a blue book (By Kevin Conliffe)
    Thinking about it now though there are some mistakes..
    I never knew there was another book.. Is this brown book really that much better? (Then again it wont make much of a difference to change books now since the LC is in about 3 months and we are nearly finished the course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ln-1

Redisle wrote: »
    Hmm, A bit Off topic but I do applied maths in school weekly and we have always used a blue book (By Kevin Conliffe)
    Thinking about it now though there are some mistakes..
    I never knew there was another book.. Is this brown book really that much better? (Then again it wont make much of a difference to change books now since the LC is in about 3 months and we are nearly finished the course)
    Nah, I'd say go for it. The brown book is very old fashioned(its got degrees minutes seconds) But however, its about time you (or me) started exam papers and just forgot about books. But yeah browm ones much better.

Advertisement