Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - apparently my car doesn't exist

Options
  • 03-01-2008 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭

Tried to book my cars first NCT today, its been registered in Ireland since day one, I'm the second owner and I have a 2007 issued RF101 for it..

And yet it apparently doesn't exist. I never got a reminder letter about the test (although I knew it was coming), so needed the date of first registration - on my RF101 - and yet they couldn't find it.

Online system obvious failed with this, and the muppet on the phone was no use... other than demanding SGS give me a "your car does not exist" letter to show to guards if I get stopped, anyone any ideas how the hell I can get one booked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If you have a VLC then it exists - after all, you do pay road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,785 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh yes, and its in whatever database Cartell get sold too - just clearly not whatever one SGS have...

As goes the reminder letter, both me and the previous owner live(d) in the same house, so theres no way I'd not have got one if it was sent incorrectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Contact the NCTS in Citywest - not the lo-call number. Explain your story. I'm sure they'll be able to sort it out.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Go down to the NCT test center with your log book and they'll register it there and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Bring your VLC into an NCT centre - they'll put it on their system. Had to do the same when I brought in my car.

Road tax is totally seperate.

• Advertisement

Lovely... will do that next week probably

This country just swims in incompetence at times I have to say, how do you miss a vehicle (or more than one, as this thread shows) in what should be a batch DB import.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Doesn't work like that, as others have said, you have to bring the VLC into a test centre and get them to register it on their system. After a couple of days (because the electrons in their computers are REALLY slow!), you can book a test online.

blastman wrote: »
    Doesn't work like that, as others have said, you have to bring the VLC into a test centre and get them to register it on their system. After a couple of days (because the electrons in their computers are REALLY slow!), you can book a test online.

...except they are *meant* to have a copy of the vehicle registration database so they can notify people and allow you to book without you needing to visit them before hand; hence the incompetence. And indeed they did reliably notify the registered owners of all cars in the early years, to the point of telling people with scrapped vehicles to get them tested :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Tsk, you just have ridiculous expectations of competency! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The don't send notices anymore....at least I didn't get one and neither did my dad!

Is it that much to expect that you glance at the disc every now and again to make sure it's not expired??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check with Shannon?

ninty9er wrote: »
    The don't send notices anymore....at least I didn't get one and neither did my dad!

Is it that much to expect that you glance at the disc every now and again to make sure it's not expired??

What disc? My car isn't *that* old ;)

(Said it was its first NCT in the original post)

Advertisement