Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will it take?

Options
  • 03-01-2008 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi I am new here on the website but I was just wondering how long will it take to install WoW+Burning Crusade and download all the patches with 3g mobile broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The patch is, iirc, over 800megs...so along long time. Know anyone who has the game? Copy the patch to a dvd and bring it to your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WillaBizz

Ye I have a few people who have it but how could I put the patches on a disk?

All the latest patched should be in the C:\Games\World of Warcraft\Patches (replace c:\games with wherever the Warcraft folder is. Just copy them to a similar directory on your computer, and run them. Try and get the biggest patch, 2.0, and any other big ones that are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

If you have an external HD or a large flash drive you can go to your mates house and literally copy their Warcraft folder from their Program Files and put it on your computer. WoW doesn't install anything onto the registery so it should run np.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

And if using 3g mobile, well i got to say is good luck cause your going to need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

What's the quickest way to get up to date?

Havn't played it in months, over a year at least if not more. Looked in the wow box yesterday evening and only 3 of the 4 original discs are there so can't even install the basic client.

If I was to say go out and buy the burning legion box would that be all I need to play again? (damn hamster and his paladin thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Vikings wrote: »
    What's the quickest way to get up to date?

Havn't played it in months, over a year at least if not more. Looked in the wow box yesterday evening and only 3 of the 4 original discs are there so can't even install the basic client.

If I was to say go out and buy the burning legion box would that be all I need to play again? (damn hamster and his paladin thread)

Find someone who has the current version installed, copy their "World Of Warcraft" folder to an external drive, throw it onto your pc.

It does not change any registry settings or anything, its completely portable.

I'm pretty sure you can download the full client from the Blizzard site, as a trial version. I'd say you could then use this with a full account. Definatly easier/quicker if you have a hard drive and a friend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Another handy method is to purchase one of the 'trial' DVD's from Xtravision - costs less then a fiver and means no disk changes installing the basic game- best fiver I spent in ages (bearing in mind I have it installed on 5 different machines at home).

Annoying thing is I was sent one of the 'trials' for Burning Crusade ages ago from Blizzard and can't for the life of me remember where I put it :(

Xtravision you say.... I don't mind downloading the 800mb patch to get the game up to date but I sure don't fancy downloading a 3gb+ client.

Would I need to install both the original game and TBC on top of it?

• Advertisement

You'd get the trial dvd things in Gamestop as well, but i think you'd need to get the Burning Crusade as well. Best bet is copying it from a friends computer, already patched.

If say I was to buy a copy of TBC from game or similar, would I still need to get the original game on it first?

Might pick up the trial to get it reinstalled unless I can find disc number 4 :S

Nah nobody I know plays wow, probably a good thing, so that rules that one out for me.

You need both the original game and the expansion i'm afraid. You could play some of the 1-60 content without the expansion, but anything that came with the expansion, or the 2.0 patch (i.e. new races) require BC (afaik).

Ah right that's cool. Suits me so.

Might just pick up the original if I can't find my other disc and pick up one of my alts where I left off... then if I stick it out to 60 pick up burning crusade.

Actually... not having researched anything on TBC, would there be new quests etc for say a human character in any of the burning crusade areas? In the lower levels that is?

You cant actually go into the BC area's until you reach level 58 (may be 55 now, not too sure). The Dark Portal in the Blasted Lands is how you get there. You could do some of the new starting area's i think. Getting to Exodar (the Drenai capital) might be a bit of a trek though. What level/server are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Well you can actually go to outland at any level,

Just need a helpful Lock to summon you there. There is no real advantage to it though.

Apart from setting Shattrath city as your home, because you can go to any of the Cities through portals there.

Well i've a 32 priest on Earthen Ring which I kind of wanted to pick up now that leveling would be quicker, might look into moving server too as ..well, I dont know why I picked RP in the beginning!

Then I have my main which was a 60 hunter on Wildhammer, not sure what that server is like and I pretty much gave up after I hit 60 so i'm probably still in greens... kind of daunting to pick that char back up. Might give it a shot though.

If I was to change server is there anywhere out there that shows detailed populations and levels etc? So I could get an idea of going to a balanced server where not everybody is lvl 70..

Well i've a 32 priest on Earthen Ring which I kind of wanted to pick up now that leveling would be quicker, might look into moving server too as ..well, I dont know why I picked RP in the beginning!

Then I have my main which was a 60 hunter on Wildhammer, not sure what that server is like and I pretty much gave up after I hit 60 so i'm probably still in greens... kind of daunting to pick that char back up. Might give it a shot though.

You'd level your priest very very fast. Once you hit 40 and get Shadow Form, you'll be flying. As for your Hunter, you'll need BC to level him past 60. Outland is good though, and your gear pre-60 wont matter, as you'll change it all within 2 levels anyway.
    If I was to change server is there anywhere out there that shows detailed populations and levels etc? So I could get an idea of going to a balanced server where not everybody is lvl 70..
    Your not going to have much luck finding a server like that. Pretty much all the servers have a vast majority of level70's, and a lot of them are decked out in pretty nifty gear. Try one of the servers with a few boardsies. Always good to have people you know to help every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

You cant actually go into the BC area's until you reach level 58 (may be 55 now, not too sure).
    Well there is the blood elf and draenai starting zones which you need TBC to play.

You can also aska friendly mage to port you to shattrah instead of using a lock and 2 friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭KoKane

Well I recommend Outland PvP.

Alliance has quite a few irish so far, Ive heard horde do too.

I've met a couple of Irish and I've joined with 3 others.

I've been playing my char 6 days now and I'm level 23 Draeni Mage with 88 gold.
    I can try help you out at beginning if you come along

Add me as a friend
    íreland (with a Í not and I )
    :P

The other two are Kaosmage and Kyraen
    Not many and dickheads yet, which is weird compared to Shadowmoon server.

• Advertisement

Going to try either pick up the two or get some form of it installed over the weekend. I'll then try see what it's like playing the priest.. if I get some enjoyment from it then I might kick it up a gear and move it to another server or start a new toon.

I'm then going to send a bill to hamster for his inspirative thread.

edit to say, just picked up a trial version in xtravision for €2, saved me about an hour of rooting round looking for a bloody disc. Best spent €2 ever!

Advertisement