Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let it Snow

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Let it snow let it snow let it snow...lovely weather we are having!!...anyone got the snowman up and running yet??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

I'm in Mountrath as well - snow well and truly gone now!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Pictures pictures people! I'll enjoy the snow vicariously...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Mountrath

Darwin wrote: »
    I'm in Mountrath as well - snow well and truly gone now!
    Hi Darwin, yes its a pitty, all the snow gone, but I suppose the weather can be dangerous for us motorists.

Are you living in Mountrath, I taught it was just me and lots of trees and forests, mountains etc... Im an EX Dub, moved for the house prices bought my first house there last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Ex-Dub too, living here for 9 years though. Nice quiet place to live - let's hope we get snowed in next week eh?

Darwin,

Ahh yet thats it, Dublin house prices 300,000euros, Mountrath house price second hand 190,000, only about 110k in the different its worth the drive.. would'nt you agree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Matt Santos

So where in this great town did you buy?
    You must be a bit outside when you are talkin trees and forest!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

So where in this great town did you buy?
    You must be a bit outside when you are talkin trees and forest!

That's Dubs for ya!!!! :D Only kiddin, i don't mean any offence. Welcome to lovely Laois.

Kiln Lane, is were I bought, Dubs to Laois is the way forward..

Aha.... The Kiln Lane...
    I think its got pretty heavily built up there in the last few years.
    Yea its a dink of a drive now in the early mornings to the Red Cow so hopefully you are not too far past that!!
    Good little town that really needs someone to invest big on the main street.
    Have had very little dealings there of late. Must reacquaint myself with it.

Aha.... The Kiln Lane...
    I think its got pretty heavily built up there in the last few years.
    Yea its a dink of a drive now in the early mornings to the Red Cow so hopefully you are not too far past that!!
    Good little town that really needs someone to invest big on the main street.
    Have had very little dealings there of late. Must reacquaint myself with it.
    Hi Matt,

Thats it, but my drive is not too bad just down to Kildare and back each day no real traffic compared to Dublin, 42 Miles one way can do it under 1 hour at the speed limit....:o)

Are you living in Mountrath yourself or nearby?

• Advertisement

Nope! Not living there at the moment but have some very strong links and have done some time there in the past.
    Was there as recently as New Years Eve!!
    If I could get some serious cash together I would be making a serious investment in the town knowing what is ahead for it. A lot of hidden wealth and its only a matter of time till someone taps into it IMO.
    Best of luck with your purchase and hope you have many happy years in town.

Matt

Nope! Not living there at the moment but have some very strong links and have done some time there in the past.
    Was there as recently as New Years Eve!!
    If I could get some serious cash together I would be making a serious investment in the town knowing what is ahead for it. A lot of hidden wealth and its only a matter of time till someone taps into it IMO.
    Best of luck with your purchase and hope you have many happy years in town.

Matt

Hi Matt,

As im an EX Dub, I can see were things in Mountrath could help the town

1) The traffic problems but I believe the Roads people are working on the outer ring road, there is far too much traffic passing through Mountrath
    2) A few more shops or employment options would help but it is a small town so only so much can be done
    3) Internet is a killer 3G is good for me then there is only Digiweb, the phone lines cannot use broadband as the lines are rubbish and are not upgraded promised by a certain phone company
    4) When will the Gas be installed, oil prices are too high
    5) Better transport options, I think Bus Eireann is there but the train station closed in 1976 I believe
    6) Open a gym I want to get fit

With reference to all of the above most can be helped if you travel to Portlaoise, but lets build Mountrath, however if it ever catches up with Dublin I can see a lovely town fall into the wrong hands

A few good points but when the by pass open up traffic will be a thing of the past. The road through the town is desperate and really needs to be closed down for a fortnight if needs be and done properly. The corner at the square is nothing short of scandalous with ridges of tar nearly a foot high!!
    A decent hotel in the town is certainly required with a kick ass bar and decent night club. I know the obvious thing is to travel to Portlaoise but the town has a huge catchment area with Camross, Castletown, T*****a and the surrounding areas ever increasing population.
    That derelict site across from the Fountain Bar is a real eye sore and has great development potential.
    There is no huge crime rate or even that potential element of hoodied covered youths roaming the town either so its only a matter of time before someone goes into the tank and comes up with a serious redevelopment plan for the town.

Personally I would love to see a good Hotel operator to come into the town and give it a good shake up. (Could make for Matt Santos to make a return then!!);)

A few good points but when the by pass open up traffic will be a thing of the past. The road through the town is desperate and really needs to be closed down for a fortnight if needs be and done properly. The corner at the square is nothing short of scandalous with ridges of tar nearly a foot high!!
    A decent hotel in the town is certainly required with a kick ass bar and decent night club. I know the obvious thing is to travel to Portlaoise but the town has a huge catchment area with Camross, Castletown, T*****a and the surrounding areas ever increasing population.
    That derelict site across from the Fountain Bar is a real eye sore and has great development potential.
    There is no huge crime rate or even that potential element of hoodied covered youths roaming the town either so its only a matter of time before someone goes into the tank and comes up with a serious redevelopment plan for the town.

Personally I would love to see a good Hotel operator to come into the town and give it a good shake up. (Could make for Matt Santos to make a return then!!);)
    Sounds like a good plan, however if a Hotel/pub/Club was built then it needs revenue to stay open, with the growth of the town reaching 2000people in 2006 surely we would need more people from all ends of the country to get things going. With Tullamore one way, Carlow the other and Portlaoise just up the road it would may prove difficult to pull people away from there locals into a new experience, when I look at Mountrath I see a small town, with local older people having a good chat, everybody is local and everybody knows each other, as im an Ex Dub sometimes I feel that little bit home sick, regarding shops, pubs, Clubs and many more things Dublin can offer. Mountrath is a lovely town and I can see get prospects for the town into the future.

We'll have to wait and see the hotel may be a good idea but I think the town needs to be built up a little bit more, on the employment, shops, growth etc before I can see the hotel thing working, thats my point of view as im only one person other people may think alike or differently.

It would be good to see a fresh look at the town, as for myself its a house to live in to comute back and forward to work, in regards to activities, I would like to see something like a gym opening in Mountrath and something for the young people to get involved with, some clubs or sporting events.

Most people probably sit in the pub all day as there is nothing else to do?..

Mountrath wrote: »
    Sounds like a good plan, however if a Hotel/pub/Club was built then it needs revenue to stay open, with the growth of the town reaching 2000people in 2006 surely we would need more people from all ends of the country to get things going. With Tullamore one way, Carlow the other and Portlaoise just up the road it would may prove difficult to pull people away from there locals into a new experience, when I look at Mountrath I see a small town, with local older people having a good chat, everybody is local and everybody knows each other, as im an Ex Dub sometimes I feel that little bit home sick, regarding shops, pubs, Clubs and many more things Dublin can offer. Mountrath is a lovely town and I can see get prospects for the town into the future.

We'll have to wait and see the hotel may be a good idea but I think the town needs to be built up a little bit more, on the employment, shops, growth etc before I can see the hotel thing working, thats my point of view as im only one person other people may think alike or differently.

It would be good to see a fresh look at the town, as for myself its a house to live in to comute back and forward to work, in regards to activities, I would like to see something like a gym opening in Mountrath and something for the young people to get involved with, some clubs or sporting events.

Most people probably sit in the pub all day as there is nothing else to do?..

Have a look at the attached not sure if this is old or New LCC plans for the future for Mountrath

http://www.laois.ie/media/Media,4011,en.pdf

Advertisement