Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recessed LED's

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Can anyone give me some advice on recessed lighting. I am strongly considering having recessed lighting installed. I have done some research on it and am coming to the conclusion that it is a lot of hassle. Along with this I was listening to a radio discussion this evening where Duncan Stewart said that anyone who installs recessed lighting is basically mad and this type of lighting is a potential fire hazard, I am considering installing it in the hall, tv room - part of the ceiling in this room is insulated -kitchen landing and bathroom. Duncan advised people who really want to go this route to install recessed LED's - can dimmers be used with these and have any of you had experience of them? I do think that recessed lighting looks great and adds to a house however am now really unsure of what to do particularly as spotlights will be outlawed next year and would really appreciate some opinions and advice
    Thanks for your help:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I responded to this in another thread... I'll paste here for simplicity...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055193375&page=2

I just heard that discussion, and yes I agree - if the downlighters are incorrectly installed without proper clearance from combustibles they will pose a problem. Add to that the perforation in the ceiling which acts as hot air vent... they just aren't a great design!
    In relation to LED's, as he said there is now an LED solution which can be dimmed, but I didn't catch the address.
    One thing is for sure, you'll be looking at €30 per lamp fitting!

Advertisement