Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there many free wifi hotspots in Waterford?

Options
  • 04-01-2008 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I bought an ipod touch recently and I can use it to check mail etc when I'm in a wifi area.

I know theres free wifi in the Woodlands Hotel, and so I drop in there from time to time for a coffee and check my email.

Are there any other places in Waterford that have free wifi? Wouldnt it be great to have a few coffee shops that had it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've not been able to find any hotspots. Haven't tried in a while though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Eircom have the hotspots if your a customer..

The Tower Hotel have free Wifi, and im sure the other hotels do to!

Free?

Any hotel I've been to (Not in Waterford though, but everywhere else in Ireland/Eu) charge for t'internet in hotels!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think the tower gives it for free. Not sure about the rest..

Eeeexcellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Yeah the Tower is the business hub of many a cheap business person who uses the place as their office.

McDonalds and Cafe Kylemore also offer free hotspots and interestingly enough, Eircom are now making their phone boxes wifi enabled, allowing to browse for free within 50ft of a phone box!

There's also a plethora of unsecured networks within the city centre which you can get onto without much trouble... and with the owners permission of course!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Not sure about free, but a friend of mine drove around Waterford City last year and mapped out all the wireless points he could find (he had software to do this), its insane the amount of open access points there are.

He manage to map this to google earth so its really easy find a hotspot using his map :)

Of course from a legal point of view I wouldn't recommend it.

I know there's a few FON.com access points in Waterford, not too many mind you...I used to operate one in Poleberry but I've had it switched off for weeks now as it keeps using the wrong network and as such only provides less then dialup net access o wasn't worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

McDonalds and Cafe Kylemore also offer free hotspots and interestingly enough, Eircom are now making their phone boxes wifi enabled, allowing to browse for free within 50ft of a phone box!

Are you sure these are free?

McDonalds and Kylemore are Wifi Hotspots with eircom. You have to pay to use them, there not free. Also, the Eircom phone boxes are for paying customers of Eircom - the new broadband offer explains the "internet everywhere" - which is the use of such businesses and phone boxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

i think Statoil on the manor has free access....

• Advertisement

Typhoon. wrote: »
    i think Statoil on the manor has free access....

Another Eircom Hot Spot IIRC

Also, the "free" eircom hotspots for eircom customers expires in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭manTime

Theres my neighbours wifi on yellow road - I know cause I steal it

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭antog86

6 cross roads have plenty of unsecured networks that you can tap into....

Woodlands Hotel offers free wi-fi..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

McDonals have free wi fi
    Revolution and Masons haave free acces but u have to ask for free scratch card at the bar

McDonals have free wi fi
    No, they have eircom hotspots, which are only free to eircom broadband customers until April 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jimmytheman

ok - but Revolution and Masons have a console in the bars with lotters tickets, mobile top up and wi fi - it says ask at bar for scratch card - the guy in Revolution said they are free!!! wow - something free in a pub - what next free drinks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Geoffs have free wi-fi, ask one of the rock stars behind the bar for the password and you might get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

To the owners of :

Superquinn cafe
    Ardkeen stores cafe
    The Cove bar
    Sumatra cafe
    The little cafe in the park
    The 3 shippes

I'd like free wifi please

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Tch! You won't get nothin' off the owners of The Cove!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 or2dee2

just wondering if there is free wifi in WRH, can you use a laptop in the hospital???

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Bol_Whelan

Sully wrote: »
    Woodlands Hotel offers free wi-fi..
    If you park close enough, you don't even need to leave the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

KFC have it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

city library works for me when I'm down around the town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Tablets only. And you'll need a prescription :)
    or2dee2 wrote: »
    just wondering if there is free wifi in WRH, can you use a laptop in the hospital???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 or2dee2

bullpost wrote: »
    Tablets only. And you'll need a prescription :)

was wondering how long it would take:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Kahless wrote: »
    No, they have eircom hotspots, which are only free to eircom broadband customers until April 22.

No their free. You go in, see the eircom network, clicked connect and it works. You might have to register email and password(no connection to eircom home services) and it works. Have used it alot lately. If anyone ever sees "seans iphone" broadcasting feel free to conect I always forget to stop tethering, gotta love three and their 15GB allowance :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Treacys hotel has free wifi too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Trotter wrote: »
    To the owners of :

The Cove bar

I'd like free wifi please

:D

They do have free WiFi :D

Advertisement